AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am wondering whats the "right" way for a non 5.1 divx to sound on a 5.1 setup.

I have ac3filter installed, and configured for 5.1. However when watching regular dvdrips the sound comes only from the front speakers.

The rear are unused.

So I was wondering, whats the "right" way for this to sound. Should the rear speakers play the stereo sound aswell? Before I reinstalled windows I somehow managed to get it output stereo sound on rear speakers on non 5.1 movies and I think I liked it better. However at the moment I cant figure out how I managed to do that. I think it was somehow using PowerDVD9 sound device. So before I go on changing that, how should it actually sound?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
The correct sound would be what you are hearing. The fronts only. Are you sending this audio to a receiver? You'd use one of the receiver's matrix options to simulate surround in your rears and turn it off when you watch a 5.1 source.

·
Registered
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte /forum/post/18211773

The correct sound would be what you are hearing. The fronts only. Are you sending this audio to a receiver? You'd use one of the receiver's matrix options to simulate surround in your rears and turn it off when you watch a 5.1 source.

I'll add that some receivers will have different options for how to handle your center channel, you might want to play with each and see what you like best.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't use the recievers decoding capabilities.

Reciever is set for "external decoder" and just plays what is sent to it over the PL-to-RCA cables. My pc does the decoding, I dont use SPDIF.

Do you guys know of a codec configuration that would allow sound to come out of all channels on non 5.1 movies?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
What's the reason you're using analog? To get 24/96Khz from flac?

If not, IMO you'd be better off using the receiver's decoders. This will also allow you to turn on/off the matrix when you need to. You'd have to do the same with the PC. If you setup a matrix 5.1 then you'd have to turn it off when you watch a 5.1 source, otherwise you'd be altering it and screwing it up.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by we78 /forum/post/18211717

...when watching regular dvdrips the sound comes only from the front speakers. The rear are unused...Before I reinstalled windows I somehow managed to get it output stereo sound on rear speakers on non 5.1 movies and I think I liked it better. However at the moment I cant figure out how I managed to do that. I think it was somehow using PowerDVD9 sound device.

Dunno about PDVD settings, but my PC's Realtek HD Audio Manager Control Panel has a setting in Speaker Configuration (where I have 5.1 set also) called "Speaker Fill":

"Speaker Fill creates a virtual environment for playback of stereo audio sources on surround speaker systems"

Maybe you have something like that on your PC? Or perhaps, you have not yet re-installed your audio chipset's driver which has additional options beyond Windows standard?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte /forum/post/18212339

What's the reason you're using analog? To get 24/96Khz from flac?

If not, IMO you'd be better off using the receiver's decoders. This will also allow you to turn on/off the matrix when you need to. You'd have to do the same with the PC. If you setup a matrix 5.1 then you'd have to turn it off when you watch a 5.1 source, otherwise you'd be altering it and screwing it up.

No, actually I just assumed that because my reciever is quite old I would get better results going this way and it would be easier to "debug" things that go wrong this way.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
As long as your receiver supports the DD and DTS codecs, you won't get better results using analog, and you're actually increasing the complication of your setup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts