AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a VSX-D514 pioneer surround receiver and I will be adding a sub to my system. my front speaker consist of floor standing speakers with 10" woofers, mids, and tweeters. I am adding a jbl e250 sub to my system and need to know what to set the receiver to. i can set the sub to yes, no, or plus. of course no is not an option. if i set it to yes it will bass from small speakers to the sub. if i set it to plus it will send bass to the large speakers and the sub also. i could leave it like that or i could set my front speakers to small in the setup and let the sub handle all the bass. would this be best for the highest quality sound. i do like bassy sounds so i thought i would set it so bass would go to the large fronts and the sub, but i want a nice crisp sound. what do you suggest?

thanks!

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuuder3
what do you suggest?

thanks!
I suggest (seriously) that you try it both ways. Conventional set-up would be speakers "small", sub "yes" and play around with the crossover point (I'm not familiar with your receiver but I assume it's adjustable).

Some people like the fullness that "large" (for the fronts) and "plus" can deliver. Up to you to decide what works best in your room as one man's thumpin' bass is another man's unbearable boom.

If I was a betting man, I'd wager that long term you'll like option #1 the best...

John

·
Registered
30,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuuder3
the crossover is adjustable. where should i start, 150 hz?
Too high for most 10" floorstanding speakers. What is their rated response? If you do not know it, I would start with 80Hz and see if that works. Then you might experiment with more or less.

Kal

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sending the same bass signals to the fronts and sub typically causes large peaks and valleys to form due to acoustic interference between the speakers, sub and room modes. It can actually reduce the apparent bass output of your system in some areas of the room.

Synergistic combinations can produce very even overall bass response, but this is rare.

Ideally, you should use an SPL meter to set the L/R and sub individually to the same level at the 80hz crossover from the listening position.

ie:

Set L/R to small/80hz; Sub to yes; LFE channel to -6db in level. the subwoofer local crossover should be set to the highest frequency available and the phase control to 0.

Place the meter at the listening position at ear level, C-weighted/slow response.

Turn the subwoofer off, then measure the SPL of your main speakers at 80hz.

75db is a reasonable SPL to use as reference. (set the system volume so that this level shows on the meter while playing an 80hz tone.)

Turn the L/R speakers off, and set the subwoofer gain so that its output at 80hz exactly matches that of the L/R speakers.

Turn the L/R speakers back on and do a composite measurement. The result should be 2-3db higher than the sub alone. if it's lower, invert the phase angle and measure again.

Use the angle that produces the highest output.

If the overall bass level is not high enough, try reducing the local subwoofer crossover frequency, then repeat the process.

This should force you to increase the subwoofer gain slightly in order to match the L/R at 80hz, resulting in louder deep bass.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a similiar set up to you, Pioneer vsx-d812 and a JBL sub along with Polk T90EB's . I have found that I vary the setting depending on what I'm listening to and the volume I playing it. For normal volume and everyday listening I have found that setting the speaker on large and the sub on plus does indeed create a fuller sound which I prefer. However, if I'm in the mood to play something very loud, like when the wife is out :), or if what I am playing is very bass heavy I have found that the it can start to sound muddy and boomy. In these cases I set the speakers to small and it sound great. By the way I set the crossover to 100.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.