AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted an earlier thread about different receivers I was considering (a bunch of pioneers, Maranrz's etc).

After listening to a bunch at BB, I was about to pull the trigger on a SC-35, but before I did wanted to ask a philosophical question: if features really don't matter to me, and all I want is a receiver to power my speakers well (deftech procinema 1000....room is about 20x15) am I getting any objective benefit by buying the SC-35 than say a VSX-1121, marants sr5005 or any other of the less expensive receivers?

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
To properly answer you need to know the room size, listening distance from speakers, speaker sensitivity, and desired volume (loudness) level. For starters.

The amps in the SC-35 are a big step above most AVRs in sustained power, but I would look at the other features and not base the decision on amp power. Finally, amp power specs are slippery. They are usually specified for two channels, and power output often drops considerably with all channels driven. This may or may not matter in the real world and your system, but you have to read reviews to find out how much. The SC-series loses hardly any power, my old Yamaha and newer Denon only a little, and my fairly new Sony drops like a rock with all channels driven (100+ W spec down to ~30 W tested with all channels driven). However, even the Sony may do fine in your system.

Bottom line: If all other features are excluded, then you have to do a little more research to determine if the SC-35's "stronger" amps are of benefit to you. I would never base a buying decision on power alone, however. Those other features are most of what you are looking for...

HTH - Don

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Don't try to compare receiver power specs, IMO. There's too many variables. I attempt to explain why in some of the stickied FAQs.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I'd base my buying decision strictly on how often you upgrade electronics. Do you plan on having this receiver for the next 5+ years? If so, I'd spend the extra money and get the SC-35. It sells for such a decent price right now that I'd rather have that than a lower end model. If you ever buy more speakers in the future, or higher power speakers, or want to expand your theater to a bigger room, add more components etc... Then you're set.

Rather than buying something for $400-$500 bucks and in a year deciding you want something better. Why not just spend the extra couple hundred now!

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20766427

Asking how much power you need is like trying to decide if you want the standard Subaru, or the turbo model.

Is there a "huge" difference between them? No...but extra power is always nice.

I was figuring the same thing, but lets say all you do with your Subaru is drive your kids to school, do you really need the Turbo?

I guess what i'm trying to sort out is that right now -- with deftech procinema 1000's (which are fairly easy to drive, I gather), in a 10x15 room, doing mainly "night-time" listening: is it worth it to spend the extra $300-400 on the SC-35 (knowing that I'm not anywhere close to dipping into my kids college fund to do so)

When I did my subjective listening at BB with my own movies I thought the SC 35 sounded better, but of course that easily could have been my brain telling me "more $$$$ = better sound".

@MichaelJHuman: I had already read your faq. thanks for taking the time putting it together

@Mr.East Side: thats the main reason I'm leaning toward the SC 35. I dont want to get a weaksauce receiver and have the buyers remorse over a couple hundred bucks.

@DonH50: I was aware of the "fuzzy math" in ratings and that the Elite held its rated power pretty well when driving 7 channels. As alluded above, I'm wrangling in my head would it really make a diffrerence to me, or would a receiver that drove 7 channells at 30 watts suffice. I suppose thats a question I could only answer, but I was hoping there is a objective reason to do one over the other.

Thanks for all the replies

·
Registered
245 Posts
All the above posters are right on point!

I purchased an onkyo 708 in early January, nice receiver, good sound and features and a nice deal along with some polk monitors from newegg.

Over all a very respectable first "bigboy setup"

Movies and tv sounded very nice and with plenty of oomph.

Then, my onkyo started having issues (wont go into all that now)

So i replaced it with A pioneer elite SC-37.

To my ears, it was a very noticeable improvement, While i prefer the sound quality of the pioneers Ice amps, and I realize other do not, what was the kicker for me was the power, the ease with which the receiver handles dynamics both soft and loud.

Of course after getting the Pio I had to upgrade my polks as well LOL.

My meandering point however is, if you can afford the pio you will probably be very happy with it and, glad you chose it!

good luck yo you.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster19 /forum/post/20765799

I posted an earlier thread about different receivers I was considering (a bunch of pioneers, Maranrz's etc).

Todays receivers are much more alike than different in their primary output quality. Most have enough power for average rooms and speaker efficiencies especially if you run a sub. If you want to get to rock concert levels in a big room.. well then, horsepower becomes a bit more relevant.

If I was shopping today I would look at the unit that not only had the feature set I wanted, but with the best room correction available in my budget range. To me room correction is where you'll get the largest increases in audio quality for the buck. (Hopefully in conjunction with some passive room treatments.) This is where stepping up in weight class can be of value IMO i.e. going from a Audyssey 2EQ receiver to an XT32 equipped one.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
There are power calculators on the 'net that take all the parameters and spit out the power you need. That's as close to an easy "objective" answer as you'll get.

Unless you are far away from inefficient speakers you should look to other features, not power ratings. IMO. - Don

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.