AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Get an extended warranty and you are fine. Otherwise all you have is 90 days parts and 30 labor. My refurb has recorded almost 20 hours so far without any problems.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I just ordered one of these... working or not, it's a great deal...

My one problem is --- take a look at the availability... I doubt it's in stock, unfortunately. Here's to hoping....

Jeremy

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hazama
I just ordered one of these... working or not, it's a great deal...
I am not sure I agree with that, but an interesting opinion.

Mike

·
Registered
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nikos20
How much is that extended warranty?
The answer to that question seems to vary. If you buy the warranty online along with your purchase of the JVC, it is $99 for 3 years. However, other posters have called in and gotten it for less. I would do the order over the phone, and tell them you are thinking about getting the extended warranty, and see what they quote as the price. They may offer you a better price that way, as I think there is a large margin on extended warranties, so they may have some room to offer a better price.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Can one get the extended warranty if one already bought the

item from ecost. Is there a time period after where one could

still buy the warranty?

Tag Man

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I'll inject a mildly contrary opinion and say that I think extended warranties are always a bad idea. Warranties of any kind are a form of insurance, and the first rule of insurance is that you don't insure against losses you can afford. Insurers are in business to make money, and they know much better than you do what the failure rates are for consumer electronics.

In fact, even refurbished consumer electronics have extremely low failure rates. Combine that with the fact that extended warranty companies rarely have to make good on losses (because people lose the paperwork, forget they bought a warranty, are excluded by fine print, etc.), and you discover that extended warranties are one of the highest profit items an electronics retailer can sell. Typically a $99 warranty has an expected payout of around $10 or less, and is sold to the retailer for less than $20.

Yes, you may in fact buy a piece of consumer electronics without the warranty and have it fail on you outside the regular warranty period but inside the extended warranty period. And then assuming that you've kept all your paperwork and the warranty company still exists, and that they can't ding you for some exclusion or other, and that they deal with you fairly, you might come out ahead on a single transaction. The odds, however, are waaaaaay in the warranty company's favor. And over the course of your life, you will surely come out ahead not buying the warranty for anything you can afford to replace.

Now, if you're cashing in your life savings to buy a $50,000 boat, then perhaps insurance is a prudent investment. But for a $300 VCR? I'd skip it.

JMHO, and obviously I know everyone will figure this stuff differently. Just trying to add a different perspective.

Don

·
Registered
360 Posts
Don,

You make a lot of sense! I normally would never buy the extended warranty, only because I have heard that these machine have had problems before am I considering it.

But you know, after reading your post I think I will take my chances. Who knows, at this rate by next year these machines may be selling for the same price I would pay for the extended warranty.

Tag Man

·
Registered
628 Posts
Don,

I would normally agree with you. In fact, this is the first time I've ever bought an extended warranty. I did so for two main reasons:

1. The large number of problems reported with this unit

2. Although it does cost $300, once the refurb units are gone the replacement cost would be more like $450 - $500. The refurb unit plus the warranty is still less than that. So I'm getting the JVC, plus some assurance that it will be a working unit for 3 - 4 years, for less than the unit normally costs alone.

On another note, I ordered from macmall.com. The units are on backorder, but they said more should be in early this week. We'll see.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The key to the warranty isn't that the likelyhood of the item breaking. It's the how likely the buyer is going to remember the item had a plan. Think of items that have "Lifetime warranties". What are the chances you'll still have your reciept for a video card you bought 5 years ago.

I pick and choose service plan items carefully. Usually things with moving parts that get a lot of use. In many cases the items do eventually go, usually towards the end of the products life. Video Game Systems, MD Players, Small Kitchen Appliences that get a lot of use. These have all paid off for me.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
PCmall's web it says it has a 1 year warranty. I agree with Don on the extended warranty issue and perhaps also keep in mind the way this technology changes so rapidly IMO with M$'s muscle you may see WMP9 become the standard for HD storage so the warranty issues may become a moot point. If we see STB than can encode/decode WMP9 files then D-VHS will die on the vine. Just my opinion. Turn your flame-throwers on now please.

