AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm starting construction on my ~12 cuft ported Ultimax 15 enclosure. I wasn't able to find denim insulation anywhere locally (without buying a whole pallet), so I grabbed a bale of Rockwool Safe & Sound. I haven't opened the bale yet and can still return it if there's a better solution, but I thought I'd ask... what's the best way to affix it to the interior walls of my enclosure?

Alternatively, based on a Standing Wave Calculator, I don't have any modes below 200hz, and none below 290hz for the depth directly behind the driver. Do I need internal damping material, or not?

Internal enclosure dimensions are 31.75" x 29.5" x 22.5" (h * w * d, excluding slot port).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Everything is glued up and caulked except the front baffle... any guidance on affixing the Rockwool Safe & Sound to the cabinet walls, or if I really even need it? I was thinking staples and cardboard washers (almost like tufting), but I'm unsure if it will compress enough where stapled for them to grab/hold and remain fluffy enough elsewhere to be functional. I'd rather have an idea on how to affix it and/or if I need it before I open the bale... it wasn't cheap (~$55) and I'd happily return it if it isn't necessary or I just need to go another route for stuffing/lining.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'd try nothing at first. Then if later you feel the need for some sound deadening, get some Sonic Barrier 3 layer peal-n-stick from Parts Express.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At 29.5" wide and 31.75" tall internally, I'd need a couple of Queen or King size pillows just to cover the back wall, and I'd still need to affix them somehow to elevate them to clear the port which is on the bottom of the enclosure. The bracing I have in place would help keep them in place, though, so it's not out of the question. Stapling the outer cloth to the side-walls and bracing also seems easier than trying to come up with a way to affix the Rockwool. The box is complete (letting glue cure overnight before painting and mounting the driver/terminal-cup). I may experiment with some pillows I have on-hand to see how well they fit around the bracing and pick up some tomorrow afternoon before buttoning everything up... I'll see what Goodwill has first and then head to Ross/Marshall's if that's a bust.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I lined my Vortex-15s with spare rockwool I had leftover from my bass trap project. I stapled speaker grill cloth (also leftover from the bass traps) over it to hold it down and trap the fibers. Seemed to work well, and now the inside of the cabinets are neat and clean if I ever need to get there again.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Just staple them into place if they don't hold themself. I use to glue my denin lining to my speakers .... huge mess and also didnt work great. The last speakers I built I just staples a few spots, holds great.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've used a couple things: Long screws + fender washers work okay when affixing the insulation to wall panels, but if they're inside a speaker cabinet, I'd worry about them rattling loose.

Pipe strap works reasonably well, is super cheap, and if you get the plastic stuff, there's nothing to rattle:

The grille cloth suggestion above strikes me as the easiest and most likely to succeed.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I had considered the speaker cloth method as I have some extra around too (got sent the wrong color, was replaced and told to keep the wrong color)... but I went ahead with construction of the box and, with internal bracing in place, there's not a ton of space to work with inside now (see picture below). I think I'm going to go the pillow route and return the Rockwool.

EDIT: I grabbed the King-size poly pillows off my bed and they fit nice and snug on the back wall above and between the braces labeled 22 3/8". They're also starting to look a little dingy, so I'm just going to keep them in and pick up some new ones for the bed. The same method probably would have worked with the Rockwool, but the pillows are cheaper and I after seeing what was under the pillow shams, I don't know that I'd want to sleep on them again anyway 😂

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pillows in place... got it painted and driver mounted. Test run with HPF at 20hz (lowest option from the on-device menu) on the Behringer is super impressive. Now to dig into the Behringer PEQ software, REW, etc and get the most out of it and my room.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not sure an adhesive would work by itself for a loose fiber material like Rockwool... but since I went with the pillows, the bracing alone seems to be keeping them in place just fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts