AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I own a primasonic lens, just wondering how is it best to clean it ?

Can I use alcohol with a soft cloth ?

·
Premium Member
26,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieuk147 /forum/post/19514108

Hi I own a primasonic lens, just wondering how is it best to clean it ?

Can I use alcohol with a soft cloth ?

Using "clean" in the advance search engine (title search only) brought up this two page thread on the topic

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=clean

·
Scott Horton, techht.com
5,748 Posts
Before my good friend Aussie Bob jumps in and explains NASA satellite level cleaning....

Pasted:

...for cleaning high end lenses like the Isco, I recommend to my customers to use Peca formula MC and their cleaning tissues. The Isco's look perfectly clear after cleaning.

http://www.pecaproducts.com/fluid_&_tissue.htm

I sell a LOT of lenses. Occasionally, as part of cheking a lens we accidentally touch one. This stuff cleans it perfectly. And it's not expensive.

·
Banned
793 Posts
I use these, BEMCOT S-2 wipers.

http://www.targray.com/opticalmedia/...-s2-wipes.html

You can get them from clean room suppliers (pretty easy to find, most cities have several). They're not expensive. In Australia they're $15 for a pack of 100, which should last a long time. These are very soft, very low lint clean-room grade wipes with huge oil-absorbent properties even if used dry. Kimberly Clarke make a similar product.

WARNING:

1. DO NOT USE KIMWIPES. THEY ARE ABRASIVE AND FULL OF LINT.

2. DO NOT USE ANY WIPE DRY. ALWAYS HAVE IT WETTED WITH SOLVENT.

3. WET THE WIPE, NOT THE LENS.

The procedure is to first get rid of potentially abrasive dust with air, then pick up dust and grease afterwards in a second stage of cleaning.

First blow off dust and abrasives with low residue canned air (usually available from electronics hobby stores). This may attract some extra dust due to static charge. But the idea of this stage is get rid of grit, not dust.

Roll the wipe into a "cigarette" shape. Drip a small amount of acetone onto the end of it (I use a 50 cent plastic syringe I bought from a pharmacist store). If you want to get really cute, use 40% methanol mixed with 60% acetone - but the methanol has to be low moisture content... a hard ask with anything but lab quality methanol. Problem with methanol is that even low moisture content lab grade stuff will absorb moisture from the atmosphere if you leave an air gap at the top of the bottle. Then you'll get a water residue on your lens, which is not wanted at all.

First wipe around the rim in a smooth motion, don't stop moving the wipe, just gradually exit the lens surface, like you'd exit a feeway, by gradually moving off the edge of the lens, keeping the wipe moving always.

Then take another wipe. Prepare it in the same way with your solvent and start in the middle, spiralling outwards. Exit the surface in the same way.

Take a third wipe, if necessary and clean up any bits you missed by wiping them off. NEVER wipe one area with the same wipe surface that you used to clean another part of the lens. This will only spread the grease. Always use a different part of the wipe to clean a new area.

In all the above take care to always wipe in the same direction, light touch and gentle strokes with follow-through (i.e. don't dab, wipe past the point you want to clean). Don't take all day as acetone and/or methanol evaporate pretty quickly. But don't rush it either.

If the lens is already mounted you'll always leave SOME residue, somewhere. Just make sure it's out of the area where the beam will pass.

·
Scott Horton, techht.com
5,748 Posts
Personally, I'd worry about using an x-tone solvent based cleaner. Worry it would effect the lens coatings. But you know me, details and a worry wart

·
Banned
793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray /forum/post/19530755

Personally, I'd worry about using an x-tone solvent based cleaner. Worry it would effect the lens coatings. But you know me, details and a worry wart

True for the "old days", not true for today.

Lens makers use acetone to clean their lenses. Detergent-based cleaning solutions leave residues.

Alcohol-based leave water residues, unless very cafefully stored in air-free bottles. If you need to use alcohol, you should decant the container into smaller ones and use each smaller one only once.

Forget gimmicky things like "foaming anti-static" lens cleaners, either solutions or doped brushes. They don't work. They deposit more scum and/or dust back onto the lens than they take off. (Good for cleaning windows and PC screens, though).

To get things real clean I use CO2 ice, but that's another story... not for the faint-hearted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts