AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that wants me to setup his new Windows 8 Standard computer as a HTPC. Since it doesn't have WMC, I was thinking of trying MediaPortal with the beautiful StreamedMP skin. He mainly will be using it to watch & record TV so the EPG is very important. After looking into MediaPortal, the instructions for setting up the EPG are a little intimidating & I'm wondering how reliable the EPG is? Is it 70% reliable?

Would XBMC be better or should I just install Windows 7 on it & use WMC? I really want the EPG to be as reliable as WMC, is this possible with any other HTPC software?

·
Registered
506 Posts
What do you mean by reliable? Even though I use MediaPortal myself, it's not as easy to install as WMC. If it were for a friend, I would probably install Windows 7 with WMC as long as he has 3 tuners. (I say this because of the annoying bug where you have to have a 10 minute post record when recording back to back channels.) Since it's a lot easier to get a hang of then MediaPortal.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo90017  /t/1519689/how-reliable-is-the-mediaportal-epg#post_24404985

...as long as he has 3 tuners. (I say this because of the annoying bug where you have to have a 10 minute post record when recording back to back channels.)

What?

I have WMC 7 with 2 tv tuners and have never experienced this bug. Are you referring to recording one show until say... 9 pm, and then recording a different show on a different channel at 9 pm?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo90017  /t/1519689/how-reliable-is-the-mediaportal-epg#post_24404985

What do you mean by reliable? Even though I use MediaPortal myself, it's not as easy to install as WMC. If it were for a friend, I would probably install Windows 7 with WMC as long as he has 3 tuners. (I say this because of the annoying bug where you have to have a 10 minute post record when recording back to back channels.) Since it's a lot easier to get a hang of then MediaPortal.

Do you have to manually download guide data & is the guide data always correct? Are you using WebEPG or XMLTV & how long have you been using it?

·
Registered
506 Posts
No. This only happens when recording back to back on the same channel.

Let's say you set 2 recordings. 9pm and 9:30pm. If you add an extra 3 minutes to the end of the first recording. Wmc will cut the first 3 minutes of the 9:30 show instead of using your extra tuner.

·
Registered
506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawd1992  /t/1519689/how-reliable-is-the-mediaportal-epg#post_24406066

Do you have to manually download guide data & is the guide data always correct? Are you using WebEPG or XMLTV & how long have you been using it?
No. You use the xmltv plugin along with a batch file to automatically download epg data.

There are a few programs you can use for the batch file. Schedules Direct, WebgrabPlus+, Mc2xml, and Zap2xml. I was using webgrab+ but found it sometimes listed the est times for some soccer games so I went back to using mc2xml. The only issue with it is if you plan to use genres colors in the tv guide, you need to use a script from the Mediaportal forums called getcat. This program cleans up the xml file to make the genres (categories) available.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo90017  /t/1519689/how-reliable-is-the-mediaportal-epg#post_24406399

No. This only happens when recording back to back on the same channel.

Let's say you set 2 recordings. 9pm and 9:30pm. If you add an extra 3 minutes to the end of the first recording. Wmc will cut the first 3 minutes of the 9:30 show instead of using your extra tuner.

Ah, I see. Yes, that is an annoyance. I run into that all the time actually.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts