AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a lot of neat intros like at the movies. How is the best way to handle the setup of this? Obviously you don't want to have to put in a disk, watch the intro, then put in another disk. How is this handled smoothly. Get a cheap Walmart DVD player? But then how do you change it from player 1 to 2. I don't plan to get into a media PC at this point.

How has anyone else done this?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mickey

·
Registered
9,617 Posts
Don't know if you're using a front projector or a tv, but going with a cheapo second dvd player should work. After the intro is over, either switch the tv input from video 1 to video 2 or if you are using a receiver to do video switching, go from say aux to dvd.

Wouldn't be a hassle at all, but might seem kind of cheap. Less cheap than popping out a disk and putting in the movie though.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Intros?

Are you talking about the trivia and commercials they show while you wait for the movie to start? In the theater they either use a slide projector or a cheap digital projector connected to a DVD player. Not a possibility at home unless you are using front projection.

Maybe I don't understand what you are trying to do though. Can you be more specific?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Its a real Easy thing if you use an HTPC and it can be conected to any kind of tv or projection. ZOOM Player supports this and you can find great info on the HTPC forum and at Zooms site.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyKelley
I have seen a lot of neat intros like at the movies. How is the best way to handle the setup of this? Obviously you don't want to have to put in a disk, watch the intro, then put in another disk. How is this handled smoothly. Get a cheap Walmart DVD player? But then how do you change it from player 1 to 2. I don't plan to get into a media PC at this point.

How has anyone else done this?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mickey
I just use a $29 player hooked up to another input as described. What's nice is that while your intro is playing, you miss the growing legion of non-defeatable commercials that infect more and more discs on your main player. Intro finished, use the remote to switch to the main DVD input. Regards,

John

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
John thats a great idea. And I use that for our TV room setup.

If u hate the commercials as much as the rest of us thats where I found an HTPC to be so great, if I play a ripped movie I can skip that by going directly to the main menu or by just not ripping that part and doing the movie only. If someone doesnot want to have huge hard drive space they could just rip the movie a day before and have it ready.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
BTW you can get a lot of intros here .

/OT: Those commercials at the start of discs are really getting out of hand. On most of mine, you can't chapter-skip or go direct to menu when they're on. But some are so persistent that you can't even fast-forward through them. And one I just got (The Sixth Sense) you can't even STOP your player, for cryin' out loud!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirknelson
Intros?

Are you talking about the trivia and commercials they show while you wait for the movie to start? In the theater they either use a slide projector or a cheap digital projector connected to a DVD player. Not a possibility at home unless you are using front projection.

Maybe I don't understand what you are trying to do though. Can you be more specific?
No I am not talking about the trivia or commercials. I see enought of that cr#%$p on the disks. I am talking about the cool intro of the flying space ship thru a city, pop-corn, etc. Mainly wanting to find something cool and what will show off the 5.1 surround system. I have found some already but now looking for best way to implement it seamlessly. Thanks.

Mickey

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraoch
BTW you can get a lot of intros here .

/OT: Those commercials at the start of discs are really getting out of hand. On most of mine, you can't chapter-skip or go direct to menu when they're on. But some are so persistent that you can't even fast-forward through them. And one I just got (The Sixth Sense) you can't even STOP your player, for cryin' out loud!

Thats right, and is why I went HTPC for most of my stuff. There are some great set top DVD units out there but I hate having the disc control me instead of me it.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyKelley
No I am not talking about the trivia or commercials. I see enought of that cr#%$p on the disks. I am talking about the cool intro of the flying space ship thru a city, pop-corn, etc. Mainly wanting to find something cool and what will show off the 5.1 surround system. I have found some already but now looking for best way to implement it seamlessly. Thanks.

Mickey

Well either edit them on a PC or have someone do it for you( one of the AVS Members here does that u could find him in the HTPC or builders forum I think) and use a second player or use an HTPC and something like Zoom Player.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Too bad you don't want to go with a HTPC.

I run Zoom Player with the trailer feature. I run a theatre intro, a couple of movie trailers, dolby/DTS clip and feature presentation. Then the movie starts skipping all the menus, fbi warnings. It even auto selects DTS if the disc has it.

It really adds to the cinema feel little stuff like trailers before the movie.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.