AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Projector Central's calculator , my set-up of 92" Screen with 14' Throw from a 16"x16" shelf in a darkened room severely limits my choices in projectors:
  • BenQ SH910
  • ViewSonic Pro8200
  • Mitsubishi HC7800D
  • ViewSonic Pro8300
  • BenQ W1200
  • BenQ W1100
  • SharpVision XV-Z30000
  • ViewSonic Pro8400
  • ViewSonic Pro8520HD

My first choice was the SharpVision, but I can't find any dealers that are selling it. I saw one on eBay, but I don't think it's authorized (i.e. warranty) dealer

The ViewSonic ones seemed more appropriate for conference rooms (am I wrong about that?), which leaves BenQ vs Mitsubishi. The W1100 seems to be a lesser version of the W1200, so the choice really comes between...
  • BenQ SH910
  • Mitsubishi HC7800D
  • BenQ W1200

Any thoughts? I feel the SH910 will be way too bright, which leaves the HC7800D vs W1200... both seem comparable from the specs, and my little knowledge of projectors. The HC7800D is more expensive, so I assume that's the one I should go for?

Which of these would you choose? Am I wrong about ViewSonic and the SH910? Should I try to get the SharpVision from an unauthorized?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
The sharp, while still a good projector, is an old model so you won't be able to find it. Can you make the shelf bigger or have a few inches of the projector going over the edge of the shelf? If you let the projector sit 1 inch over the front of the shelf, you can add the Epson 3020 to the list. You also need to factor offset (how far below the lens the image needs to be). My choice would be the Mitsubishi unless cost were an issue.

Edit. Not sure the Mits will work. According to the PJC calculator it needs to be mounted in the center of the image.

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
I would look at the JVC's as well, maybe a B-stock which comes with a full 2-year manufacturer's warranty. Out of that list, for just 2D viewing of movies, I think the Mits hc7800 is probably the best as well.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
If you could swing a RS46 or last years RS45 or similar it will deliver, by far, the best results that you could hope for. A 1-2 year old JVC RS series will be phenomenal on a 92" screen with better black levels and one of the best build qualities in the industry. If you are going with the choices in the list you gave, I would go with the Mits for sure. But, at the end of the day, in a good dark space with a 100" or so screen, under $3,000, there is no projector that can best the JVC.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy  /t/1487337/how-should-i-choose-a-projector-for-my-space#post_23661355

I would look at the JVC's as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated  /t/1487337/how-should-i-choose-a-projector-for-my-space#post_23662703

If you could swing a RS46 or last years RS45 or similar it will deliver, by far, the best results that you could hope for.

Unfortunately, the JVC are too wide for my box...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99  /t/1487337/how-should-i-choose-a-projector-for-my-space#post_23661341

Can you make the shelf bigger or have a few inches of the projector going over the edge of the shelf? If you let the projector sit 1 inch over the front of the shelf, you can add the Epson 3020 to the list. You also need to factor offset (how far below the lens the image needs to be).

Edit. Not sure the Mits will work. According to the PJC calculator it needs to be mounted in the center of the image.

The shelf-box is 7 feet off the ground, in the wall, and centered on the screen. Without a bit of construction (and making a new custom box, the box size is fixed - but I suppose something could overhang.

My old projector had to sit upside-down in the shelf box; was weird and hard to focus, but otherwise OK. I'm ok with that again.

How can I factor in "offset" and "mounted center of image"? Does my set-up sound like either could work?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts