AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the Mits HD1000U projector. This is my very first projector.

I am currently using it wiith my Toshiba DVD player which does not have upconversion to 720p. I am hooking it up to the Mits using the S-video cable. My projected image is around 95" diagonal size.

With the above setup, I am pleased with the picture quality
, but I am not using my projector at its best, i.e. 720p.

Hence, before I get a new DVD player with HDMI output and 720p upconvertor, just wanted to know how significant the jump from 480p to 720p is ?

Also, how significant is the jump from S-Video to Component, OR
S-Video to HDMI ?

Thanks,
Manoj

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Using this projector with anything less than HD material (720p OR 1080I/P) is a sin and makes no sense.

Upconversion is fine...BUT nothing compares to real HD.

Feeding this PJ a regular DVD through s-video is a crime!

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
Why are you using S-video on your DVD player? It doesn't have component inputs? You have to at least use component inputs to the projector. HD satellite and OTA is BEAUTIFUL on the HD1000. I tried the Panasonic S52 upconverter with my HD1000 and it looked worse than my 480p player. I don't have a HD player yet because they're still too expensive, the format war thing, and a lot of the HD movies released suck.

·
Registered
397 Posts
A good idea would be the HD-A2, it has great upconversion and will also play hi def DVDs. Or get a PS3.

Upconverting will not get you too far, but HD content will.

Consider an OTA cable tuner if you're in a metro area.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you have a large DVD collection buy an upconverting player, or a HD DVD. Standard DVD's look better on a projector than on anything else. Get the best out of what you have and enjoy your movies.

I'll go HD OTA before I invest in HD DVD though.

Will a PS3 upconvert DVDs? I thought you needed HD DVD and not Blue Ray.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojrochani /forum/post/0

I am hooking it up to the Mits using the S-video cable.

Here's a clever but inexpensive mod to improve your picture quality:
  • Using a measuring tape, carefully mark your S-video cable into 1.1-cm sections (this corresponds to a wavelength of 2.7254e+4MHz);
  • Using a pair of diagonal cutters, cut the S-video cable at the marks into equal length sections (cable units). Make sure the cut-ends are at precisely 90-degrees to the cable length!!
  • Collect the modded cable units together onto a newspaper spread out for that purpose;
  • Fold the newspaper into a sphere with the modded cable units in the centre; and finally
  • Place the paper sphere into a trash can.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
omg. how do i turn the red on. lol.

anyway what he said.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
please don't pm me anymore to tell me how to turn the red on.

that was a joke.

thanks.

and by the way welcome to front projection manojrochani

resolution is good, but source is everything.

good luck

cheers

·
Registered
427 Posts
I went from a panasonic R56 DVD player with Faroudja processing to a Zenith DVB318 which will upscale via component. The improvement was so noticeable, my wife even noticed! To keep it in perspective, my PJ is only 480p. Can't wait to see how it looks on 720p panels.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Got a Sanyo Z5 last month...have not fed it HD yet

I get my HD Satellite reciever this week(in time for Allstar game)

So far I have been very IMPRESSED with SD-DVD's running on component but been unimpressed by 480p running on S-Video(my old SAT. receiver didn"t have component output).

So should I get a seat belt for my recliner?

I am thinking when I see the HDtv for the first time I could be blown out of my chair??

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Mano,

Get yourself a hd tuner and HD or BR dvd player. There is no comparison. Some upconverts do well. But, there is no comparison.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/0

Here's a clever but inexpensive mod to improve your picture quality:
  • Using a measuring tape, carefully mark your S-video cable into 1.1-cm sections (this corresponds to a wavelength of 2.7254e+4MHz);
  • Using a pair of diagonal cutters, cut the S-video cable at the marks into equal length sections (cable units). Make sure the cut-ends are at precisely 90-degrees to the cable length!!
  • Collect the modded cable units together onto a newspaper spread out for that purpose;
  • Fold the newspaper into a sphere with the modded cable units in the centre; and finally
  • Place the paper sphere into a trash can.

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
At least go to This site and get the Bravo D1 (for $35). Follow These instructions for replacing the capacitor (courtesy of Cavu), set the Bravo to 720P and see your DVD collection anew. (connected via HDMI/DVI - DO NOT connect this player via any other method. It is a poor analog player.)

And save up for your new HD (or Blu) player. I'm waiting for the smoke to clear. (The memory of) my Beta tape library reminds me of failed formats.

HD/Blu adherents may now loose their arrows.

BTW: the Bravo D1 works very well with my Optoma HD70. I cannot state how it will work with the Mits HD1000U.

·
Registered
314 Posts
1st off S-Video is only 480i, not 480p.

There is a huge improvement from 480i to 480p and it gets a little better from there.

I have a Sony DVP-NC85H and upconverting to 1080i via HDMI to my HD70 with an 80" scren and the picture is better then 480p, but not as good as my HD feed from DirecTV.

Definitely, replace your DVD player with as least a progressive scan one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You do realize that with S-Video you're not even getting 480p... 480i is the limit on S-Video cables. You need to upgrade to at very least component cables if you want 480p or better.

I have a modified Xbox 1 that I use as an upscaling DVD player but most of my content comes from my Xbox 360...

Even with 480i/p content, the image looks like completely trash over S-Video compared to component.

Get some good content in there. Heck plug your Computer in via VGA/DVI to watch some DVDs and I guarantee it will look leaps and bounds superior to what you're seeing now.

EDIT: looks like killerdoberman ^ beat me to the 480i/480p punch

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I think we scared Manoj off

·
Registered
431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/0

[*]Fold the newspaper into a sphere with the modded cable units in the centre; and finally...

CAVU - how do you "fold" something into a sphere?
Otherwise, excellent instructions!

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.