AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many times during the day do you cycle your projectors off and on?

I turn my regular TV on and off several times a day, but I understand it is a bad idea to do this with projectors...I have a Sanyo Z1 on order and I'm trying to figure out how to handle this. Do most of you switch your projectors on and leave them on during the day? Do you set aside a block of time to leave them on? What do you do?

·
Registered
6 Posts
greetings,

sanyon plv60-ht and only turn on when watching a set of DVDs or gaming for decent periods of time

i have heard that the hard power switch should stay in the on position due to the initial "shock" surge when turning the hard switch on, however, i prefer to turn everything off and unplug the power cord (can never be too safe and dont have ups protection yet)

lastly, i have probably only turned off my 1994 sony trinitron 20" 100 times and at one point it stayed on for 2 years straight (kudos to sony)

Best wishes,

Beau

·
Registered
85 Posts
On weekends I may cycle it twice a day but once on weekdays (L300U). I have to get my wife used to this. She usually want to watch a 30 minute show and walk a way from it. So i have to explain to here that this is not a regular TV and that every minute the PJ is on is precious and shouldn't be wasted on silly TV shows. After she smacks she says I'm psycho.

Rick

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm sure I'm not the only one here but I turn mine on almost at least 2-3 times a day. I guess I still treat it like a tv. The longest I have had it on is probably 4 straight during a football game. I would turn it on once a day but since I have a hd box connected to it, regular tv is so much more pleasing to the eyes than my old analog connection.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Please don't take this as a criticism, because I do the same things sometime. But I think we are too worried about our projectors. These things are relatively robust devices that are built to withstand many power on/off sequences in all conditions.

I really don't understand why "every minute the PJ is on is precious and shouldn't be wasted on silly TV shows". Whether you use it or not, it still is going to depreciate at about the same rate, the technology will continue to advance and make your PJ obsolete, and you'll be missing out on the enjoyment of using it for any and all viewing.

Of course, the variable cost based on use is the lamp. Even if a new lamp costs $500 and it only lasts 1,000 hours, that's still only 50 cents an hour.

For some reason, whenever we have a front PJ setup, most of us (me included sometimes) get anal about babying our PJ. If we had an LCD or DLP based RPTV, we'd use it like a regular TV and never think twice about it.

Maybe we are all psycho! :D

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Usually just once a day when I am using the PJ and when I use the pj I use the pj. Like 3+ hours during weeknights it will be on when it is in use. For weekends that goes ot like 4-5+ hours.

I also have the z1.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Usually just once a day in the evening. Sometimes on the weekend I'll have a morning and evening session. Mostly DVDs / Xbox / HDTV. I'll use the 32" direct view set for DirecTiVo.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems there is no clear consensus on this, though most of you appear to cycle your machines only once in a given day.

Thanks to all of you for responding!

·
Registered
102 Posts
At most, 2 on/off cycles a day, though usually it's only one on/off cycle. I guess I kinda share Steve13's view. I'm not worried about wasting the bulb on what's being projected as long as I'm watching it. Besides, Monster Garage looks better on a big screen.

I also have a Z!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
About 4 times a week I'll fire her up. It's only used for movies, a standard 36" Sony fills in for the casual TV viewing.

Of the 3.5 months I've had it, I've only put on 120 hours. At this rate I doubt I'll hit 500 hours for 1 year.

Peace Out~:D

·
Registered
334 Posts
Daily - it replaced a 27" 4:3 tv. Used to view TV, VCR replays and of course DVD's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I find myself avoiding the temptation to turn it on unless I can commit several hours of viewing. Of course DVDs, but I also use it for my X-Box, and Sat. But I only view Sat. stuff if its in HD, or is NFL or NBA. My longest run time has been ~8 hours of continious viewing, my shortest has been a 45 min Madden 2004 gameplay. My wife left the L300u on (without input) for ~24 hours once. I got in late April, and have ~350 hours on it. I have seen no decline in image quality through this time, and at this rate the bulb that came with it should last until I'm ready to upgrade the projector.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I turn it on just for DVD movies, sometimes two in a row. I leave it on when I go out to get junk food in the middle of or berween movies. I do not want to restart it, if the bulb is hot.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I use it pretty much for whatever and turn it on/off a few (many on a few occasions) times a day. I dont really think about it and just enjoy it. I figure the bulb could just blow at anytime anyway so might as well enjoy it for everything. I got the panny 300 in may and have 560 hrs on that bad boy and have noticed no loss of brightness/image quality.I love the panny so far, no issues whatsoever

·
Registered
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve13
But I think we are too worried about our projectors. These things are relatively robust devices that are built to withstand many power on/off sequences in all conditions.

I really don't understand why "every minute the PJ is on is precious and shouldn't be wasted on silly TV shows". .

Maybe we are all psycho! :D

So right Steve! I use my pj for everything from surfing the internet to satelite tv watching to movies. I cycle my pj 2 - 3 times a day. I run it for about four to six hours a day except for saturdays (college football) when it runs all day. It helps that my bulb is rated at 6000 hours though.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Having had my FP for a few days now, I find myself trying not to worry about using it too much. I don't turn it on for a few minutes at a time, but I do use it/tweak it for several hours a day.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My "once a day" wasn't so much that I was worried about harming the projector, but more that I usually only have "once a day" when I have the free time to sit down and watch something. Work tends to interfere with my projector watching, but it did pay for the thing. So I sit down in the evening, fire up the projector, watch my DVDs / HDTV / Xbox. I'm not worried about the hours put on the bulb as it's down to $0.075 / hour to burn the bulb. Or 13 hours for a buck. If I run it all day on a weekend I don't care. I can literally pay for that with pocket change.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I guess in comparison to most of you, I am somewhat careless with my lamp life. I got my AE300 in April and have over 1100 hours on it. I have found myself falling asleep watching a movie and left it on overnight on several occasions. I have been spending the last couple weeks setting up girder to control all my devices remoteley, so that I can 'pre-warm' my pj from work if I am coming home to watch a new DVD or a CFL football game, and in the process of tweaking girder to do this by internet event, or by email, I have probably turned the pj on and off as much as dozen times a day to test things out and ensure they working properly. I have not worried about it, as if the worst happens and it completely dies, it is just a good excuse to upgrade :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.