AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a similar thread running on Digital Hi-end Projectors Forum and thought it would be interesting here- even Alan Gouger responded (no- he did not reveal his age)

it is fascinating to learn a little about others with the same interests- plasma and LCD displays- our ages and what we do to support our outrageously expensive passion

myself I am 55 years young, have a wife but no kids, and am CEO of a design/engineering/manufacturing company- I have always had a love of Broadcasting- worked as a kid at a local FM radio station, and got my Ham license at age 11- no longer on the air- but still an audio/videophile

Anyone else?

Mark:)

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Mark,

We had a similar post about a year ago, but thats okay, I'm game.

I'm 47 years old, married- I think you can figure out my wifes name, two kids- one currently in College and one in the Marines. I am a Civil Servant for the Department of Defense- Procurement, which will include anything from a can of Soup to Major Weapons Systems for our Men and Women in the Armed Forces- God Bless Them and Keep them Safe.

I was bitten by the Plasma and Home Theater bug about three years ago and I will never turn back.

I want to personally thank all of you for the many tips, advice and knowledge that I have had the pleasure of reading here on this forum.

Keep up the good work and "Happy Plasma-ing".

Dave

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Hi, my name is Esben, and I'm a plasmaholic. :D

I'm 18 years old, worked as technician and with technical support (not much) at Canopus Scandinavia, but quit 5 months ago. Now I attend a normal school, where I'm done in summer 2004. Then I'll attend the army (no choice) to become lieutenant (done in 2006). After that, I'm not sure what I'll study, but perhaps it'll be law.

I live with my parents and have a 14sqm room in the basement of my their house (312sqm). My mom is a pharmaceutical and my dad works with mainframes. In addition I have a sweet littlesister at 8 years which attends normal public school and a brother at 24 in the process of becoming an graduate electrical engineer or electronics engineer. Don't know which one is the correct one. :)

I joined the 4UY-club 13 months ago and am using it as my normal PC-monitor ever since. Instead of going to clubs/discos/bars getting drunk and using all my money on that I worked a lot and I saved up to buy the plasma.

First I considered a Sony G500 21" CRT screen, then the FW900 24" screen, but then I got a great deal on the 4UY (~$4700).

I guess I'm the youngest member in the plasma section. :)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Hi mark,

I'm 32 yo,I'm married no kids(yet).I'm a jet engine mechanic for UAL.I live in San Francisco CA(Best city on earth).The plasma bug bit me about a year ago.The first plasma I ever saw in person was an nec and it looked stunning!I'm so addicted now I can't stop!!!Someone help me!!!!Is there such a thing as PA(plasmas anonymous)?I'm itching for a 50" now!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Esben
I guess I'm the youngest member in the plasma section. :)
I'm 17. :p

Well, as you might expect, I'm a student, a senior in high school.

In two years' time, I evolved from total novice in A/V to someone who can put salesmen at all the local stores to shame. I first got interested in mp3s and oggs, then in DVD ripping and divx, then started looking more and more into A/V hardware. I've convinced my parents to let me assemble a home theater. The heart of it, the plasma, will arrive on Wednesday, and by next weekend everything should be done, including OTA reception.

I'll post pictures and the story of how it all came together then.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zambaretzu
and with a major dose of luck, future Stanford student.
sweet. congrats.

i'm 25. graduated law school and just passed the bar last week :) . got started in Home Theater with a 46" Mits HDTV, been bitten since. growing up around questionable people, who are all now legit though, i always buy my stuff at good deals. like a mirage 7.1 system which retails for over $4,000, for $1,100, brand new. this is the only way i am able to get into this hobby, as i have never held a full time job my whole life :D.

plasma bug hit when i saw Sampo PDP at costco for $3,000. not one to jump out and buy first thing i see, i ventured back into avs to check things out. looks like i will be buying a panny WD for my room in new house being built.

·
Registered
154 Posts
40 years old, single. Managed local movie theater from 1984 to 1998, now work for an ISP. Have had a home theater / surround-sound system since March 1995, originally centered around a JVC 27" TV. Got a Panny TH-42PHW5 end of Sept 2002. Have 163 DVDs (including 14 box sets each counted as one). Have upwards of 600 VHS tapes (haven't counted them in several years), slowly replacing favorites with DVDs.

My current "amateur" system, a mix of old and new --

Panasonic TH-42PHW5 plasma (model # per label on back)

Sony STR-D940 receiver

Advent Legacy III left/right

Advent Audio Cinema center

Polk M3-II surrounds

DCM SUB-710 subwoofer

Toshiba SD-4800 DVD (replaced Sony DVP-S560D, which I still have)

JVC HR-D530U VCR

Sony SLV-N70 VCR

MCS-6600 turntable

Shure V15-IV cartridge

Sony TC-K620 cassette

Sony CDP-C445 CD

·
Registered
129 Posts
44, married with two kids. One in college at UCSD. One in high school. I run an engineering, product development business, a small manufacturing business, and two e-commerce websites. In my spare time, I race cars, coach a lot of soccer, play volleyball. I live in San Diego.

I also spend a lot of time administrating Vbb forums, such as dvdtalk.com.

I collect movies, and have over 500 DVDS and over 1000 laserdiscs. I have been collecting since the early 80s.

My plan is purchase a Panasonic Plasma soon, and have been heavily (daily) researching all the info I can absorb here. I am very thankful for all the people that contribute to this forum.

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
33, married + 2 kids, living in ol' quiet Israel.

Bit by the HT bug about 3 years ago, and got my first plasma about 2.5 years ago.

I'm a software programmer by trade, and I'm a technical director of a software/hardware company (nothing to do with HT).

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
60 years young, widower, 3 grown children, recently engaged (it’s never too late:D). Been an audiophile for longer than I can remember and fell into the video trap long ago. Most of my career was with a large bank, largely in Information Technology. Ran a computer centre, was a mainframe software and systems programmer, application programmer, systems analyst, and project manager. Spent over 20 years in senior management positions. Left banking almost 10 years ago to go on my own as an independent IT consultant, specializing in project management. Did a big project with Nortel Networks a couple of years ago (when they actually had money) and won an outstanding achievement award in recognition of my efforts.

I second cheridave’s comments about this amazing forum.:)

·
Registered
194 Posts
38, married, one 2 year old son. I just finished my training in Orthopaedic surgery at LSU-New Orleans/Charity Hospital. I am now in the US Air Force paying back a commitment for med school scholarship. Prior helicopter pilot in the Army so the military is kinda home for me.

I am new to the HT scene. I assembled a "B" grade 5.1 audio system a few months ago with a Harmon Kardon receiver and Boston Acoustics Speakers.

Got my Pioneer 503cmx last week and set-up over Thanksgiving. I will post a "report" with pictures soon.

My next project is a HTPC.

Scott

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm 40 (41 a week from tomorrow). This isn't quite old enough for me to start yelling at those damned kids to get off my lawn....

I work for a little mom & pop shop called "IBM". Strangely enough, I help design and deploy business solutions. This whole computer and internet thing is probably just a fad though.

--Karl

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
31 year old psychiatrist, married to a psychiatrist, both finished training recently. My friend from med school got me into home theater about 7 years ago. It started with a 27 inch Panasonic and an Aiwa mini-system with surround speakers. Right now we have a 36 inch Panny and a lame old Technics receiver and 3 channel surround. I can't wait to get a plasma, but I'm holding off for a 50" with DVI/HDCP and a digital tuner, or at least the ability to upgrade to that, and also for the prices to drop a little more. Probably spring. I'll get a new receiver, speakers, DVD/SACD/DVD-Audio player all at the same time.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Im 36, married with a boy and a girl. Studied philosophy of physics at UC Davis (go ags!) and have been working at a golf course as a shop assistant and professional clubmaker for the last 12 years....go figure. My first ht was in 1994. System included: 31" RCA tv, Klipsch KG 4.5 mains, Kv1 center, KG 2.5 rears, Yamaha RV-550 receiver, RCA vcr, Yamaha cd-650 , Monster cables. This was your typical GG purchase.

Bought my first dvd-ld player in 1997 and the only place in Nor. Ca. that I could find dvds was a little shop called Audio FX (great place even today!). My first dvd title came with the purchase of my Pioneer player...Jumanji. Friends were amazed at the pq, ac-3 surround, and the novelty of having movies and "extras" stored on a "cd-disc". It felt good to be the king!! lol!

Today, I have an NEC 42MP3 in ht-only room with NHT 2.5i (mains), B&W DM601 SE (rears), Mirage OMC3 (center), Denon 4800 receiver, Acurus A200 200wpc x2 amp (for NHTs), Sony DVP-S9000es, Mitsubishi HU-440 vcr, Transparent digital and analog cables, DH Labs speaker cables.

In the family room we have Panasonic 40" lcd rptv, Samsung TIR-150 (hd-ota), Tivo, X-Box, Dss sat. and basic cable.

Regards,

Ricky

·
Registered
897 Posts
Im 20 and a SBE Certified broadcast technician, Extra class amateur radio operator, and single. I operate a satellite uplink truck for Sinclair Group. I went to college for 2 years while freelancing as a uplink engineer, but I wasn't learning anything new so I went fulltime. Im currently working on a "Apartment Theater" :) Im upgrading to a 503CMX and for audio I have a Sunfire Ultimate. I working on building an ATPC from parts (my version of a HTPC) but its a few weeks away from completion. When Im not watching, I like rock climbing, mtn biking, and skiing.

bob

·
Registered
996 Posts
I am 39, and run a software sub of a larger company. Married with 6 kids, 10, 8, 5, 4, 2, 0.

Just really into technology of all kinds. Built a theater in my house with stadium seating, 120" screen, etc about 2 years ago. Which turned me onto AVSforum.

Ventured onto the plasma forum about 2 months ago when A Dell deal was going on. Became addicted. Cool technology that I could not justify at $15k but could at $5k. Also wanted to build the ultimate game room for my kids. Now have all but 1 of the primary HDTV monitor technologies, Direct view, RPTV, LCD, Plasma, Projector. Still don't have DLP of any kind. Out of all these choices I watched the RAMS suck eggs on Plasma. I don't care what anyone saids, HDTV on Plasma is superior.

Feel like this forum has really educated me on AV technology. I view AVSForum as being where the most advanced AV people world-wide hang out.

I personally like these questions because it give you a little better perspective when posting to one another. Looking at the info above I was way wrong in my assumptions of several above.

-Jym-

·
Registered
15,352 Posts
- Just turned 39

- Have worked in most areas of Film Production and Post Production, including directing some shorts.

- These days I'm a Sound Effects Editor for film/television (BTW, I'm currently working on a very funny, caustic animated series for VH1 called "Hey Joel," which mercilessly skewers the reputation of music and TV industry "guest" celebrities. I'm sure the producers are ready for lawsuits when it airs. But it is a guilty laugh).

- Played keyboards for over a decade in a 15 member dance band called CHUNK O' FUNK.

- Two awesome little boys to my brood.

- One wife. (Who has put up with my High-End Audio and Home Theater shenanigans throughout the years...and now has to put up with my buying pet reptiles for my son).

I've owned my plasma for half a year, yet....I....just....can't....stop....coming...to....this.... .forum.

Rich.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
51, married with two kids in high school (son/sophomore, daughter/senior), two dogs, four cats and one fish. Aerospace engineer, by training. Spent the last 30 years or so with various large defense companies in Southern California, most recently at Lockheed Martin's Skunk Works. Left there about 4 years ago to do consulting work, which I still do.

I started my career writing software for military systems so I've always been into computers and programming. I've also had a long interest in photography which then led me into video, which got me here. I signed up for DirecTV when they first started, after having a C-band monster for several years. I got my first plasma this past summer (Pio 433 CMX...) and am now looking to move it upstairs and replace it with a 50-inch (not sure which yet, probably the 503 but waiting for the dust to settle on availability of new models w/ DVI-HDTV/HDCP...) right after the holidays. I recently bought a Sony 17-inch 16:9 LCD monitor that also has a component 1080i/720p input, which I'm using now as part of a "portable" HDTV system (using an antenna on a tripod and my old Hughes E86 as an ATSC tuner...). We just spent the week over Thanksgiving up in Santa Barbara at a beach house and this setup worked great, although I had to share the monitor's use with my son and his Xbox, once he found out about it!

Gotta hurry with my toy buying quests as my daughter is looking at expensive private schools (Pepperdine and USD...). My son, god love 'em, wants to go to the Naval Acadamy and be a fighter pilot (all he's talked about since he was nine...). Anyway, my wife "tolerates" my toy aquisition pursuits (she calls me a "vidiot"...) so long as it doesn't get in the way of her playing tennis every day.

-- Gary

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.