AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Viewed a 6PG Xtra today that I was thinking of buying, but unfortunately it is not to be. The tubes are toast and there is no point card. There are nearly 6K hours on the tubes, and even worse the picture burn is very small 4:3 so theres no way around it (or rather, inside it). It was a folded rear projection setup in a daylight presentation room onto a smallish screen. Maybe next time....

However, it was the amount of soot (I know its not really soot) around the HV splitter that prompted me to post this. Not having viewed the inside of many PJs (well, three!) it made me wonder if this was a bad sign of any untoward symptoms.

I say this because my own 6PG has absolutely NO soot at all the red HV leads are still red! You couldnt see any red at all on the Xtra I viewed today.

So you guys that have seen hundreds of PJs, check out the pic is this to be expected for a PJ from a clean environment?

BTW I would reconsider the Xtra if I could transplant the minty tubes from my plain vanilla 6PG, but Ive picked up that they are different. If Im wrong in that, please let me know so I dont kick myself later!

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
'Clean' is apparently a relative term..:)

Soot isn't a big deal, and is to be expected, unless it smells like burnt silicone, and then it would have been a smoke show from that HV transformer.

But I've seen sets a lot worse than that.

:)

Curt

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Me too, but not in a CRT PJ ;)

Serviced a home computer and the guy smoked all the time.

When dust and smoke creates a sticky dough kind of substance you really don't want to service the computer :D

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that snippet Curt – it all adds to the newbies (me!) pool of knowledge. Guess I’m now gonna have to go burn some silicone and inhale deeply to reinforce that learning point! :cool: Don’t think it will replace my cigars though....

Do you happen to know that PG tubes WON’T fit a PG Xtra?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
IMHO PG and PG+ are the same, PGx red and blue are unique, PGx green is the same as the XG green

Roland

P.S.:

Thank god that the smoke residue on the HV lines is not as bad for the pic quality as the smoke residue on the digitalos LCD panels...

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Roland – thanks, that confirms my understanding that PG and PG+ are the same as each other, but PGX are different to both those.

But your reference to the PGX green being the same as the XG green puzzles me. Are not the PGs 7†and the XGs 8� :confused:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
All NEC tubes except the 9" types of the GP-5000 and the 10PG have the same size and so all the NEC 7" and 8" PJs from the liquid coupled DP-1200 over the GP-3000, the three PG series up to the XGs are 8" projectors, and all of them are EM units and all of them have digital convergence and the DP-1200 and the two GPs (3k and 5k) have an unique point convergence that does not drift more than normal dynamic convergence, although the 1200 and 3000 can not really benefit from EMF regarding spot size as the cathodes in the tubes are not sharp enough...

Roland

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow Roland - is nothing in this CRT world straightforward? :D

I was just going by NEC's own documentation which states PGs are 7 inch. But I gladly accept your wisdom in this matter.

Gee - I got a 8 incher! Just checked and the PQ does look MUCH better now!

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
It is a rating, not an actual measurement.

I have heard that you can, and also that you can't, transplant the red and blue tubes. So I dunno....

That dust around the HV wouldn't worry me too much, I'd offer them 150 quid for the thing if the tubes are shot. You can scrounge around, or chuck in VDC's. An Xtra is worth retubing IMO.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark_A_W
It is a rating, not an actual measurement.

Don't tell the girlies that!

:p

·
Registered
94 Posts
"It was a folded rear projection setup in a daylight presentation room onto a smallish screen"

That's interesting because I recently bought my second marquee 8000, it was used much like the one your thinking of in retro rear projection setup with a small screen and I had the same thing going on. Theres was nothing like that in my higher hour marquee.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you're talking about the "soot", it occurs to me that they probably NEVER clean/vucuum/dust inside the rear projection equipment enclosure (no doubt it's got a proper name - "booth"?). Hence genarally more dust floating around than inside a presentation room, etc.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I think the area you picture is the area where the fan exhausts. I think mine was fairly dirty in that same spot too.

If it was smoke, I'd suggesting tapering off the smokes rather than going cold turkey. Apply 2 niccotine patches every day for a week. Convergence seems to drift if you stop suddenly.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
They all get dirty there - that's is where the fan exhausts, but the HV splitter and flyback trannie are right there too. The blue neckboard/tube may be dusty as well.

Dust gathers at the HV due to static - but at least it's not under the blue tube face/lens like a sony 12xx.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark_A_W
...... I'd offer them 150 quid for the thing if the tubes are shot. You can scrounge around, or chuck in VDC's. An Xtra is worth retubing IMO.
Mark - just to say thanks (?)! After your comment I reconsidered and decided to go for it. I've just doubled my inventory - oh no, where will it all end!

Offered £200 which was accepted. He was originally asking £500 (FB #3845798841). OK, not £150, but now I’ve had a play with it I can live with the blue and red for a while. Worth the extra £50.

The green is poor – I’d say between a 3 and a 4. But I was really surprised how “good†a picture it still projected. There is a very noticeable brightness on the clean phosphor area at the edges, as the raster had been run very small. I think it will be recoverable as a temporary measure with the wear-evening procedure while I “scrounge aroundâ€. I guess I’ll have to boost the green G2?

I’m AMAZED at the improvement in corner sharpness over my 6PG, with the Xtra’s electronic astig etc. And that’s without a proper setup – everything’s just zeroed at the moment. In fact, the whole convergence procedure is much more refined with the enhanced menu options and all.

I was very happy with my 6PG (which is the one that will remain on the ceiling for a while yet) despite the not-so-sharp corners. But now I’ve seen the Xtra I can thoroughly recommend the upgrade. I find it hard to believe it can get much better than this (re sharpness) - though I know it can from what I’ve read on here. I’ve only ever experienced these two PJs, and I think I’ll put off viewing a “top end†PJ in case my bubble bursts.

The only downside is that the picture blanked a couple of times for no apparent reason while I was playing with it for the first time yesterday. No error codes or anything, and it came straight back when I reselected the input. I’m hoping that will just go away – it does happen!

So thanks again Mark. I guess you really can’t call yourself a CRT-o-phile unless you have at least two PJs on the go at the same time!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.