AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an X1 that until yesterday was used only for playing DVD's. Now I'd like to also throw my HD satellite reciever into the mix. The question is, how should I hook them up. I also have an Xbox I want to throw in there.

I use a Harman/Kardon AVR-225 receiver and it has S-Video switching. The way I DID have it hooked up was...
  • Component to VGA port on the X1 for the DVD player
  • SVideo from Xbox to receiver, then to S-Vid port on X1

Now, I'd like to hook both the satellite & DVD player up via component cables but I don't feel like buying another 40' length of component cable, nor do I have a component switch box to switch between the two component sources. So...how can I obtain the best picture quality for both the DVD and Sattelite?

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
If you can, connect all 3 via component. I would suggest investing in a component switchbox, you can get them as low as $20 from walmart. You can probably move your dvd player to svideo using the component to svideo adapter. This may be better for your dvd player so that you can utilize the Faroudja deinterlacing processor the x1 uses which is probably better than the one used internally by your dvd player when sending out progressive.

Many Xbox games can be played in 480p/720p/1080i with the HD pack, games will look much much better in these resolutions if they support it.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
HD to VGA (this is the only port that accepts HD)

DVD to S video with component adaptor (Svideo port has extra pins to accept full compoennt video). Send a 480i signal from dvd player not 480p so the faroudja deinterlacer in the X1 can do its magic.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I echo Ja Phule's recommendation for a component switchbox, or if you're looking to upgrade your receiver anytime soon, get one with component switching. You can find them for ~$350 or so.

Just remember that component switchboxes are hit or miss... my cheapo Walmart one caused lost sync issues and didn't work well for switching, but some of the cheaper ones do.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hello

I'm not an authority on Harman Kardon but I cannot find the AVR225 on their website, just the AVR235. This one supports component switching for two sources.

I used to use a Belkin Omniview 4 port KVM switch. I had a PC on one input and component on the other (using the component to vga adapter). This never gave me any sync issues. The Omniview is an active, powered device and is rated for high resolution displays. With this device you also have the option of remote controlling the switch by adding an infrared receiver from a wireless PS2 keyboard such as an Airboard and attach it to the PS2 common keyboard port on the Omniview. You can then program any IR remote control with the switch input sequence. Airboards are cheap, you can also use Web tv keyboard IR receivers.

·
Registered
333 Posts
As for switching: I use simple cheapo A/V switchbox and the video + left+right works just fine with component. Many people on this forum have found the same. A simple cheap swichbox with straight passthrough and mechanical swiching shouldn't distort the picture too much. A mid-price switcher which plays with the signal and uses electronic switching, however could cause problems.

As for my setup: I run everything interlaced. I modded the component to svideo adapter and converted it into a Y (I dremmelled into it to access the two svideo pins) It is wired to both a 480i component source AND an svideo source at the same time. I run this adapter to a cheapo SVIDEO + video+left+right switchbox. This way when I watch the component source, I kill the svideo signal going to the projector, and when I watch an svideo source, I kill the component signal. The switchbox still has 3 unused ports that can take either component or svideo.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I use a Pelican System Selector Pro I picked up at a local computer retailer for around $75.00. It has ins and outs for component, S-video, RCA, and even optical audio. I don't know if it degrades my signal or not...but if it does I really can't tell. It's also the same standard dimensions as most AV reveivers, so it's a nice fit on my rack. Do a search on it and see what you think!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Better to use interlaced component video instead of S-video out of your existing DVD player. Just needs an easy manual selection on the player. You'll get the full benefits of the Faroudja de-interlacer in the projector.

The $20. variety of component video switchbox is really for composite video and audio, most but not all also work for HDTV and component video.

Modifying a switch box into a Y connector may cause picture quality problems even when the source device(s) not being used is(are) turned off. While you may not have problems with just one component source and one S-video source hooked up, when you start using the remaining ports on the switch box you may have problems.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

·
Registered
333 Posts
Modifying a switch box into a Y connector may cause picture quality problems even when the source device(s) not being used is(are) turned off. While you may not have problems with just one component source and one S-video source hooked up, when you start using the remaining ports on the switch box you may have problems.

It was the adapter, NOT the switchbox, that was modified int a Y. I have svideo from my cable-TV, and interlaced-component DVD. I needed a way to plug both into the round port, so I had to to modify the adapter. The switchbox is used to undo the Y's distortion. It completely kills one signal or the other. (the Y + the swichbox = an effective A\\B switch) As far as I know, this is the ONLY way you can possibly hook up both interlaced component AND svideo to an X1.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
You can also just use three RCA Y-splitters to get the same effect... I did this for a while, though it degrades the quality slightly. (I could tell a difference between plugging in directly and using the splitters). It's not necessary to splice into the adapter (though of course, as with most things, there's more than one way to do it...).

·
Registered
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miltimj
You can also just use three RCA Y-splitters to get the same effect... I did this for a while, though it degrades the quality slightly. (I could tell a difference between plugging in directly and using the splitters). It's not necessary to splice into the adapter (though of course, as with most things, there's more than one way to do it...).

Maybe I was not clear enough. On the round svideo port, two pins are ONLY used by svideo, 3 pins are ONLY used by component, and two pins are grounds shared by both. The infocus adapter feeds component to the 3 component pins, but deadends the 2 svideo-specific pins. In my case I needed to hook up both an svideo source AND a component source, and doing this requires access to all 7 pins. I modified the adapter by dremmeling down to the 2 unused pins and soldering that metal to the leads on an svideo cord. My Y is not a true Y because none of the signal lines are split,- it is only the grounds that are shared. It simply allows me to hook up both types of sources (on different circuits within the projector).

The splitters you mentioned would not work for this as it would send the svideo signal to the component lines. The way the projector is designed modifying the adapter is the ONLY way you can hook up both an svideo AND an interlaced component.

The switchbox is used to prevent confusng the projector by feeding it two sources. Although the projector recognizes component and svideo as separate sources, and remembers different custom settings for each, you cannot select between the two with the projector remote.

If there is an active 480i component source, the projector will not even try to set up an svideo picture. My mod is simply to correct a flaw in an otherwise great machine.

·
Registered
152 Posts
You guys might want to take a look at our component switching/distribution FAQ page. It goes into detail on the issues you can see with passive switches and Y cables.

http://www.video-storm.com/videoinfo.asp

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Hmmm...

I have never seen a 7 pin S-video jack before, most have four pins two for signal and two for ground.

But it is also true that the Y of S-video is the same as the Y of component video of the same scan rate (480i, 576i only).

·
Registered
333 Posts
The 7 pin jack has 3 extra pins in the center for interlaced component.

My Y is not a true Y , because one branch goes to the svideo, and one branch goes to component.-which are different circuits within the projector. It would not be the same because svideo combines all the color on one circuit, and component divides the color among two circuits. They are different signals processed in a different manner among different circuits.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Perhaps some of the confusion is in the fact that this really is a proprietary connection into the projector. (e.g. it can also accept component inputs on different pins, as Jeff has pointed out)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Maybe this picture will clear things up.

Infocus' component adapter had one major design flaw. Pins 3 and 4 (used by svideo but not by component) are deadended inside the adapter plug. Although the projector is wired for both svideo and interlaced-component, Infocus did not design any adapter that would allow you to attach both. If you have an interlaced component source and an svideo source you only have two options- swap patchcords each time you switch sources, or DIY.

This thread has drifted a little bit away from the original question, but if someone wants to use both an svideo source and an interlaced component source, this adapter mod will do it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.