AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume I put the 4221 on the top and the combo underneath. It's going on a mast on the roof.

Does the overall gain increase or the beamwidth increase? Are there any downsides in doing this?

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Tell us more about the combo antenna. Is it for UHF and VHF? Will the 4221 point in the same direction as the combo antenna? What do you want the 4221 to do that the combo will not do?

Quote:
Are there any downsides in doing this?

If the combo antenna and the 4221 both pick up UHF, then the signals from the two antennas probably will interfere with each other.

Looking at your post on another thread gives a little more info:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=7870

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I should have given more info.

The combo is an HBU33 UHF/VHF http://www.antennacraft.net/HBU.html

HBU33

For Fringe Areas

85" Boom Length,

31 Electronic Elements

*Range up to

70 Mi. VHF High-Band (Ch. 7-13)

60 Mi. UHF Band (Ch. 14-69)

I have the Channel Master 4221 pointed towards Detroit (I'm in Windsor, Ontario). Detroit stations are about 30 miles from me. The antenna works great I get all UHF Detroit at %100 on my Tivax tuner FOX is high band VHF and I'm getting %70.

I can fiddle with the 4221 and get some Toledo stations while still getting all Detroit stations albeit not as strong but very acceptable.

I bought the HBU33 prior to FOX power adjustment, for the first month after the transition FOX came in at %40 and numerous drops. I got antsy and bought the HBU33 with the intention of pointing that at FOX to get the VHF and the 4221 for the rest of the UHF. I got lazy putting the HBU33 on the roof and when FOX boosted power my 4221 ended up picking it up at %70 solid.

So I'm stuck with a second antenna. I have fiddled with it though.

The HBU33 on it's own picks up some Detroit at no more than %40, with drops and not all the channels are available. I was hoping to add it to my 4221 and gain some gain and beamwidth, don't know if that's what's supposed to happen in hopes of getting Toledo.

Is there a way to 'turn off' the UHF part of the HBU33?

Also, I have an old VHF only antenna (I think it's VHF). It looks like the HBU33 but has more/longer elements but it doesn't have the part that looks like this > at the front of the antenna.

Could that antenna pick up UHF too?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts