AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
10,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, it seems the more I do research on this, the more confused I get.

DVDfab, for instance, has this little quote about their "full 3D Blu-Ray support". Note: they don't reference making a BD50 copy of a BD50 3D disc directly.

One superior feature of Blu-ray Copy is fully supported Blu-ray 3D. It can copy a BD 50 3D to a BD 25 3D in original format; copy a 3D Blu-ray to a 2D Blu-ray; and convert Blu-ray 3D to Blu-ray SBS 3D. Blu-ray Copy can also customize the copy of any movie title in 2D/3D Blu-ray you select.

And they're not the only ones with phrasing like this.

Question: Does this mean that BD50 3D to BD50 3D bit for bit copying is problematic?

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
DVDfab is fully capable of copying 3D BD50 to BD50, or BD25 assuming their is no copy protection on the disc as that would be against the law in the US and breaking that encryption can't be discussed here.

·
Banned
10,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DVDfab is fully capable of copying 3D BD50 to BD50, or BD25 assuming their is no copy protection on the disc as that would be against the law in the US and breaking that encryption can't be discussed here.
Ok, let me be careful about this, because I don't want to break the AVS TOS, and I'm not interested in any encryption hacking. I just buy used movies, and they're not always in the greatest shape, so I'd like to make sure they stick around.

And I'm not planning on ripping this to data, I'm hoping to make an actual physical copy. "DVDfab Blu-Ray Copy" claims to be able to do this. http://www.dvdfab.cn/blu-ray-copy.htm

Are you saying that it won't work on US hardware, or on region A movies, or that it would but be illegal to do so, or are you saying something else?

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
That's the $64'000 question. DVDfab does what it advertises, or did. I can't go into the gory details

·
Banned
10,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sorry, I guess I don't understand.

Have people been infracted or suspended from AVS for talking about this before?

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
I just re read the forum rules and nothing is mentioned about discussions of talk about copying of encrypted DVD's or BR's maybe its just an unwritten rule from the older forum. DVDfab works great but the last time I tried the 30 day free trial it came up with a warning that the material was encrypted and could not continue. Find an older rev 8 version and try it for the 30 day trial and see how it works. Go to the DVDfab forum and read about it there. AnyDVD is another encryption removing software that had a 30 day trial check it out also. Unfortunately you can't make copies with out removing the encryption its just not built into any consumer available hardware. This is where the law is sketchy as it not e legal to backup you disks but it is to break the encryption.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
The problem you will have is Cinevia, which it will not play if it has that encryption, not all have it, but many do. Digital will not have this problem as it's a hardware protection built into the player.

·
Registered
10,965 Posts
Newer Blu-ray players (after January 2012) have Cinavia copy protection built into the hardware. Some Blu-ray discs have Cinavia and some do not. Copies of Cinavia-protected discs won't play on late model players. An error message will pop up. Ripped iso files (created in programs such as DVDFab and AnyDVD) of movies protected by Cinavia will probably play on PCs with PowerDVD (and AnyDVD running), as well as some media players - such as the Mede8er series. The legality of doing this is spelled out in copyright laws. It's a topic that's discussed openly and casually in many AVS threads.

·
Banned
10,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Newer Blu-ray players (after January 2012) have Cinavia copy protection built into the hardware. Some Blu-ray discs have Cinavia and some do not. Copies of Cinavia-protected discs won't play on late model players. An error message will pop up. Ripped iso files (created in programs such as DVDFab and AnyDVD) of movies protected by Cinavia will probably play on PCs with PowerDVD (and AnyDVD running), as well as some media players - such as the Mede8er series. The legality of doing this is spelled out in copyright laws. It's a topic that's discussed openly and casually in many AVS threads.
Yeah, there seems to be Cinavia removal tools available, and at least 1 insists that it doesn't change the audio in any way that you'd notice. Interesting. Definitely more complicated than I was hoping for though.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Unless you make an ISO backup (ie 1:1 sector copy) of a 3D Bluray disc, you will end up with a set of folders/files that occupy twice the original disc space. It is now possible to process those files into a more compact form that should play in many players, but the whole backup process requires tools to firstly remove DRM.

Very few players will handle 3D ISO or compact file backups and if they do, the next gotcha is Cinavia which detects removed DRM and then disables audio if tainted with the Cinavia watermark.

Whilst Cinavia is starting to be worked around, the complexity of this entire process means you have to ask yourself why it's worth it when a 3D Bluray is more easily playable in all 3D Bluray players than tinkering with ripping and processing to be playable on only a limited subset or with compromises.

·
Banned
10,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unless you make an ISO backup (ie 1:1 sector copy) of a 3D Bluray disc, you will end up with a set of folders/files that occupy twice the original disc space. It is now possible to process those files into a more compact form that should play in many players, but the whole backup process requires tools to firstly remove DRM.

Very few players will handle 3D ISO or compact file backups and if they do, the next gotcha is Cinavia which detects removed DRM and then disables audio if tainted with the Cinavia watermark.

Whilst Cinavia is starting to be worked around, the complexity of this entire process means you have to ask yourself why it's worth it when a 3D Bluray is more easily playable in all 3D Bluray players than tinkering with ripping and processing to be playable on only a limited subset or with compromises.
Interesting.

http://www.techspot.com/news/56872-clever-anti-piracy-tech-cinavia-finally-gets-beaten.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts