Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have the InFocus X1 and have my HDTV tuner (Zenith HD420) hooked to it via the VGA port. I have a question in regards to hooking a DVD player to the projector...

From reading Technut's X1 FAQ (thanks Technut, it rocks!) I know that the S-video port has two additional pins that allow it to carry true component signals (but only in 480i?).

My question is this - how should I hook the DVD player up to get the best picture quality? If I have a progressive DVD player and hook it up through the InFocus adapter with component cables, will it broadcast in progressive and will the quality be better than a normal s-video? Or am I better off saving the time and money and just running an S-Video cable?

If it makes any difference, the run is around 35' from my DVD to the PJ.

Thanks!

Straw

·
Registered
807 Posts
if you want to run a progressive signal into the X1 it too will need to use the VGA port ... some have used a KVM switch. I use Svid from my panasonic SP30 ... and I love the picture; I may get a better picture using VGA but the Svid picture is very good and the difference not enough to nudge me into buying a long VGA cable.

I use 1 svid cable from my HT receiver to the X1 and treat the receiver as my switch-box. try Svid using a shorter cable and see if you like it. the X1's deinterlacer might be better than that in your DVD player.

Mark

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also have my HD DirecTV receiver running component to VGA connector on my X1 then use the Svid connection for my Sony DVD player. All the connections are direct from the source to the projector. I do not use my receiver as a switcher.

The Svid connection from the DVD player to the X1 produces a GREAT picture. No problems what-so-ever. I doubt a component connection from the DVD player to the X1 would be any better. The Faroudja chip is great for deinterlacing and is probably better than the one in my Sony DVD player.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was running my DVD in 560p into the VGA input, but found there was no Faroudja processing through that port.

I now use 480i via component through the Svideo adapter which is noticeably better than direct Svideo or VGA. My run is 20ft.

I am now feeding my digital 1080i STB into the VGA and love it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.