AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Argh! I've been reading as many threads as I can find... and all I'm accomplishing is making my head spin! There seems to be so many ways to do whole-house audio control. I'm having a heck of a time figuring out which method and products I should use. I don't know if this should be posted here or in the Home Integration forum...

What I envision is being able to pipe music to any room from my XM tuner. I have the XM PCR and plan to run it from a small PC located in the kitchen (a nice, central location.) Should I just look to get inexpensive volume control knobs with an "off" position? Or should I be looking for something more of a keypad with controls and the like? Is there anything out there now that will control XM on a keypad?

I don't foresee the need/desire to have multiple sources playing in different rooms at the same time. I'm looking to keep my whole-house audio setup inexpensive... but would also like to be able to upgrade it in the future if the need arises. Am I being too short-sighted now? Am I missing great features of home audio? Can someone stop my head from spinning?

·
Registered
27,309 Posts
I am using the Sonance Navigator Harbor. Simple and relatively inexpensive for what it does. Even my wife can easily navigate and use it.

Does video distribution interest you??

What is your budget?

www.sonance.com

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Video distribution doesn't interest me unless you can show me something that I just find too cool to not want. But... for the most part, I'd say no.

Budget? Who needs a steenkin' budget? Er, actually, I don't have any set amount. I'm having a house built, so I figure this is the best time to pre-wire. I may not actually get the equipment for a while yet. But I want to know what I need to I can wire while it's that much easier (and cheaper.)

·
Registered
27,309 Posts
You should pick out your system first and then best find out it's wiring requirements. Cat 5 typically to keypads, speaker wire from key pads to speakers and from speakers to central punch. Other's require only speaker wire to central location (punch). If you try and save money, you can wire a few speakers (and volume controls for one key pad to control. Again you will need a budget.

There is nothing really 'cool' about video distribution. Either you want to send video (LD, DVD, D-VHS, Satellite, etc.) to any TV in the house from one group of components at the punch (and have full control from any room in the house) or you don't.

We use our system everyday for audio. Distributed video for sending DVDs to the kids play room, or DVDs sent to our bedroom or kitchen. Pay per views can also be sent anywhere too and the beauty is each TV has no equipment or crap around it (no DVD players, cable boxes, associated wires, etc.). All of the equipment is in the Home Theater and can be accessed easily from any room. We have 7 televisions and all can be controlled by the keypads and / or infra red. We have 8 sets of speakers thru the house (6 zones) inc. outdoor.

The sky is the limit. The Sonsance is a pretty reasonable way to go in terms of price and functionality.

We added ours during a house remodel and it's budget just blended into the overall budget. You do what you have to while are of the walls are open and exposed.

If you want more flexibility and control - go Crestron. Very expensive!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Just another option (the one I use); it's certainly not the best or the most functional, but it's probably the cheapest. I have speaker wire run to each room in the house from my central location, where they are plugged into a Russound SS-6 speaker impedance matching device. The SS-6 is plugged into a stereo amp (I was just using an old receiver previously). IR control from the other rooms is accomplished through the use of Powermid IR repeaters.

Downsides are that you have to listed ot the same source in all the rest of the house and that you can't turn off individual rooms remotely (must push a button in the SS-6). But like I said, it's cheap and it works for me...

·
Registered
27,309 Posts
I had a system like that originally - except we put cheap volume controls in each room with speakers and ran from a regular receiver's two channels. We used IR by running it thru the tv cable coax (bought IR blocks and spliced into the cable line.

The down sides were one source can only run at a time in all rooms, however, you could turn down the volume control in each room if you didn't wan to hear it.

What ultimately got to us though was forgetting to turn down volume controls when initially turning it on and it blaring upstairs and waking up the kids. This happened all the time!!

The new system is all controlled on a per room basis and automatically starts out at a very low volume when activating.

However, in terms of functionality and cost, it was a tough system to beat.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as I know, I'd be happy with a single source (most likely XM) for the whole house. I can control it from a central location such as the PC I want to place in the kitchen if I continue to use my PCR. I just want the ability to turn on/off the music in each room, and adjust the volume... from that room.

·
Registered
333 Posts
russound should be able to offer anyhting you need for whole house distribution.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.