AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there are any ways to help the quality of streaming (poor quality) music, such as a usb connected ipod. Since this is the way I listen to most of my music through my pre-amp/receiver. I have read of some things like PureMusic, which I read doesn't do much. Or do most receiver/pre-amps do this already, like denons flac hd decoding?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Demon and Onkyo have special option for processing low fidelity sources like Internet radio. You may use it. But generally speaking if something was removed from source, there is no way to get it back - it is lost forever. Just change your habit and listen lossless records only. You might even appreciate music in high resolution (24/96).

·
Registered
17,912 Posts
Garbage in, garbage out, as they say .. consider Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC), Apple's Apple Lossless, MPEG-4 ALS, Windows Media Audio 9 Lossless (WMA Lossless), Monkey's Audio, and TTA .. of course, none of that is going to help what you already have ..

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
One solution that I'm a fan of is buying these things called CDs. I can rip them to a lossless format of my choice (single-file FLAC + CUE is my preference), which I can then listen to on my Squeezeboxes and PC (where I can also convert them to whatever other format I want). A nice bonus with CDs is that I already have a full-quality backup that I can go back to in the event of data loss. Sure, they can be bulky, but a few bankers boxes stacked up in the corner of the closet take care of that "problem".

·
Premium Member
8,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnax555 /forum/post/20837221

One solution that I'm a fan of is buying these things called CDs. I can rip them to a lossless format of my choice (single-file FLAC + CUE is my preference), which I can then listen to on my Squeezeboxes and PC (where I can also convert them to whatever other format I want). A nice bonus with CDs is that I already have a full-quality backup that I can go back to in the event of data loss. Sure, they can be bulky, but a few bankers boxes stacked up in the corner of the closet take care of that "problem".

I'm with you on that one 100% I still buy the shinny stuff just like I've been doing in for the last 20 plus years..Why because if any of my hardware where I store my tunes ever decide to H.A.L on me, I can reach in side my close and start up the grueling task..I think many folks think it wouldn't ever happen, and gamble on never ever doing a weekend marathon ripping session, but I rather play it saferrrr.
Btw I do back up my itunes, but I have no idea how is that being done! I must have different sets of different stages of my Itune library.

Djoel

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the sarcasm, when you're old there isn't a thing better to do than roam forums I understand...

I just didn't want to buy a cd player, and I hate cds because every party I have destroys them. Also I like STEALING music, as does most of my generation. Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
8,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid /forum/post/20838605

Thanks for the sarcasm, when you're old there isn't a thing better to do than roam forums I understand...

I just didn't want to buy a cd player, and I hate cds because every party I have destroys them. Also I like STEALING music, as does most of my generation. Thanks for the advice.

Stay young and dumb then
..They where trying to give you some advice, and you got all sensitive and invincible as if you won't be old one day.

I would take wisdom over youth any day.

·
Registered
781 Posts
If you have a PC with a CD drive you don't need to purchase a CD player. Just pop the disc in and rip it. I do this when I ad a CD to my itunes. I have the settings on Apple Lossless. I am looking at adding an ipod dock to my system that will extract the digital bitstream from my ipod and allow me to use it as my music server, feeding the digital signal to my AVR's DAC. I can stream Pandora from it too. I'm sure there are many more ways to play music from it, but I'm "old school"

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel /forum/post/20838821

Stay young and dumb then
..They where trying to give you some advice, and you got all sensitive and invincible as if you won't be old one day.

I would take wisdom over youth any day.

..A wise man once told me..

I thanked them for the advice, and I'm glad they provided me with such advice. I know I will turn old one day, as everyone does.

On a side note, I would rather possess youth over wisdom because wisdom can be gained and youth cannot.

@ HOTDIGITY: Thank you for the subtle answer. I only began studying the audiophile arena a few months ago, and all of my efforts have been spent on studying speaker/receiver/amp/subwoofer and common set-ups. So I am rather uneducated on this subject. Also, I am not the biggest music person. Since listening to classical music at a dedicated 2 channel store on dynaudio's I am thinking of buying music of this sort because it sounded so amazing.

Also, Djoel I am far from stupid. I simply didn't feel like fully researching this particular subject on my own (laziness I know) because most of my time here on avs is spent trying to figure out a pre-amp/amp combo (so difficult). Not trying to step on anyones toes; I only wanted some opinions.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
17,912 Posts
Don't think age has anything to do with tech .. I'm 65 and I'll stack my techiness against anyone, anytime, anyplace, any age .. in fact, my young relatives come to me for advice ..

And CD's are just so last century ..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.