AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed the frame for a 120" 16:9 DIY screen. I'm going to use the Da Lite Cinema Vision screen material. I was wondering what the best way to attach the material, without it ripping, would be. Should I staple it, use velco, or is there another alternative?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I think you named the top 2 most used applications. I used the velco (make sure to get industrial strength) method, assisted by a couple staples in mine. However a more interesting method (I plan to use for my next screen) is the spline method. Used for attaching mesh screens to windows and doors. Seems a very attactive alternative.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I tried the spline method on a screen, and did not find it suitable, ended up stapling anyway. maybe others can get it work but the stretch I had (and needed) in the cloth precluded the spline from being very easily driven into the groove. I gave up on it. My screen was 96 diagonal.

Chris

·
Registered
59 Posts
I used spline and it was the most difficult part of building my screen. The roller wanted to cut the screen material against the sharp edges of the groove that was routed into the wood, and it took a tremendous amount to pressure to push the spline into the groove. (Of course I could have routed a bigger groove--but I had it all ready to go when the material arrived). The advantage is that I can remove or restretch the screen if I ever need to.

I'd probably just use staples.

How do you use velcro? sew it to the edges?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I used velcro and it worked very well. In the interest of full disclosure, my screen is HCCV and the velcro was attached to the fabric per my instructions. The really hard part was stretching the material to get it attached. Just thinking about it makes my fingers sore!

The end result is fantastic. I highly recommend the velcro method. Just be sure that you have a friend help you stretch the fabric. I did it by myself.

David

·
Registered
438 Posts
The velco I used Industrial Strength Velco with an adhesive back. I got it a walmart in 5ft packs. Not very long but very wide so I cut it down the middle in thirds. Each pack gave me 15 ft and it worked very well. The adhesive holds incredibly well to both the fabric and the wood of the frame. I lined the back of the frame with the velcro. Then I stuck the other side of the velcro to it. As I pulled the screen taut I exposed more and more on the adhesive side of the velco and attached the screen to it. Quite simple but it did take forever. The results were great, no wrinkles at all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
mklein49,

I also tried the spline method but I was unsuccessful and took me forever trying to stretch the material. I end using staples and got rid of the wrinkles too.

For screen that size, I'll use staples. BTW, mine was 123" diag 16:9.

·
Registered
213 Posts
David-

Despite all the hoopla about Misty Evening and Parkland Plastic, I plan to make an HCCV screen myself. Probably around +/- 92" diag. It sounds like you got a terrific result. How did you build your frame (is there a psot to go to?) Anything you would do differently the second time around? How much "extra material did you order to wrap around the back, or did the velcro do that? You used staples to attach it? I have splined screens, I think trying to spline this material would really suck bigtime. Did you use molding/black velvet to cover your screen? Appreciate any details advice you might have. Do you have a shot of your screen? Thanks in advance for your courtesy.

Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.