AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Hitachi 51F500 and after minor tweaking (no service menu tweaks) I, my family and friends (including those who own rptvs) love it. However, I have a PS2 that is currently collecting dust and have been thinking about connecting it to the tv. I also have tivo and have read some posts about burn in problems with that as well. At the same time however, I have read many posts with people saying they have xbox and ps2's connected to their tvs.

My question is how likely is it that a rptv is going to suffer burn in. Furthermore, other than simply not using the game system or tivo is there anything one can do to minimize any burn in?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Keep the contrast way down ... and boost the brightness a bit. This will increase the playability time before burn in.

Also ... keep playing time down to spurts of 1 hour or so ... and then let the TV rest by displaying something else ... don't shut it off.

PS2 always has some static menu on screen because the games are not created to fit a 640x480 frame ... but rather something smaller. This means there is always a black window box for what ever game you play ... and it does not go away.

Regards

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Actually, with the default horizontal overscan of Hitachi at 6% PS2 games will often fill the screen. With normal overscan of 5% or less, there will be black sidebars on PS2 games.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I'm not going too argue with the estimable Michael TLV, but I believe you can game for sessions much longer than an hour, so long as gaming is only about 20% of total TV use are less... And, of course adjusting contrast / brightness out of the box is key.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
If you limit your viewing of the game system to when there is actually a human in the room who is playing, I think the risk is minimal. It's when your kids habitually leave the game connected for hours and hours after they've gone outside that you MAY run into problems.

·
Registered
70 Posts
burn-in is real. I just got HD in September, and I donated my old (1996) 53 inch Sony RPTV to my daughter. However, she got it with the Fox 6 News bug permanently in the lower right hand corner of the screen. ok, it took a few years to happen, but it did. And my TV is on almost 24/7.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the contrast at 13 or so and brightness is a shade under 50 on my 51F500 based on Avia's and my eyes recommendations. It sounds like with for how little I will actually use the PS2 I should be ok. Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by teverson
However, she got it with the Fox 6 News bug permanently in the lower right hand corner of the screen.
I have to say, I am surprised there have not been lawsuits about this.

Or have there been?

The fact is, these companies are broadcasting something which damages people's property.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AGE
I have to say, I am surprised there have not been lawsuits about this.

Or have there been?

The fact is, these companies are broadcasting something which damages people's property.
Just what we need in America, more lawsuits. Actually, the damage to your mind from watching that much TV should be more of an issue than the damage to your property.

Ironically, I take the fact that broadcasters still use these bugs as evidence that this kind of burn-in is not affecting very many people (not saying it doesn't happen), else they would received enough complaints to eliminate them (or move them around).

·
Registered
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by oxothuk
Just what we need in America, more lawsuits.
We don't need more frivolous lawsuits. Law suits, per se, are not bad. A just suit can help curb corporate irresponsibility. Accountability is important.

Quote:
Actually, the damage to your mind from watching that much TV should be more of an issue than the damage to your property.
This viewpoint on television is a bit antiquated, and ignorant.

Quote:

Ironically, I take the fact that broadcasters still use these bugs as evidence that this kind of burn-in is not affecting very many people
Do you take the fact that cigarette companies still make cigarettes as evidence that they don't really cause cancer? Your standard for "evidence" is not logical.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.