AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow AV people how are you all?

So here I am hours ago reading the latest news on my favorite TV I bought last year, only to find that so many people are complaining about black levels! I've read through a few of the threads and things don't look too good. But all the information is pretty scattered so I thought I would post my case and see what you all thought!

Model: TCP-54V10

Purchased: Sept 09

Manufactured: July 09

Hours: (not sure, about 700)

Configuration: Manual -- all settings Approx 60% contrast/brightness

-Standard Configuration

Questions:

-How affected is my model? I've read that the larger models are unaffected. Mine's somewhere in the middle

Build Date: Is July bad, good, on the bubble?

Prognosis: Are ALL Panasonics destined to fail? What's the percentage rate of failure vs. prolonged longevity?

Right now everything works perfectly still. I hope it stays that way because there's no way in hell I could possibly afford a similar TV right now!

-Sorry if this is the wrong section

Jon

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think the hysteria on the black level rise issue is blown out of porportion. Yeah the black levels will rise. How noticeable it will be depends on how picky your viewing is. As I have understood it all 2009, and 2010 announced models are currently all effected.. Rest assured you do have a great tv probably only bested by the new panny 2010 line, and the much famed kuro. Trust your eyes and not the hysteria surrounding the situation

carter

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Without a meter you cannot tell the MLL you currently have. The only way to determine if you have been affected (very likely) is to view DVD/BluRay in a dark room and see for yourself what the aspect ratio bars look like. When new, they practically blended into the bezel.

You have the exact model I was going to buy when this black level issue first broke. The only comparative info available right now is that found in the charts created tracking user reports and measurements found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post18272595

There are other charts showing models involved more specifically a little further back in the thread. The best thing you can do for piece of mind is to avoid watching material in dark, theater atmosphere environments where the issue is more prominently displayed.

All 12g sets are affected but the 58s and the 65s seem to start out lower in MLL and as yet seem to be less susceptible to the higher MLL variances. Whether this is due to changes made at the factory with the later release of these particular sizes or something else is still unknown.

People who post as the previous poster has, do nothing to rebut the truly obnoxious issue seen in some photos on this forum. The latest findings of techs outside of 'anal' AVS forum will likely bolster the AVS findings. You can choose to regard what is occurring as 'hysteria' or you can watch your screen in the dark, track your hours and hope for the best. Some poor Joes have lost contrast ratio to the point that their sets are little more than doorstops in terms of viewability. Fortunately for the majority, these seem to be the extreme examples and appear fewer. But looking at the charts developed thus far and only taking the average rise, this still represents at least doubling of contrast ratio. Turn on the lights and keep your viewing in that environment and odds are you will not notice anything amiss unless hit by the extreme issue. If that happens ... Oh well ...

Welcome to the Forum. Wish it could have been related to better circumstances but I hope you'll like it here. Great place to stretch the ol' noggin.

·
Registered
16,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanoprobe /forum/post/18301850

Prognosis: Are ALL Panasonics destined to fail? What's the percentage rate of failure vs. prolonged longevity?

"Fail" is not the right word. They don't fail (the blacks just go from being better than others to the same). Panny is more reliable than most other brands. Just sit back and enjoy.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I understand if people notice a big difference in their set and upset about the changes in it. But if you had no idea there was a problem in the first place and you've been enjoying your set, then why go searching for things to be upset about?

·
Registered
3,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman24 /forum/post/18301915

I think the hysteria on the black level rise issue is blown out of porportion. Yeah the black levels will rise. How noticeable it will be depends on how picky your viewing is. As I have understood it all 2009, and 2010 announced models are currently all effected.. Rest assured you do have a great tv probably only bested by the new panny 2010 line, and the much famed kuro. Trust your eyes and not the hysteria surrounding the situation

carter

This is excellent advice!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Do yourself a favor, do not visit this forum again, it is definitely not healthy for you LOL, coming in here looking for problems (existent or otherwise) others find (existent or otherwise). Do you really want to lug your TV down to your windowless basement and measure it with a light meter?

FYI I just bought a 65" S1, it's my 5th Panasonic plasma TV.

No I don't know why I visit this forum LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanoprobe /forum/post/18301850

Hey fellow AV people how are you all?

So here I am hours ago reading the latest news on my favorite TV I bought last year, only to find that so many people are complaining about black levels! I've read through a few of the threads and things don't look too good. But all the information is pretty scattered so I thought I would post my case and see what you all thought!

Model: TCP-54V10

Purchased: Sept 09

Manufactured: July 09

Hours: (not sure, about 700)

Configuration: Manual -- all settings Approx 60% contrast/brightness

-Standard Configuration

Questions:

-How affected is my model? I've read that the larger models are unaffected. Mine's somewhere in the middle

Build Date: Is July bad, good, on the bubble?

Right now everything works perfectly still. I hope it stays that way because there's no way in hell I could possibly afford a similar TV right now!

-Sorry if this is the wrong section

Jon

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
You can have a rise in your black level and still enjoy your TV. It's not the end of the world. My G5015 has the problem but I still enjoy it. A heck of a lot better than my previous TV's. Sure, I could enjoy it more if it hadn't suffered the black level problem but I'm not about to let it make my life miserable.

·
Registered
16,004 Posts
Here's another way to look at it. Even with the rise in black levels, they are still better than any non-Kuro plasma from 2+ years ago. And I wouldn't exactly call all older plasmas "failed" displays.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts
I think you're more screwed by your overly-lofty expectations of an already excellent TV than you are by the TV itself. They don't all "fail", but they do have a few issues. All brands and models have issues. Panasonics tend to have less issues than the other brands.

Are you happy with your picture quality? If you're using Standard mode with contrast and brightness set at 60% then you're probably not getting the best picture quality.

Although i am a little let down that my blacks have risen, i'm still enjoying the hell out of my G10 even with the risen blacks. I try not to obsess about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts