AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a simple computer-type device that can be connected to an AVR such as the Onkyo SR806B that provides wireless connectivity to the internet through my wireless router. I'm looking for a simple device that can be accessed through the AVR that can utilize my on-line XM account to stream xm channels at no charge through my home theater.


The xm-tuner for this account is in my car and I would prefer to avoid bringing it into the house. Since XM provides the signal at no charge through the internet I was looking for a simple device (other than a laptop) that could perform this role.


Any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
this was my thought too at one time. the way you can do it is to run an optical line from your computer to the reciever if both of those pieces of harware support it. however, i contacted xm. i didn't have to pay for another subscription, just $5 dollars a month. worth it, and much better then paying full price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmi11er /forum/post/15505738


this was my thought too at one time. the way you can do it is to run an optical line from your computer to the reciever if both of those pieces of harware support it. however, i contacted xm. i didn't have to pay for another subscription, just $5 dollars a month. worth it, and much better then paying full price.

Why did you decide to pay $60 a year for another signal? Would it be better to just run it from the internet for free?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatwave3 /forum/post/15481085


Is there a simple computer-type device that can be connected to an AVR such as the Onkyo SR806B that provides wireless connectivity to the internet through my wireless router. I'm looking for a simple device that can be accessed through the AVR that can utilize my on-line XM account to stream xm channels at no charge through my home theater.


The xm-tuner for this account is in my car and I would prefer to avoid bringing it into the house. Since XM provides the signal at no charge through the internet I was looking for a simple device (other than a laptop) that could perform this role.


Any thoughts?

There is a XM plugin for the slimdevices squeezebox. I do not know if it works , or how well it works though.


buz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
heatwave, i would choose to pay the 60 dollars because i can switch from channel to channel just as i choose. streaming over the internet take a few moments to get each channel going. i can bounce back and forth between channels very easily with the stand alone set up. plus i don't have to hook my laptop up and have my laptop next to me to change channels.


i'm just saying you can do the streaming... i was oging to myself. had xm wanted a full 15-20 dollars a month that is what i would have done. 5 dollars a month is worth the convinence.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmi11er /forum/post/15515689


heatwave, i would choose to pay the 60 dollars because i can switch from channel to channel just as i choose. streaming over the internet take a few moments to get each channel going. i can bounce back and forth between channels very easily with the stand alone set up. plus i don't have to hook my laptop up and have my laptop next to me to change channels.


i'm just saying you can do the streaming... i was oging to myself. had xm wanted a full 15-20 dollars a month that is what i would have done. 5 dollars a month is worth the convinence.

Thanks for the feedback. I was just kinda thinking I might use an older laptop I have that has a wireless link to my router. Hide the laptop in the cabinet with a dvi to hdmi connection to the receiver and then control the laptop through a wireless keyboard/mouse. Then I would have complete access to the internet visible through my Sharp 65 LCD in addition to free XM through the laptop while still sitting on the couch. Would that make sense?
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top