AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 46807 about 2 months ago and absolutely love it. I am now moving and since the neighborhood has no cable service, I am going directv. I have decided to get the Hughes E86 HDTV receiver, since it was 699 including the directv plus oval dish, install kit and some cabling (component, s-video, optical, etc).

However, I have seen some posts lately saying that firewire and 5C copyright protection and the Mits promise upgrade will be here very soon. I have heard the mits upgrade will be about a thousand bucks or so.

When it does come out, will I be forced to buy it in order to receive local OTA and directv HD stations? I know my Mits wont' become obsolete (atleast I hope not) but should I wait for the 3rd generation set top boxes that feature firewire? I have 30 days to return the Hughes, so any input would be great (I actually haven't even received it yet, so I have a little more time I guess). Will this Hughes box become obsolete whenever firewire is introduced? How is this all gonna play out?

Thanks to anyone that can help. I just really can't afford to pay 700 bucks right now and then another 1000 for the upgrade from Mits in another month just to be able to watch a couple HD stations.

Thanks,

Neal

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I don't have any inside information or any real insight, but you can't expect it to play out quickly at all. Consider how long it's taking HDTV to come about. There will be a similar long period before any copyright scheme can fall into place, and it might never happen, or it might be a different scheme, or it might be crackable. Hopefully we'll be okay for 6 years, and then it will be about time to get a new set.

------------------

Abdul

Click to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Abdul,

For the sake of my bank account, I hope you are correct. I don't wanna have to send back anything or have obsolete equipment all because the movie studios are worried about copyright protection. It seems to me there will always be a way to record and make copies of anything that consumers want, ie vhs, cd, tape, etc..

In my opinion, all they are doing with all this is delaying hdtv by keeping people without hd compatible tv's staying with their analog sets as long as they can.

Its my opinion anyway,

Neal

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.