Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

This is my first post in the CRT forum. I have seen a number of digital projectors, but their shadow detail leaves something to be desired. I am now investigating CRT's as well, but haven't seen (or heard) any yet.

Is there a great range of noise level between various 9" projectors? What's the quietest? Any relationship between noise level and picture quality?

Are projectors quieter as they drop in diameter from 9" to 7"?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Almost all of the noise comes from the cooling fans. Many of the 9" CRT's have more cooling fans and can be slightly louder. Early model 7" CRT projectors used conventional cooling without any fans. These are virtually silent. I have a Barco Graphics 800 with 8" CRT's, it is noisy if the volume is down my receiver. I'm just now switching to a Barco Graphics 1200 with 9"CRT's. Although it has two additional cooling fans, it seems to be at the same noise level. I'm going to solve the problem by building a Hush Box. It is an enclosure that surrounds the projector and has insulating panels on the inside. This will be mounted around my projector and flush with the ceiling. Then I will run a duct thru the attic over to the hush box along with a bathroom fan to keep a steady flow of fresh air going to the projector. If you floor mount the projector, you can also build an enclosure around it to quite it down. Good Luck on your projector search. What is your price range?? Steve.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
The CRT's are real quiet, it's those dab mabit fans that are noisy....lol

Terry

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve, I can afford just about any used projector.

I don't have any way to adequately vent a hush box, so that's not an option for me. I have to purchase a projector which is relatively quiet.

Are Sony's quieter than Barco's, Electrohome, etc.?

Thanks

·
Registered
609 Posts
I think it depends on the model you are looking at. Sony 1292's have been described as being only slightly louder than a B-52 taking off. Sony's more recent models like the G-70 or G-90 are a lot quieter.

Dwin makes a fanless (and therefore extremely quiet) model - the HD700 which is still a current model and has 7" guns, I believe.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Don't let the fan noise scare you. There are many ways to eliminate this. For example some members have built a hush box around there unit. I myself for example, have installed a moderatly priced fan modification from Chuck Williams on both of my NEC PG10's, 9" tubes and you can now hear a pin drop while the fans are running.

Good luck

Johnboy:)

·
Registered
22,381 Posts
There's a brand new unused Dwin HD-700 for sale here at the AVS Forum Classifieds (not by me!).

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have recently mounted a NEC 10pg (9" tubes) on my ceiling. I was amazed by how much quieter it was compared to my Sony 1270 or Electrohome 4101. The picture leaves everyone speechless.

Gary

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yes, the Tim Martin noise modification is really worth it. I had it done on my 9500LC and now the projector is really very quiet.

I usually sit just behind the projector (floor placed) or just next to its left side ,and it is no problem even during quiet scenes.

The noise issue is one reason I went for the modified Marquee.

As a comparison my LCD projector (NEC VT540, used for web surfing) is rated 35db but still sounds more noisy than the Marquee.

Rob

·
Registered
15 Posts
AS Fireball and CRT-Bob already said, a "Tim Martin" 9500 LC is an excellent choice. 9500LC and Sony G90 are the two most wanted projectors there is, this is picture quality-wise. Also, Tim's modifications make 9500LC one of the most silent fan cooled models - at least as far I have understood correctly.

One very important thing comparing sound levels is the tone of the noise. All the NEC and Sanyo (ie. Eiki/Boxlight) projectors tha I have come across have some resonances in their sound. The few CRT:s mine included and for example Sharp XV-Z9000 and Yamaha DPX-1 have only the sound of moving air which is a lot less distracting.

If 9500LC seems like an overkill to your budget, I bet Tim also has other Marquees that have more pleasing pricetags.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Saurama,

With all due respect you have not experienced Chuck Williams Fan Mod on an NEC. I am presently dismantiling my stack NEC PG10's for hassle reasons and both have the fan mod and they are super quiet. I'm sure just as quiet as Tim's on his Marquee. If you've seen a PG10 in action you will note the picture does in fact take your breath away.

Johnboy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.