AVS Forum banner

How much would you pay for import HD-DVD (or have you paid)

• IÂ’m cheap, never pay more than $25.

Votes: 36 21.2%
  • $30 is my limit.

Votes: 38 22.4%
  • $35

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • $40, but only because my kids really love Harry Potter ;)

Votes: 19 11.2%
  • $50 but only for a great film.

Votes: 23 13.5%
  • IÂ’ll pay any amount for more HD-DVD goodness.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • IÂ’d pay any amount for 1 or 2 titles that I REALLY love.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I used to buy laserdiscs and think import HD-DVDs are a great deal :)

Votes: 12 7.1%
  • IÂ’m a dotcom billionaire and want to finance Nightfly13Â’s import HD-DVD collection!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - Nightfly13 sucks at giving poll options (post accordingly)

Votes: 7 4.1%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the HD-DVD CES announcements, claiming 300 more titles equalling 600, it's easy to extrapolate they are counting on massive numbers of imports being available. The flaw with that logic, imo, is that imports are prohibitively expensive for many buyers. Let's see if I'm right.

I realize I might be the exception - I don't own any import movies, but then I have 28 HD-DVDs that I haven't been able to watch yet (my gear is coming to me slowly since I live in India). But looking at the list from xploitedcinema.com - while there are two I would ordinarily buy (3 or 4 once the Underworld movies show up), I won't consider them at $37-45 plus whatever they change for shipping. Am I extraordinarily cheap?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I have (by my standards) a lot of HD DVDs, about 50.... and about 20 Blu-ray movies too, Id import discs of either format as long as it was something I really loved a lot. Id pay 50 bux or possibly more depending on which film it was.

·
Banned
515 Posts
I'm still kicking myself for paying what I paid for Equilibrium but I guess that shows that I'll pay $50-60 on **extremely** rare occasions (can count them on one hand probably) where a film is:

(1) a personal favorite;

(2) the transfer is top notch and there is a tangible improvement over an upconverted DVD version (i.e. likely to be almost exclusively action movies); and

(3) I know I'll be watching it multiple times (i.e., 10-20 times during a year.)

Outside of that, anything over $18ish US is likely to be a no go.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I've paid just over $40 + shipping. Now that I'm dual formatted, I'm not importing any more movies that I can get on BD for much cheaper.

To answer your question... Not a penny more than it cost on BD.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'll pay $50, more depending on how much I enjoyed the film, the quality, etc..

I paid $80 + Shipping for Ghost in the Shell: Innocence on Blu Ray and am used to the higher import prices from importing other media content (PS2 games, DVD Movies, Audio CD's, etc..) over the past few years. I wouldnt buy any movie I'm interested in, but ones I love that might never make their way here I can spend a little extra on, once in a while.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J /forum/post/0

What if its not available on BD?

J

Good question. If I had to have the movie right now... like you said, "I can see me paying an obscene amount for an import that I really loved."

·
Registered
750 Posts
Given that I live in the UK, I import most of my HD DVDs from the US, and, with the current exchange rate, get a much better deal on them than I would end up paying locally. From a UK perspective, American titles are ridiculously cheap. UK and mainland European titles, on the other hand, are somewhat more expensive, although not unreasonable.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you are looking at price, a great import that IMO is a must have is the german copy of Running Scared available at xploitedcinema.com and is roughly $33 shipped. Great fast paced movie, easily one of my all time favorites

I just picked up equilibrium from xploitedcinema and really want to get the gift.

so I would say my price range for must have titkes is in the high $30's.

I can't recommend a site other than xploitedcinema.com. they have been extremely consistent in responding to emails and will continue to get my business.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I paid just under 30 bucks for the UK HD-DVD of La Haine. That's where I'd like to cap the amount I'll shell out for imported discs.

And I'll only purchase movies that likely won't see a HD release in the states for a long time(if ever). La Haine may never hit HD-DVD or Blu-ray over here. It's only coming out on Region 1 SD-DVD for the first time in a few months. On the other hand, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire will be out by the summer, so I'm not forking over 30+ bucks for something I can get for under 20 in the not-too-distant future.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The logical follow-up to this poll is how much would you pay if (God forbid) something like LotR was only BRD (or import HD-DVD). I'm sorry to say that for the EE in 1080p with good audio I'd spend a shameful amount, maybe $75 each... but at that point I start hunting for a Blu-Ray player, despite the fact that I'm trying to be loyal to HD-DVD.

I guess that answer my question: how much is my allegience to HD-DVD worth? The Star Wars or LotR Trilogies, that's how much. I figure universal players will be ubiquitous and cheap by the time Lucas gets around to releasing Eps IV-VI in 1080p, that's like giving away a piece of his soul for him (exagerating wildly based on his slow release of the DVDs - but boy did he compensate!).

·
Registered
44 Posts
It depends on what the film is, how good the disc is & the likelihood of it being released domestically (in the UK)

That said, it's so much cheaper for us Brits to import all of our titles from the US, that I now think of US releases as 'domestic'.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.