AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to hang my greywolf in a couple of days and would like to do a comparison with my dalite high power sample. I've seen comparisons like this before on this site, but I'm not sure how people attach these samples in the middle of their screen without fear of damage. I'm especially worried considering the texture of the greywolf.

Your help is appreciated! In return, I will be posting a full review with pictures. I think this particular test will interest many who are between the 2 screens. I will also be testing with a ceiling mount projector and some ambient light.

·
Registered
50 Posts
be very carefull i believe the greywolf has a sandy flaky texture that you might peel off and create an area with less "sparklies"

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nws0291
be very carefull i believe the greywolf has a sandy flaky texture that you might peel off and create an area with less "sparklies"
That's kind of what I'm afraid of. I have my dalite samples here, and they seem much more durable....hmm....

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
If you need to stretch the material somewhat so it will lay flat cut out a piece of cardboard the same size of the sample and tape the sample to it. This way only one very small piece of tape is required to affix the sample to the screen. You might also wish to buy some black bristol board or equivalent to create a black border around the sample. Perceived brightness is in part a function of "border contrast" which causes "brightness induction", if the sample is pasted in the middle of another screen the brightness induction is minimized and the sample will not appear as bright as it would if alone in a black frame. The darker the border the more brightness induction is realized.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
What I do is use black posterboard and tape the sample flat to it and then hang this in front of the other screen or lean it up against that screen (being careful). Much like Hugh mentioned.

--Darin

·
Premium Member
4,873 Posts
why not use 2 flat magnets? one on the back of the screen and one on the front of the cardboard. no worries about tape on the screen, which at the very least can leave some sticky residue that collects dust.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I vote for the magnets idea.

That sounds like a safe way to do it.

Or if you can, hang the sample over the front of your current screen with some thread or fishing line.

I'd be too scared to tape anything to the screen if it were mine. :eek:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans
why not use 2 flat magnets? one on the back of the screen and one on the front of the cardboard. no worries about tape on the screen, which at the very least can leave some sticky residue that collects dust.
The magnet idea is pretty good - I never would have thought of that. I wouldn't be that concerned if it wasn't for the finish of the greywolf. I hope to have my screen mounted this weekend and will have some good comparisons for everyone shortly thereafter. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.