AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to mount a 52 inch TV above a gas fireplace, but there is a deep nook above my fireplace that's not wide enough to fit the TV. I don't want to put drywall up to eliminate the nook because I would like to use the nook to put my PS3, router, and eventually a reciever. I haven't measured how deep the nook is to give you a better idea of the the depth, but is there a mount that provides a longer arm to facilitate deep nook installs like this to allow the TV to be positioned infront of the nook?

For somewhat of a better idea of how deep the nook is, it used to hold a 32 inch standard def TV.

Edit: the nook is about 28" deep.

Okay, I've finally taken time to add pictures. I think mounting an Omni Mount UCLXB to one side in the nook and then allowing the arm to swing forward should be able to center the TV in this nook.

The dimension of the nook are:

28" deep X ~49" tall X ~40.5" wide

My wife and I are hoping to get tho whole area around the fireplace cleaned up totally emliminating the entertainment stand and putting the PS3 and a future receiver in the nook behind the TV. Does this sound like it will work?

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos /forum/post/15412901

Since the TV is wider than the nook why don't you just install some 2x4s to span the opening and mount a standard mount to the 2x4s? You could also mount a piece of wood to the 2x4s if you want a "nicer" look.

As Mayhem noted maybe pics would make my explanation clearer. Currently I have an entertainment stand on the ground next to the fireplace and I'm hoping to clean up this look and eliminate the stand all together. So, I was hoping to use the nook to sit all my components into behind the TV once mounted.

Your suggestion is something that I've pondered on, but was hoping to still have good use of the nook.

Tonight I'll post some pics and offer some further ideas that I have and maybe you guys can tell me whether I'm on or off the right track. Thanks so far for you help.

· Registered
1,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxva8 /forum/post/15413490

As Mayhem noted maybe pics would make my explanation clearer. Currently I have an entertainment stand on the ground next to the fireplace and I'm hoping to clean up this look and eliminate the stand all together. So, I was hoping to use the nook to sit all my components into behind the TV once mounted.

Your suggestion is something that I've pondered on, but was hoping to still have good use of the nook.

Tonight I'll post some pics and offer some further ideas that I have and maybe you guys can tell me whether I'm on or off the right track. Thanks so far for you help.

Pics would definitely help. Here is what my niche looks like:

Originally I was going to do a built-in style layout, with my gear on the bottom, the TV next and a shelf for speakers above it. After a couple of months with the TV up there by itself and no surround sound we decided that wasn't going to work. I wired up the adjacent wall, we bought an entertainment center, and never looked back. Much happier now. So now we are stuck with deciding what the heck to do with that huge opening.
But not everyone can do that so hopefully we can help you figure out the best alternative.

· Registered
805 Posts
You could get an articulating arm for your new TV. This would allow you some flexibility. If your TV is bigger than the opening at least you could keep the articulating arm as far in as possible so the TV is 'resting' against the front face of the outer nook.

· Registered
3 Posts
i had the same problem. still not sure if i like the outcome but it will have to do until the basement reno is done and the 65" goes up. my opening is alot smaller than yours. have a 47" lg hanging. take a look at the pics.. if i had my choice i would take the whole thing out but thats to much work right now. hopefully it gives ya an idea..

ps

dont mind the mess in behind the tv.

· Registered
5 Posts
I would frame a box of 2x4's the exact width of the opening, and shorter by a few inches than the height of the tv. Next put 2x4's on the flat horizontally set to your mount size, and set back into the frame you built enough to keep the mount flush with the wall plane. Now you can screw this box to the inside of that opening more to the top. That opening is probably framed out with wood so you can screw to the inside of it on the same plane as if the wall continued through. This will leave you some space on the bottom of the tv to use the bottom shelf to put your ps3 and a receiver.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapBooty /forum/post/15423322

i had the same problem. still not sure if i like the outcome but it will have to do until the basement reno is done and the 65" goes up. my opening is alot smaller than yours. have a 47" lg hanging. take a look at the pics.. if i had my choice i would take the whole thing out but thats to much work right now. hopefully it gives ya an idea..

ps

dont mind the mess in behind the tv.

Fortunately your nook is much shallower, but for me, yes, this is pretty much the final result that I hope to get.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead1972 /forum/post/15447253

I would frame a box of 2x4's the exact width of the opening, and shorter by a few inches than the height of the tv. Next put 2x4's on the flat horizontally set to your mount size, and set back into the frame you built enough to keep the mount flush with the wall plane. Now you can screw this box to the inside of that opening more to the top. That opening is probably framed out with wood so you can screw to the inside of it on the same plane as if the wall continued through. This will leave you some space on the bottom of the tv to use the bottom shelf to put your ps3 and a receiver.

Thanks for the advice. This does seem like a good idea. It seems that it would take away somewhat from accessing anything I plan on putting behind me TV, but so far I think this would be a good idea if an articulating mount on one of the side walls does not work.

· Registered
555 Posts
My thought for mine (see below) is to build a false wall that would be framed of 2x4's with finished grade plywood cover mounted on a piano hinge. That way I could mount a standard mount for the TV and install all my components behind. Would have to install some sort of latch to keep it closed when not in use. There are piano hinges that can easily handle 600 lbs, so no issue there. Just a thought.

· Registered
1,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead1972 /forum/post/15447253

I agreed with his assesment

tony

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, so I've achieved the project with the cantilever OmniMount. I think it worked out very well. And, the guy from Infinite Sight and Sound made it all possible for me. I have to say that these guys are really professional and knowledgable about their craft. This is just the start of my theater project and I plan to use them again after I start getting into the sound side of things. I'll update this post with pics soon.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The bit of drywall repair going on in some of the pictures is something that I was working on myself from the electrical work. I only had Infinite Sight and Sound hand the TV for me.

In the picture above you can just see the canitlever mount's swing arm. The mount in of mount on this inside wall. These enough length on the arm that I'm able to swing the TV to the side and access my PS3 that's behind there. In the nook I also have a wireless router. In the future I plan to put a receiver back there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.