AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All...


This is a refresher post, but more specific to the G2 adjustment on a Barco 1208/2. How do you adjust it to get the Blue tube brighter. Where is the adjustment at? I have a 1208 manual, but the menu entry shown in the manual for the 1208 does not exist in the menu for the 1208/2.


Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brankie
Hi All...


This is a refresher post, but more specific to the G2 adjustment on a Barco 1208/2. How do you adjust it to get the Blue tube brighter. Where is the adjustment at? I have a 1208 manual, but the menu entry shown in the manual for the 1208 does not exist in the menu for the 1208/2.


Thanks!
You don't use the menu to set the G2. As long as nobody turned the WRONG adjustment pots on the RGB amps, which would require recalibrating with a scope, the G2 is set with the adjustment pots by the quad. You turn each control (very slowly) until the G2 LED just goes out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707
You don't use the menu to set the G2. As long as nobody turned the WRONG adjustment pots on the RGB amps, which would require recalibrating with a scope, the G2 is set with the adjustment pots by the quad. You turn each control (very slowly) until the G2 LED just goes out.
There are noe LED's on the 1208/2 or the 1209/2. It is a specific procedure to set the G2, that reguire to set a jumper on the rgb-amplifier and display a color-bar pattern with the contrast at 0 and brightness at 50. In a complete darkend room adjust the each pot on the G2 module to the postione when the color-bar pattern is just visible on the screen. For complete procedure, it is described in detail in the service-manual.


Per Johnny
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johnny
There are noe LED's on the 1208/2 or the 1209/2. It is a specific procedure to set the G2, that reguire to set a jumper on the rgb-amplifier and display a color-bar pattern with the contrast at 0 and brightness at 50. In a complete darkend room adjust the each pot on the G2 module to the postione when the color-bar pattern is just visible on the screen. For complete procedure, it is described in detail in the service-manual.


Per Johnny
I don't really deal with Barcos and just assumed it was the same as the 808. I guess they're using the color bar signal as a pluge pattern. The probem with those "just visible" adjustements is that each person winds up setting it different and with some specific procedure, one person sets it up on an 80" wide screen while someone else will try to do it on a 12 foot wide screen........and wind up setting it too high and shortening the tube life. At least on the early G70 that had the G2 adjustment, it called for looking into the lens in the dark to set the internal pluge pattern they had just for that purpose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707
I don't really deal with Barcos and just assumed it was the same as the 808. I guess they're using the color bar signal as a pluge pattern. The probem with those "just visible" adjustements is that each person winds up setting it different and with some specific procedure, one person sets it up on an 80" wide screen while someone else will try to do it on a 12 foot wide screen........and wind up setting it too high and shortening the tube life. At least on the early G70 that had the G2 adjustment, it called for looking into the lens in the dark to set the internal pluge pattern they had just for that purpose.
You are right. It isnt a very good procedure, but it is what described in the service-manual. The factory-preset screen-size is 100", so that is a good start.


Per Johnny
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johnny
You are right. It isnt a very good procedure, but it is what described in the service-manual. The factory-preset screen-size is 100", so that is a good start.


Per Johnny
Does it specifically call for looking at the screen, as opposed to looking into the lens?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707
Does it specifically call for looking at the screen, as opposed to looking into the lens?
Yes, it does. It is no doubt for misunderstanding, because it describes the necessity for total darkness in the room.


Per Johnny
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,503 Posts
Here is what I did tonight when I fitted 3 NEW NOS OEM Barco tubes into a 1209.


I set the contrast and brightness to 50%. I set the trimpots on each video output board to 50% (the ones that are accessible at the top of the boards).


I shorted out the pins on each video output board.


I put up a 0 to 100 IRE stepped grayscale, and looked into each lens so that 0 IRE was _just_ lit up when tweaking the G2 pots. You won't see 0 IRE lit on the screen.


Then I removed all jumpers and got a good grayscale.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found a copy of the service manual for the G2... Between your posts and the manual it seems pretty straight forward. Thanks for your time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme
Here is what I did tonight when I fitted 3 NEW NOS OEM Barco tubes into a 1209.


I set the contrast and brightness to 50%. I set the trimpots on each video output board to 50% (the ones that are accessible at the top of the boards).


I shorted out the pins on each video output board.


I put up a 0 to 100 IRE stepped grayscale, and looked into each lens so that 0 IRE was _just_ lit up when tweaking the G2 pots. You won't see 0 IRE lit on the screen.


Then I removed all jumpers and got a good grayscale.


This is almost exactly what I do accept I put contrast at 0 per the manual.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kal
I'm confused. The BG1209s install manual ( http://www.curtpalme.com/docs/BarcoG...9s_Install.zip ) says that to adjust G2 you do it the same old way, that is: turn the pots until the LED's go out.


Which is correct.


Kal
The 1208/2 and 1209/2 are older chassis, that dosent have the same amplifiers as the 1209s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johnny
The 1208/2 and 1209/2 are older chassis, that dosent have the same amplifiers as the 1209s.
Now I'm confused. :D


You originally said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johnny

There are noe LED's on the 1208/2 or the 1209/2. It is a specific procedure to set the G2, that reguire to set a jumper on the rgb-amplifier and display a color-bar pattern with the contrast at 0 and brightness at 50. In a complete darkend room adjust the each pot on the G2 module to the postione when the color-bar pattern is just visible on the screen. For complete procedure, it is described in detail in the service-manual.


Per Johnny
What is the difference in the procedure between doing the 1208/2 - 1209/2 and the later 1209s ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707
Now I'm confused. :D


You originally said:




What is the difference in the procedure between doing the 1208/2 - 1209/2 and the later 1209s ?
No need to be confused. On the 1208/2 and the 1209/2 it is the jumper-procedure. On the 1209s you go into G2 adjustments in the service-menu, turn the pots until the LEDs go out.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top