AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am fast approaching the completion of my home theater room, and now that the ME paint is drying on the wall I have stepped up my search for my projector. I am trying to keep the prices around $1000 and have been looking at the x1 and the benq 6100, along with the epson home 10 and the sharp a10x. Now I understand all of these projectors have their plusses and minusses, which makes it even more difficult, but one thing I never hear anyone talking about is connectivity.


I intend to hook up a progressive scan dvd player, and a SA hd cable box to this unit. The HDef cable box will have 2 connections, the high def and the non high def. Now looking at the back of the BenQ unit I have no idea at all where I'd plug all of these wires in. Even a unit like the epson which has a number of connection options only has one set of component inputs along with a svideo and composite.


So my question is how do you all do it?????



Thanks!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,039 Posts
Simply put a line amplifier/component switcher back where your DVD player and HiDef receiver are located. Input these devices into that and run one set of component cables to the projector.


I attached a general picture ... it shows the front and back (the same unit on top of itself). These can be found at AVS Sponsors above ... or a simple search of the internet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,799 Posts
mphinne2,


I just purchased the 6100 and plan on doing the following:


Buy component to vga adapters for all my devices (HDTV box, xbox, etc). Connect all component outputs of equipment to a KVM switch with VGA adapters. Then run a single VGA cable to the 6100. Most of the good KVM switches have over 300mhz bandwitdth so HDTV is no problem. Also, the 6100 can autodetect and switch between component interlaced, component progressive, and VGA, unlike the X1 which requires that interlaced signals are on a separate input from progressive.


I've attached a diagram to explain more clearly.


russ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by russ fulks
mphinne2,


I just purchased the 6100 and plan on doing the following:


Buy component to vga adapters for all my devices (HDTV box, xbox, etc). Connect all component outputs of equipment to a KVM switch with VGA adapters. Then run a single VGA cable to the 6100. Most of the good KVM switches have over 300mhz bandwitdth so HDTV is no problem. Also, the 6100 can autodetect and switch between component interlaced, component progressive, and VGA, unlike the X1 which requires that interlaced signals are on a separate input from progressive.


I've attached a diagram to explain more clearly.


russ
Russ, how much does a switching setup like that run? Also, what kind of specs for the switches and adapters should I be looking for in order to recreate your setup? (Actually, if you could just provide links for the exact parts you bought, that'd be great!) Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ericbres
Simply put a line amplifier/component switcher back where your DVD player and HiDef receiver are located. Input these devices into that and run one set of component cables to the projector.


I attached a general picture ... it shows the front and back (the same unit on top of itself). These can be found at AVS Sponsors above ... or a simple search of the internet.
Ecribes, can you provide details on that switcher? Cost, brand, etc.?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,799 Posts
zekedmangina and mphinne,


I haven't bought the KVM switch yet, but it'll run about $70. I've been reading reviews etc. trying to decide which is best. Right now it looks like the Belkin F1DB104P is the leading candidate. It has an optional power adapter so that you can use it without connecting to a PC. It supports resolutions up to 2048x1536. If you are using it for a video switch only, you will need the power adapter. If you will have a pc connected, you don't need the power adapter because it draws power from the ps2 ports.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...=BROWSE&depa=1


The VGA to component connections and the VGA cable, can be found online at RAM electronics for $20 and $65 respectively at http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/h...s.html#hd15rgb


However, I bought my 35ft VGA cable and vga to 5RCA cables from pccables.com for $20 and $15 respectively. The VGA to 5RCA cables are IDENTICAL to the VGA to component cables from RAM, except that they have the additional black and white connectors attached. You'll never use these connectors, but they won't interfere.


VGA to 5RCA http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orde...les.com&rcode=


VGA to VGA http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orde...les.com&rcode=


Hope that helps some.


Russ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zekedmangina
Ecribes, can you provide details on that switcher? Cost, brand, etc.?
(trying to remain within AVS Forum rules)


The unit pictured is an Extron IN1404 ... MSRP seems to be $350.00

I know at least one AVS Forum sponsor (seen above) is an Extron dealer.


** EDIT - AVS themselves appear to be an Extron dealer. Show your support of this wonderfully vast knowledgebase and give them a call for a quote! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Thanks for the info russ and Ericbres. Using this method, is there any loss of image quality?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zekedmangina
Thanks for the info russ and Ericbres. Using this method, is there any loss of image quality?
If nothing else, it should crisp up the signal prior to being sent over the long run to the projector.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Fortunately, my run is only 3 feet from equipment to projector as I have my entire setup on the wall behind the couch. :)


Would this be better than using my H/K AVR430 receiver to do component input switching? (I need to hook up my XBox, DVD, and HD cable via component inputs, but the AVR430 only has 2 component inputs, so I'd have to swap connectors every once in a while.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
I use a simple 4 input manual Recoton composite audio video switch to manage my three component sources (HDTV, HD-XBox and progressive DVD). It does not degrade the picture quality at all and only set me back $30. Works great... and you have to insert a new game or DVD when you want one of those sources so there is no convenience penalty at all.


Funny... this is the second time I've posted this in the last two minutes...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
you use a composite switch to switch component signals? what kind of display device are you using and what size image? i'll be projecting a 120" diagonal image from a BenQ PB7200... if there really is no change in video quality at a picture size that large, then it sounds to me that's the way to go. (or are you just "jesting"... lol)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by russ fulks
zekedmangina and mphinne,


I haven't bought the KVM switch yet, but it'll run about $70. I've been reading reviews etc. trying to decide which is best. Right now it looks like the Belkin F1DB104P is the leading candidate. It has an optional power adapter so that you can use it without connecting to a PC. It supports resolutions up to 2048x1536. If you are using it for a video switch only, you will need the power adapter. If you will have a pc connected, you don't need the power adapter because it draws power from the ps2 ports.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...=BROWSE&depa=1


The VGA to component connections and the VGA cable, can be found online at RAM electronics for $20 and $65 respectively at http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/h...s.html#hd15rgb


However, I bought my 35ft VGA cable and vga to 5RCA cables from pccables.com for $20 and $15 respectively. The VGA to 5RCA cables are IDENTICAL to the VGA to component cables from RAM, except that they have the additional black and white connectors attached. You'll never use these connectors, but they won't interfere.


VGA to 5RCA http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orde...les.com&rcode=


VGA to VGA http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orde...les.com&rcode=


Hope that helps some.


Russ
Hey Russ,


That's great information. I have a couple questions (assuming I'm using a 6100). First, where do you find the power adapter for the Belkin switch (especially nice if I could get it from Newegg)? Second, is there any reason you know of not to use the X1 VGA to component cables directly from infocus? Those seem to be the best prices that I can find if you already have component cables. Third, does the Belkin come with a VGA to VGA cable of any length (or do I have to buy a small one)? Thanks for your help. I'm slowly leaning back toward the 6100 and have to make the choice by Friday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,799 Posts
I would suggest getting the belkin KVM from gateway. They include the power adapter and have free shipping. Total cost is better than newegg.


The only thing to be leary about when using a composite switcher is that it has enough bandwith for 720p HDTV. As for the infocus vga to component adapters, they would work fine as well. I simply went with convenience of ordering all from the same place, and the pccables looked to be better quality than the infocus adapters. The Belkin does not come with a vga to vga cable, you would have to get a long one to send the signal to the projector.


Zekedmangina,

It wouldn't be better than using your receiver per se. But it would be more convenient. If you use your receiver you'd have to manually change one of the inputs every time you want to use it. With this setup there's no need. I am using an htpc so I will have my remote programmed with the quick keys to change inputs on the kvm. So a simple remote press will switch between htpc, hdtv, and x-box.


Others have used cheap KVM's and experienced no degredation of the picture quality.


Russ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,980 Posts
"I use a simple 4 input manual Recoton composite audio video switch to manage my three component sources"


I do the same thing but use a Radio shack analog switcher. Which I keep near the components and run a 30ft component to VGA cable over to the projector. Or if the projector I use has straight component inputs then I would use a 50ft component cable I have. For S-video I just run a 50' s-video cable direct.


Some get fancy and route cables through the wall & ceiling. I just run along the ceiling and cover with plastic wire concealers. You'll hv about three main wire going to the PJ, ACcord,component cable, S-video.


Picture ->
http://www.cigarbest.com/sales/ht1000.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by russ fulks
I would suggest getting the belkin KVM from gateway. They include the power adapter and have free shipping. Total cost is better than newegg.
That sounds like a good deal. Did you already receive one of these to confirm that it included the power adapter, because on Belkin's site, it says it's an optional accessory.

Quote:
Zekedmangina,

It wouldn't be better than using your receiver per se. But it would be more convenient. If you use your receiver you'd have to manually change one of the inputs every time you want to use it. With this setup there's no need. I am using an htpc so I will have my remote programmed with the quick keys to change inputs on the kvm. So a simple remote press will switch between htpc, hdtv, and x-box.


Others have used cheap KVM's and experienced no degredation of the picture quality.


Russ
Ah, I wasn't really worrying about the convenience. I was more concerned about picture quality. But, it seems like there's no problem with that. I suppose that the KVM solution seems to be the way to go (in order to avoid possible bandwith problems with composite switchers). Thanks for your help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Would there be any problem with using this item??


40-814


3 input to 1 output Switch box, passive component video switch. Switches Pr, Pb and Y signals. RCA female jack inputs and output. Break before make switching. 50MHz bandwidth makes this switch a good choice for HDTV, DVD and other high quality video sources.



It comes from one of the sponsors and costs around $60 or so. It is just 3 sets of component inputs one set of outputs and a dial on top to select one of the three. They have automatic switchers but they run over $200.
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top