One time I did make on an extended warranty. I bought a JVC 16:9 NTSC rear projector from Montgomery Wards. Three years into the four-year warranty period the set developed an un-repairable convergence problem. After going back and forth with MW for 6 months and literally hundreds of phone call they replaced the set. Two months later MW filed chapter 11 & six months later they were gone. Now the funny part, on the replacement set they could not understand why I would not buy the extended warranty.

Mike

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by taguirre
Can one get the extended warranty if one already bought the

item from ecost. Is there a time period after where one could

still buy the warranty?

Tag Man
I got the three year extended warranty for $99.95 on my $299.00 refurbed 30K. So, I've got $400.00 invested with a solid sleep at night factor. Who knows if this one craps out (and these have been known to do so), that there will be bargains available on refurb units at that time? I'm not spending the big bucks for a D-VHS player (he says till he sees how extensive his D-Theater tape collection gets).

To be honest, early adopter, niche market, and R&D conditions set aside, a tape player of any nature isn't worth spending much more on than I did, IMHO. If I couldn't have gotten this refurb for this price, I'd probably have stayed out of the game.

U-571 was simply awesome in 1080i!

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Quote:
Warranties of any kind are a form of insurance, and the first rule of insurance is that you don't insure against losses you can afford. Insurers are in business to make money, and they know much better than you do what the failure rates are for consumer electronics.
With the well known extreme rate of failure on the 30K, that logic does not hold at all.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
With the well known extreme rate of failure on the 30K, that logic does not hold at all.
I respect your opinion, and will nevertheless disagree. Yes, the 30K had problems, but as far as I can tell from reading old threads the only widespread problems were with the heads clogging, and were made right by JVC with a hardware fix and giving everyone a head cleaning tape. The refurbs have the fix applied and come with a head cleaning tape. Even if your heads clogged up within the 3 year period, you can clean them yourself manually, or pay a service center to do it. Did I miss an important thread?

Do you think it's likely that more than 1/3 of the units will fail within 3 years? If so, then it makes logical sense to get an extended warranty, but that would be an astoundingly high failure rate. A failure rate like that would almost certainly trigger at least a silent recall.

It's really very difficult to figure out what the real reliability rate is for electronics by reading boards like these. Obviously if something has a higher problem rate than average it will look like the sky is falling, but one must keep in mind that we are not a random sample of the buying public, and people with problems tend to post and read more on these boards than people who are happy with their equipment.

We know that the transport mechanisms on VHS decks last much longer than 3 years of normal use. The electronics will probably last a hundred years or more if not run in a hot environment or subjected to electrical spikes. What else is so different about a DVHS deck that would make one think it's going to fail sooner than any other VHS deck?

Don

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Don.... FYI and FWIW, my first JVC 30K hard failed with in a week of lower than normal use (read had only a few tapes), however my JVC S-VHS also hard failed after 5 months. JVC fixed both, no problem, and both are still running fine but now joined by another 30K (with cleaning tape). All three were brand new (believe me, I had my reasons).

I needless to say am happy with them, mainly the 30K pair. We won't get into why I think I need two hooked together, on the firewire ;-) but the Sammy 165 likes both just fine.

Take care, watch, record, and mainly "enjoy" some HDTV of your choice tonight......

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Think what you will, Don. Opinions are subjective.

·
Registered
575 Posts
It sounds like there are two potential problems -- the one that was fixed by JVC and whatever the one that folks have when they say it failed in a few weeks.

Since the first is claimed to have been fixed -- do we really know this ? -- that leaves the second. The JVC warrenty would seem to cover it.

So why spend any extra money? And who are you going to hassle to get it repaired/replaced? It sounds like a nightmare.

What did the "fixed" bug look like when it occurred?

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Pixels/artifacting while playing back HD material. Eventually, you'd get no picture at all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.