AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After several months of waiting for a new home construction to complete, and three weeks of building out the home theater, I'm finding that everything is working as expected with one major exception: my hardwired IR system works maybe 20% of the time! :mad:

IR signals appear to be being received and emitted, but the components just don't respond. Here's what I'm using:

IR Receivers: Imagine brand junction box wall mount receivers

IR Block: Xantech amplified 10 port block with 5 dual emitters

IR Emitters: Xantech dual emitters (the ones that stay lighted and blink when used)

I suppose the next thing I'll do is replace the Imagine IR receiver with a Xantech receiver. As I mentioned, however, the receiver and emitters flash 100% of the time, so it seems like some signal is getting through.

Any suggestions?

I was expecting fairly rock solid reliability from a hardwired setup... Or is this just a pipe-dream?

Thanks. -- John

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hardwired IR should be fairly reliable. There are things that will effect reliablity like strong sunlight, fluorescent lighting, and EMI. Usually repositioning the IR pickup should help. More likely though, the IR emitters aren't positioned in the correct spots on the components. You should take a flashlight, shine it directly on the display panels or IR plastic to look for the component's IR pickup. Make sure the IR emitters are positioned securely and correctly over the equipment's IR eye.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Image

IR Emitters: Xantech dual emitters (the ones that stay lighted and blink when used)
You diagnosed your own problem and didn't even realize it! There aren't any emitters that "stay lighted and blink when used".

If your emitters are constantly lit red, it means they are receiving a signal of some sort. It's probably interference. For example, I had IR this receiver mounted inside my armoire in my bedroom. This receiver is designed to be wall mounted in a j-box.. There's a TV in my armoire and when it's on, the IR receiver picks up interference from it, which causes the emitters to stay lit.

When they're lit, signals from the other IR receivers (elsewhere in the house) rarely get through. So,long story short, if your emitters are staying lit, you've got a interference problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.