AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 5504 that is in minor need of warranty repair. The IR receiver in the unit has a terrible range of operatility. You have to have the remote in just the right position for it to work.

Anyway, I've finally had enough and decided I think I want to send it in 4 warranty repair. Does anyone know how reliable RTV is with their warranty work? How long do they tend to keep a unit before it's returned.

I've grown spoiled and hate the thought of losing it.

Anyway, who has sent their units off before?

Thanks,

Craig

·
Registered
265 Posts
They will backup the warranty. Only thing to look out for is how long it will take to get it back. I sent back a 4040 and after 8 weeks and alot of calls I got a 5040 (W/LT Thank you) returned to me.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The IR transmitter of 3rd party remotes usually work better.

I use a Cinema 7, programmed with a JP1.

Robert

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
From what I gather they probably won't repair your unit and send it back, they will most likely send you a replacement unit (most likely a refurbished one). So you're running a risk that the replacement unit has other (more serious) problems - but of course then you can send that one back too.

My experience was about a 3 week turnaround (10 day ground shipping both ways - which actually turned into about 5 days of shipping time total). The time held at RTV was waiting for a refurb unit to become available. Replacement did actually fix the problem (hard drive problem) and no problems since - so overall it was a positive experience for me.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Scallica
I'll save you the hassle.....All units are that way.

-Scallica-
No, I have 2 5504's. This one has a problem since the day I got it. The other one is fine. I thought it might be alright in my bedroom once I got around to putting it in there. It seems to do better with a straight shot with the remote as opposed to firing the remote from an angle. But as it turns out, even while lying in bed (RTV in front of me) the remote doesn't work from my side of the bed. My wife's in hog heaven though because it works fine from her side. Incidentally, it does the same thing with my URC-8810.

Anyway, I'm gonna send it back.

I appreciate all the feedback. I'd like to hear more experiences if people have them.

I also appreciate moyekj's heads up on possibly getting a refurb as a replacement. I'll hold off sending it until I get my computer back up and running with DVA so that I can d/l my shows b4 shipping it off. (My BIOS took a big dump!)

Thanks guys!

-- Craig

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
You might want to keep the unit. Once the warranty is void take the IR panel out. You may find the IR receiver is out of place making it difficult for the IR signals to hit it. Repositioning or at worse $49 repair from me sets it straight. It will cost you $ to ship it to replay and 4 to 8 weeks without it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Reden
The IR transmitter of 3rd party remotes usually work better.

I use a Cinema 7, programmed with a JP1.

Robert
Robert-

Could you elaborate on this? What steps did you take to get a Cinema 7 remote to work on a RTV?

I have a 5504.

My remote doesn't work if it's not directly pointed at the unit.

Thanks,

Scallica

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scallica
Could you elaborate on this? What steps did you take to get a Cinema 7 remote to work on a RTV?
Check out RobMan's web site... http://www.hifi-remote.com/

For a Cinema 7, you need to solder a connector to some existing pads and make (or buy) a JP1 cable to program it.

Robman probably still has some Cinema 7's already made up to sell, programed for a Replay... You can email through his website or PM him here. When my locally bought C7 died, I bought two or three from him so I have backups.

There are a number of commercial remotes that support Replay out of the box now, I just really like the original Remote, which was a OEM version of a Cinema remote.

Robert

·
Registered
673 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Reden

There are a number of commercial remotes that support Replay out of the box now, I just really like the original Remote, which was a OEM version of a Cinema remote. [/b]
Reden -

Do you know which commercial remotes support RTV out of the box?

Thanks,

Scallica

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
nope... try searching the archives

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.