AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a non-declare competition between me and my friend on who have the best equipment setup. It happens that we end using the same receiver the Yamaha RXV-3000. He is using it with infinity speakers, all rated at 8 ohms. I'm using it with Meadowlark Kestrels front, Petrel center and Energy RVSS rear. The Kestrels are 8 ohms but the petrel and the energy are 4 ohm and 6 ohm respectively. We were calibrating the sound levels when we notice that on my equipment in order to reach the same SPL I have to set the volume in -29 db when on his setup he only have to set the volume at -47 db.

Of course he quickly make the point that his setup sound better at higher levels, and it seems to be true :( , the sound is more clear.

Is there something wrong with my receiver or the fact that I'm using a different ohm setting affects the sound level that the unit produce? Do you think that I will require a separate amplifier? Of course if I put a separate amp he is going to say that he is doing the same thing for less money.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not a direct answer to your question, but fyi-

On my 2200, a volume of -20 gives me 85db on Rat Shack using SV(which has tones cal'ed to 85db)

Last night I tried the receiver in both the 4 and 8 ohm postion, and it made zero difference; both positions gave me [email protected] for volume.

This is with Diva's.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
The efficiency of the loudspeaker will help determine how loud they will play. A higher efficiency speaker will play louder (or play at the same volume as a lower efficiency speaker with less power). The impedence of a speaker does not necessarily mean that it is higher or lower efficiency however a 4 ohm speaker is harder to drive. The amplifiers in receivers are not very beefy and have a difficult time driving low impedences and the louder you try and push it, the worse its going to perform.

That being said, it is probably easier to drive your friends speakers so that is why they are playing louder. However, that is no indication of sound quality.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.