AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is driving me nuts.......some folk have replied to my other inquiry about not being able to play burnt dvd's on this ##@*# toshiba player/recorder with the remark that the dvd's have to be FINALIZED to play????????

I figured that the computer already did this because they play on other dvd players......BUT THEY WONT PLAY ON THIS ^#$%&$%### MACHINE!!!!!

Aren't these machines made to play dvd's burnt on computers??????

how does a guy re-finalize a burnt dvd????

can it be done with the toshiba player/recorder????

·
Registered
100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrustee /forum/post/14177408

this is driving me nuts.......some folk have replied to my other inquiry about not being able to play burnt dvd's on this ##@*# toshiba player/recorder with the remark that the dvd's have to be FINALIZED to play????????

I figured that the computer already did this because they play on other dvd players......BUT THEY WONT PLAY ON THIS ^#$%&$%### MACHINE!!!!!

Aren't these machines made to play dvd's burnt on computers??????

how does a guy re-finalize a burnt dvd????

can it be done with the toshiba player/recorder????

Your post is rather rambling, and you do not give much detail but consider this...

First off, you do not have to finalize a disc created on a computer. Your authoring software takes care of that.

Normally finalizing can only be done on the same brand machine that created the disc and there is probably no such thing as re-finalizing a disc. A disc that is not finalized (other than +RW and RAM) cannot be read on a computer or another brand DVD recorder.

As for your problem of your Toshiba not playing a computer created disc:

- Are you sure the media you are using is compatible with your Toshiba? Try a different brand anyway.

- Is your computer creating a compliant DVD? You cannot just copy files to a blank DVD and expect them to play. And, just because a particular player will play a disc, does not mean the disc is compliant. Some low budget players are designed to play just about anything.

- What software are you using on your computer to create/burn the disc.

- Perhaps your Toshiba is defective.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
most manuals with most recorders/players state that not all discs that are supposed to play on a given machine will do so.

just the way it is. so far.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks westgate......

FYI: my dvd's are burnt on to a variety of discs, some +r, some -r, some fuji, maxell, verbatim, imitation, philips, etc......

the movies were downloaded, converted to DIVX with the Divx converter, then were burned to disc using windows media player version 11......

as I mentioned prior post, all the movies play well on my cheapy toshiba 4000 player....

but not a one will load/play on the new toshiba dr7 player/recorder...

I took the dr7 back and exchanged for another similar unit and the same thing occurs so I am ruling out the posssibility of a defective machine.

It appears that the tosh dr7 simply will not read my burned discs....

so I am going to return it for refund and try a different make of machine and try my luck again.....

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Did you just burn the divx files to disc using WMP11 or did you use WMP11 to convert them to DVD compliant MPEG2 Video files and burn the DVDs in DVD-Video format because as far as I know, WMP 11 cannot natively author and burn DVD-Video compliant DVDs?

Some DVD players can play DIVX files natively off of a DVD, but those with that capability are few and far between. Don't know about the 4000, but for your Tosh DVD recorder to play the discs, your source files would have had to be converted to DVD-Video compliant MPEG2 files and then burned in DVD-Video compliant format - was this done?

Furthermore, a little thread discipline would be nice so that the information you provide and the information you receive can be consolidated in one thread. It's kind of ridiculous to spread essentially the same topic across three threads initiated by yourself with bits and pieces of essential information spread across all of them. Besides, this approach only delays getting you the answers you seek, confuses potential helpers, and takes up forum bandwidth.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks vferrari....

what I did is thus:

1) inserted blank dvd into computer....onscreen menu pops up and I chose: "burn a dvd data disc using windows media player".......then I simply transported the divx files of my choosing to the wmp burn list (and non divx movie files as well I might mention), and burnt them to the disc(s)....and waited till they automatically ejected after being burnt and finalized.

I am not really computer savy, but all I do know is that the discs worked fine in the electrohome cheapy upconverting player I had and work well in the tosh 4000.....

as for mpeg2 format, on this topic I am nieve.....I figured that wmp made discs playable on other devices automatically.....and transferred divx files onto disc in divx format so that players divx compliant would play them??

re: thread discipline....makes sense to me ...OOOOps.....

·
Registered
3,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrustee /forum/post/14181490

thanks vferrari....

what I did is thus:

1) inserted blank dvd into computer....onscreen menu pops up and I chose: "burn a dvd data disc using windows media player".......then I simply transported the divx files of my choosing to the wmp burn list (and non divx movie files as well I might mention), and burnt them to the disc(s)....and waited till they automatically ejected after being burnt and finalized.

