AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the BD30 thread but it seems to have gotten lost in the sauce as I am seeing more Onkyo owners posting that they cannot fix the problem, posting fixes that cause new problems, etc.

The LFE issue has an easy workaround for Onkyo HDMI 1.3 Receiver owners.

First, a couple of things to keep in mind:

#1 Roger Dressler has confirmed the problem is that the LFE is running -5db lower than it should on the BD30 when using PCM soundtracks.

#2 When making adjustments to channel levels within the player, those adjustments do not affect bitstreamed audio in the slightest, as those are read and sent directly to the receiver. This is both common sense and also stated in the BD30 manual.

#3 Therefore by logic if DD/DTS/TrueHD/DTS-HD are set to bitstream, the only sound format affected by in-player channel level adjustments is PCM

#4 Any adjustments made to channel levels within the player do not affect bass management variables (such as bass crossover w/ mains, etc) so long as you do not use the player's bass management features and instead use the Onkyo's bass management features. The only decoder-related settings you will be using/changing in the player is the channel volume levels.

#5 The Onkyo by default will do bass management, audyssey, and all other DSP functions on incoming PCM signals - the only way it will not is if you set it to "Direct" mode. In this case, we obviously do not want to set it to "Direct"

With that in mind, the simple and 100% effective (IMO) solution for Onkyo/Integra HDMI 1.3 Receiver owners:

1. In the PANASONIC BD30 SETUP MENU, set all sound formats (DD/TrueHD/DTS/DTS-HD) to bitstream.

2. In PANASONIC BD30 setup menu, set all speaker channel levels to -5db except sub. Set sub to 0db. Leave all other settings in the menu such as speaker size to default (which should be large for all channels and subwoofer set to yes).

3. This will in effect boost the sub by 5db with PCM soundtracks and it will leave it unaffected for DD/DTS/TrueHD/DTS-HD soundtracks as they will be bitstreamed and ignore player decoder settings. It will not affect bass management variables as they will be performed in the Onkyo with the already corrected sound levels of the full range PCM signal the Onkyo receives from the Panasonic.

So for Onkyo/Integra owners, problem solved. At least, it should be with that fix.

·
Super Moderator
16,364 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, aren't these settings within the player only applicable to the analog outs and not HDMI?

S~

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm an integra 9.8 owner.

How is this fix specific to us? It seems that by your logic if you have a receiver that can bitstream HBR codecs this should work the same.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ya, the speaker settings in the player do not affect the output over HDMI at least from what I remember. So not sure how this fixes anything. Did you actually test this and measure it?

·
Registered
796 Posts
I'd be surprised if this worked. However, I'll try it tonight and see if I can hear any difference.

EDIT: I checked the manual. Pg 22 says this:

Channel balance

This does not work when connected with the HDMI terminal and

“HDMI Audio Output” is set to “On”.

So, it appears that the channel levels will have no affect on LPCM output over HDMI.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir /forum/post/12900317

Thread title needs to change since it's ruined.

+1. Got me all excited until I saw the "solution". The channel settings only apply to analog out.

Nice try ruined but please change the title.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, with the player's analog 5.1 outputs, this could still be used as a workaround for proper volume PCM sound...

·
Registered
456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined /forum/post/12900394

Well, with the player's analog 5.1 outputs, this could still be used as a workaround for proper volume PCM sound...

Except that PCM through analog doesn't suffer from the LFE issue on the BD30. It's only through HDMI bitstream that this problem crops up.

In fact, using analog for PCM has been suggested as a workaround instead of bitstreaming (*although you won't be able to enjoy a 7.1 audio track).

I love your enthusiasm, Ruined, but it looks like it's back to the drawing board for us all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts