AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be re-doing my basement HT next month and will be installing a projector and a 16:9 screen (probably a Firehawk). What I'm wondering is how I'm going to "hang" the screen given my situation. The front wall of my HT is a brick fireplace that I have "covered" by hanging a theater quality curtain in front of - floor to ceiling, wall to wall. Here's a rough diagarm:

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB BRICK WALL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

ABOUT A 2 FOOT GAP, THEN

CCCCCCCCCCCCCC CURTAIN NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

I want to put the screen centered on the curtain, but not sure how I need to hang it. I DON'T want a motorized screen, but how would I hang a "permanent" screen given my situation - i.e. there is no solid wall to hang the screen on, rather a loose curtain.

Do I need to build a "floting" wall in front of the curtain the width of the screen (probably 84"), or can I somehow hang the screen from the ceiling?

Thanks for any advice. Not sure on this one.

Regards.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Hooks and trim chain from the clg. would make the install go Lickity Split.

Maybe step downstage a few inches for a "floating" touch.

Keep the shiney side forward, jdb

·
Registered
306 Posts
While you could try hanging it from wires or chains, I think it would flutter when there was a draft. Also without something solid, the screen is only kept in the proper shape by the frame. I don't know how sturdy the frame is. If the screen frame gets twisted you could end up with unwanted wrinkles.

You might want something more solid, like floor to ceiling metal or wooden posts. Attach the screen solidly to the posts. You could paint the posts the same color as the curtain or wrap curtain material around them to hide them.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I have the exact same setup. My screen is about 3 feet out from the "real" wall so I could hide my speakers behind the curtains, and also access my equipment from the rear.

I simply built a "wall" of 2x4 studs on about 24 inch centers, making sure I had studs where I wanted the edge of the screen to be.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Build a false wall... If you worry about the wood studs warping, use heavy gauge metal studs ;)

·
Registered
766 Posts
bambam,

If you've never built a wall before, and you aren't sure you can do it.... Don't be concerned and don't be afraid to ask. Every one of us on this forum has found ourselves way out on the limb someplace during their HT project, and has had to ask for help. That humility is part of the dynamic which has allowed us to learn from others and grow.

On the other hand, if you're an accomplished carpenter, or you build home theaters for a living... Can I tap into your brain?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.