I am not really computer savy, but all I do know is that the discs worked fine in the electrohome cheapy upconverting player I had and work well in the tosh 4000.....

as for mpeg2 format, on this topic I am nieve.....I figured that wmp made discs playable on other devices automatically.....and transferred divx files onto disc in divx format so that players divx compliant would play them??

re: thread discipline....makes sense to me ...OOOOps.....

Dusty,

Now we are getting somewhere. The problem appears to be that you are making data DVD discs with divx files on them. Like I said in my previous response to you, some DVD players (a small minority) can recognize DIVX files off of DVD data discs and play them back. However, most DVD players and recorder/players are looking for DVD-Video compliant discs with the same video format (mpeg2) and file structure that exists with store bought DVD videos. What you need to do is get a program that can take a DIVX file, convert that file to an mpeg2 (DVD video compliant) file and then author and burn a DVD video disc (not a DVD data disc). Many disc burning suites such as Roxio DVD creator or Nero can do this for you or you can attempt to obtain a freeware program. I would suggest going to videohelp.com and look for DIVX to DVD conversion to see what programs are out there for you. Good luck. But bottom line, if you are feeding divx DVD discs to your Toshiba DVD recorder, then its no wonder that it is not recognizing them.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vferrari /forum/post/14181760

Dusty,

Now we are getting somewhere. The problem appears to be that you are making data DVD discs with divx files on them. Like I said in my previous response to you, some DVD players (a small minority) can recognize DIVX files off of DVD data discs and play them back. However, most DVD players and recorder/players are looking for DVD-Video compliant discs with the same video format (mpeg2) and file structure that exists with store bought DVD videos. What you need to do is get a program that can take a DIVX file, convert that file to an mpeg2 (DVD video compliant) file and then author and burn a DVD video disc (not a DVD data disc). Many disc burning suites such as Roxio DVD creator or Nero can do this for you or you can attempt to obtain a freeware program. I would suggest going to videohelp.com and look for DIVX to DVD conversion to see what programs are out there for you. Good luck. But bottom line, if you are feeding divx DVD discs to your Toshiba DVD recorder, then its no wonder that it is not recognizing them.

thanks for setting me straight vferrari......I did a little research on the issue of data v/s dvd discs after reading this from you.....

from what I gathered, the info burned via data disc is a duplication of the original file format without any conversion to mpeg2.

SO HERE is my question for you:

my movies on the data discs are in varied format, some are divx, many are AVI, some mpeg, etc, etc.

now it is obvious to me that the toshiba 4000 can somehow recognize the file type and load and play it whereas the toshiba dr7 player/recorder cannot do so at all.

IS THIS TYPICAL of all dvd recorders??? will any other makes such as samsung, panny, etc. handle my already burnt discs?? or will they react same as tosh dr7?

and do player/recorder machines differ from straight player only machines in ability to read/load files?

if so, perhaps I should simply play my old dvd movies on the tosh 4000....AND keep the tosh dr7 for recording from tv tasks and vhs tape copying, etc?

of course, I would prefer one machine that does both but this may not be plausible?

and in closing, is toshiba good overall? the dr7 is HDMI upconverting, appears well featured and user friendly and the price was right at only $134.00

thanks in advance for any further input.....

·
Registered
1,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrustee /forum/post/14181907

perhaps I should simply play my old dvd movies on the tosh 4000....AND keep the tosh dr7 for recording from tv tasks and vhs tape copying, etc?

of course, I would prefer one machine that does both but this may not be plausible?

That could be the best strategy. Many on this forum will recommend having separate "playback" and "recording" machines, citing less wear and tear on the recorder, not to mention that most players have more features (and sometimes better playback quality).

Of course, your problem may reappear if you try to play your discs on other (future) players. In the case of the most valuable recordings, you may want to go ahead and copy them to formats that are universally accepted.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts

Quote:
my movies on the data discs are in varied format, some are divx, many are AVI, some mpeg, etc, etc.

now it is obvious to me that the toshiba 4000 can somehow recognize the file type and load and play it whereas the toshiba dr7 player/recorder cannot do so at all.

if so, perhaps I should simply play my old dvd movies on the tosh 4000....AND keep the tosh dr7 for recording from tv tasks and vhs tape copying, etc?

Now that you know what the problem was, you're faced with the option of remaking all your old data discs to the DVD Video format so they can be playable on any other dvd player. Yikes, not a welcome task.

If your new Tosh records to rewritable RWs, then you could connect the older Tosh to the dr7, and dub them to an RW, then take it to the computer to make them a bit fancier, ie, with menus et al (that is, if your dvd authoring software doesn't re-encode DVD Video, as the process would be faster than taking a native AVI or Divx file and converting it to DVD Video). Or just dub them to an -/+R and be done with it.

Either way, you've got a big decision to make. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts