AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I apologize if this is a repeat post. I wasn't really nailing proper search terms for this issue.)

Question in a nutshell: If I run the audio outputs of various components through my plasma, then to my receiver, will I lose surround sound?

Question with details: Just bought an HD plasma and am looking to wire things correctly. I have the following hardware I need to connect:

Samsung HP-S4253 plasma

Comcast DCT3412 DVR

Playstation 2

Phillips cheapo progressive scan DVD player

Older, Yamaha receiver (5.1, but not digital)

Bose Acoustimass 10 speakers

Before picking up the plasma, I was running everything through the Yamaha and choosing my source there. The picture from the DVR/PS/DVD went through the receiver and was output to the TV (RCA console) through a single, composite video cable. No audio was transferred to/from the TV.

Now, I have the DVR connected to the plasma via HDMI and will be soon upgrading the cabling from the DVD and PS units to component (and also running them directly to the plasma).

Should I run all of my audio into the plasma, then run simple (composite) audio out lines to the receiver? Will I still maintain my surround sound doing this? It seems like I should then be able to leave my receiver on one setting (e.g. Aux) and do all of the audio/video switching through the plasma's Source setting?

Thanks much from a noob,

NHAnimator

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
No. 5.1 surround must be passed as a digital signal.

Some TVs will pass (relay) the digital surround signal, most will not. If yours does you need a digital connection (digital coax or Toslink) from the TV to the receiver. If it does not you need a digital connection from the DVR to your receiver.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. But if I need a digital connection from either the DVR or TV to the receiver, and my receiver does not have digital inputs (it is 10+years old; only composite inputs), then how am I currently getting 5.1 surround? Is there a non-digital version of 5.1? Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I do not think that you are actually getting Dolby 5.1.

Dolby Surround is a 4 channel system, matrixed in the left and right analog audio, and decoded by Dolby ProLogic into L/C/R and mono surround. I think this is what you have.

Dolby Digital is a 5.1 system. The .1 is the low frequency effects channel (LFE) for low end material deliberately encoded for a subwoofer if present.

Your receiver may also have sound processing (DSP) modes that can create surround effects from out of phase information in a stereo source.

Some DVD players have built in Dolby Decoders and separate analog outputs for each 5.1 channel.

The Dolby Labs site has details

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Just got home and that is indeed the case - Dolby Pro Logic - and the manual does specify that the rears are treated as one.

I appreciate the feedback very much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.