AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious as to how often you people upgrade your digital projectors? I bought my LP340 (V) in March, and I already feel like I have an "obsolete" projector. The used value of my projector is at least $1000 less than what I paid just a few months ago! I was hoping to recoup most of my investment when "the next big thing" comes along, but now that looks pretty bleak. This is worse than buying a PC... I've seen posts from users who have gone through 8-9 projectors... how does one afford to do this?

·
Registered
728 Posts
"how does one afford to do this? "

The money saved on not having a spouse more than pays for a new projector every few months.

But seriously, there are some fairly fanatical and well-off people prowling these forums. In medical terms, they are known as Eccentrics. Those less well off are just plain crazy.

apg

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Ryan,

I'm averaging about one new projector every 6 months, but I know that I can't keep it up.

It's just like computer upgrades. There is a point where the current value of the "older" equipment is still relatively high compared to the new one, so you can sell it and buy the new equipment only paying the difference in price.

The trick is buying good products that hold their value well.

It's kinda like leasing a car. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

-Dean.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Ryan-

If your projector gives you pleasure it is not obsolete. No matter what projector anyone buys at a certain point it will no longer be the latest and the greatest. Besides you have a projector that does a good job at its price point and will show a HDTV signal as well. Those who beamed with pride 12 months ago with their $6000 Sony 10HT are now looking at a used projector that is worth $3000. But their projector still shows well and provides a lot of pleasure. The LP340 as a used machine is worth about 1800-2000 so your depreciatation is not that bad and you have used it and hopefully enjoyed it. It is holding its value better than some projectors because for those needing to buy used can get a projector that doesn't need an external scaler. Many folks here still enjoy their Davis DL450 which is really old but not obsolete if image quality is your goal.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Buying a new lamp for my G11 feels like a upgrade or downgrade on my pocket book.

Until there are significant technical improvements I will be happy with my calibrated DILA. Would like my next projector to be the following. 1920x1080 3 chip DILA or DLP, DVI and FireWire inputs, 2000 lumens, 1000:1 contrast ratio, <30db fan, longer life 65000k lamp, <$10,000. DREAM ON!

------------------
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...nce=0&res=high

William

[This message has been edited by William (edited 09-05-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.