AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All-

I've got a 3310ci and am thoroughly confused- how the heck does internet radio work? At magnolia they had all these stations pull up upon demo- I can't get one freakin station to come up!

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I thought I read about other people having problems getting internet radio working on Denon.

People have definitely run into problems with the Yamaha 2700/3800/3900.

Networking can be painful. I have a lot of experience with computers programming them, and know a little bit about networking and I have read posts explaining how people fixed issues without fully understanding the solution.

Maybe you could start looking at the 3900 thread. I am pretty sure some people posted some solutions to problems they had. One thought off the top of my head was that they manually assigned a TCP/IP address to their receiver to avoid any DHCP complications ( DHCP is a mechanism by which a network device acquires an internet address on it's local network.)

It's best to go into your router and reserve a range of addresses before manually assigning addresses, but if you have a simple network you might be able to get away with just trying one at random like 192.168.0.50 (assuming you don't use Apple hardware which uses 10.0.1.x for addressses.)

·
Registered
246 Posts
I couldn't get it to work until I realized I plugged the ethernet cable into the Denon Link port instead of the Network port. Doh!

It easy to get the wrong port when you are going by feel. Once the right connection was made I get tons of channels - they are just streamed audio. Many have poor sound at 32 KHz, some are 44.1 KHz and sound better. It's a feature, but I don't know how much I will use it.

·
Registered
12,310 Posts
Internet Radio is very kool..

Basically the brands such as Denon, HK use a central internet site, and this site organizes the various streams available (URLs) by content type and bandwidth. One of the challenges with Internet Radio is that more than 1 URL may be carrying the same stream and 1 mite be @ a higher bandwidth/quality. Also frequently the URLs may drop out so that the master list is constantly being revised..

To me, Internet radio is simply another source of content but being global and Internet based it is available anywhere. Do not expect high resolution audio as the majority of the audio streams are MP3 and highly compressed. However as the Internet bandwidth increases on a global basis the audio will get better plus additional video streams will start to show up..

Just my $0.015...

·
Registered
868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyaspie /forum/post/17044576

I'm currious about that too. I hope it isn't compressed to hell like XM or Sirius.

It all depends on what station. Some are better some are worse but they are all compressed at least somewhat in my experience. Through time the trend has been toward better quality. Maybe when everyone is upgraded to FIOS we will see uncompressed hi rez streams. Ooo that would be cool.

You must be typing this message on a PC of some type. Why not give it a try? It's not as if you need to do it through a reciever. I've been pulling in internet radio in its various forms ever since I went online years ago. It's come a long way since the days when most everyone was streaming through dial up.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
My whole family enjoys internet radio and the quality is quite good. The interface on my Denon 3808 totally sucks. But the music is great.

I have my Logitech 880 remote programmed with memory presets and use it to tune in various stations. Way easier then going through either GUI or Web interface. Only takes memorizing the stations once in the Denon. Then I program a little macro in my 880 to go to internet radio, preset group A, present number 1, etc.

I have several pages in my 880 of presets. I have activities based on the style of music. I have an activity in the 880 for "Classical", "New Age", "Celtic", and yes "Rush Limbaugh". You can listen to Rush via many of the internet radio stations via Vtuner. I am also a subscriber to Solo Piano and have it manually added via Vtuner.

We probably would not enjoy it as much without the programmable remote.

Jim

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
You can have a local area net work and not be connected to the outside world in order to download internet radio stations.

The instructions to connect to Vtuner, put in your receiver's mac address, etc., are in the manual.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Its good to be connected. You still need to setup you receiver as directed on the Denon radio/vTuner web site.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly1 /forum/post/17044872

It all depends on what station. Some are better some are worse but they are all compressed at least somewhat in my experience. Through time the trend has been toward better quality. Maybe when everyone is upgraded to FIOS we will see uncompressed hi rez streams. Ooo that would be cool.

You must be typing this message on a PC of some type. Why not give it a try? It's not as if you need to do it through a reciever. I've been pulling in internet radio in its various forms ever since I went online years ago. It's come a long way since the days when most everyone was streaming through dial up.
Most definitely have heard internet radio before. I listen to it at work on a daily basis, through a pair of tiny HK computer speakers. I guess I was asking if most of us would be disappointed listening to it on our home systems. I could hook the lap-top up to my receiver and see.

edited for spelling.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
"if most of woulod be disappointed listening"

Not dissappointed here. I also use the restoration option in the Denon for decompressing the signal.

·
Registered
12,310 Posts
For the HK AVR when listening to Internet Radio, we turn ON Dolby Volume and Logic 7 it actually sounds pretty good..

So we get reasonable dynamics in 7.1, not hi-bit rate HD audio but fine for less critical listening..

Just my $0.015...

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
MMORPG Radio under Celtic/Alternative is one of my favorite web stations on Vtuner.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code /forum/post/17050084

For the HK AVR when listening to Internet Radio, we turn ON Dolby Volume and Logic 7 it actually sounds pretty good..

So we get reasonable dynamics in 7.1, not hi-bit rate HD audio but fine for less critical listening..

Just my $0.015...

Thats what I thought. It won't cut it for critical listening. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyaspie /forum/post/17052749

Thats what I thought. It won't cut it for critical listening. Thanks.

To me..

Thats fine in today's personal electronics world compressed streams are widely accepted from Satellite Radio, iPod.. However they are mainly for fill, when one wants to listen to a high-quality lossless then they can make their own comparison..

I wonder if everyone can hear the differences..

Just my $0.015...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts