AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased 2 custom subwoofer cabinets (SEALED) with 2 18 inch drivers in each of them and a single pair of binding posts. This leaves me with the option of a 2 ohm or an 8 ohm load. (4 ohm drivers)

After assessing how expensive it is to run 2000+ watts into these loads, I was thinking of going with inuke6000's with 4 ohms on each channel, one for each cabinet.

Now the speaker plate looks something like this and is screwed into the body creating a perfect seal:
https://www.parts-express.com/squar...1-8-satin-nickel-banana-binding-post--260-312

Does anyone have any experience on drilling small holes for a second set of wires, then somehow sealing those new holes? I assume they don't make a plate with 4 binding posts that is identically this size, they all seemed more rectangular. So a DIY hack sounds like my only option.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I recently purchased 2 custom subwoofer cabinets (SEALED) with 2 18 inch drivers in each of them and a single pair of binding posts. This leaves me with the option of a 2 ohm or an 8 ohm load. (4 ohm drivers)

After assessing how expensive it is to run 2000+ watts into these loads, I was thinking of going with inuke6000's with 4 ohms on each channel, one for each cabinet.

Now the speaker plate looks something like this and is screwed into the body creating a perfect seal:
https://www.parts-express.com/squar...1-8-satin-nickel-banana-binding-post--260-312

Does anyone have any experience on drilling small holes for a second set of wires, then somehow sealing those new holes? I assume they don't make a plate with 4 binding posts that is identically this size, they all seemed more rectangular. So a DIY hack sounds like my only option.

Thanks!
easy, take off the terminal cup, then glue a piece of MDF inside the cabinet righter where the cutout its... that makes a recessed hole with an mdf "plate" in there. then just use a 1/4 inch drill, drill two holes in that and tap in these. http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-bpa-38g-hd-binding-post-pair-gold--091-1245

then just tighten them down and voila.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
easy, take off the terminal cup, then glue a piece of MDF inside the cabinet righter where the cutout its... that makes a recessed hole with an mdf "plate" in there. then just use a 1/4 inch drill, drill two holes in that and tap in these. http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-bpa-38g-hd-binding-post-pair-gold--091-1245

then just tighten them down and voila.
Hey, thats a great idea :D. Couldn't I just drill holes in the plastic plate and do the same thing?

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Hey, thats a great idea :D. Couldn't I just drill holes in the plastic plate and do the same thing?
I wouldn't.. easy chance of cracking the plastic, plus they're made to be just a HAIR bigger than 1/4 inch drill bit, thus making it create a seal when you have to "tap" it in... don't think that would work with the plastic very well.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
also, why do you need another set of posts if you already have that terminal cup?
Well I don't necessarily need "posts" but a way to get a second set of wires outside the cabinet so I dont have to wire the woofers in series or parallel.

Perhaps I should just drill 2 small holes in the cup to allow 12 guage wire to fit, and seal it with something.

·
Premium Member
25,495 Posts
If you use an amp that can be bridged (I forget if the 6000 can be), wire for 8 ohms and you'll only need the 2 terminals.

8 ohms bridged is the same load on the amp as each ch driving 4 ohms.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you use an amp that can be bridged (I forget if the 6000 can be), wire for 8 ohms and you'll only need the 2 terminals.

8 ohms bridged is the same load on the amp as each ch driving 4 ohms.
Unfortunately the 6000 cannot be bridged :(

I've decided to go with a Crest Pro-lite 5.0 as this can be had for the same price as 2 Inuke6000's.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you do some searching I've seen the crest 7.5 as low as 899 from authorized crest dealers. May be unnecessary, but you are in AVS DIYLand

via Tapatalk
I ended up getting a Pro-Lite 5.0 for $649. I am very happy with that. :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts