AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Wow! They actually know what they are talking about and make a decent HTPC. Powerstrip, Radeons, M-Audio cards are all in there. Very good read if you're looking for some information. Definite FAQ material.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Glad I caught this post. I added it to the test HTPC Meta FAQ in the Test Posting Area (follow link at bottom of HTPC Meta FAQ in HTPC forum).

Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
58 Posts
hmm,

yeah put the reference in the FAQ since that is probably where the info came from in the first place. :)

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Some minus points, however...
Quote:
A good Athlon system based on Nforce or later VIA hardware would fare just as well.
VIA chipsets aren't all that HTPC-friendly
Quote:
At a minimum, you want a display capable of handling 800x600 resolution.
Hello?! 1080i/540p HDTVs!
Quote:
CPU performance is not necessarily at the top of the list of priorities.
I guess they haven't necessarily heard of dscaler.

No mention of the Pronto remote control or Girder?

Still, a notch or two better than most attempts at HTPC articles....

·
Registered
493 Posts
Good comments, Wayne. I paraphrased and added them to the Meta FAQ (test version). Let me know if that's not ok.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
An nForce isn't Via based and they have a reputation for being quite stable (thats what my HTPC is.) As far as Via goes, I think a caveat instead of a "KEEP AWAY!" is better. I've had a Via chipset motherboard with SB Live and it has worked fine. Intel might be a better choice, but if someone has a reason to go with Via, they aren't awful.

Quote:
Originally posted by Karnis
Some minus points, however...

VIA chipsets aren't all that HTPC-friendly

Hello?! 1080i/540p HDTVs!

I guess they haven't necessarily heard of dscaler.

No mention of the Pronto remote control or Girder?

Still, a notch or two better than most attempts at HTPC articles....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice comments from everyone. I might suggest that some of them be added to the extremetech.com forum, to better educate the readers of that website. I'd feel a little presumptious doing it myself, as I'm still a relative newcomer. Still, if no one else posts there, I'll wait a few days, collect the main comments from here and post them at extremetech.

Andrew

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Namlemez
An nForce isn't Via based and they have a reputation for being quite stable (thats what my HTPC is.) As far as Via goes, I think a caveat instead of a "KEEP AWAY!" is better. I've had a Via chipset motherboard with SB Live and it has worked fine. Intel might be a better choice, but if someone has a reason to go with Via, they aren't awful.

I know the nForce isn't VIA based, I should've snipped a little better. :)

Caveat would be better as well, re: M-Audio cards.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I've added this to our FAQ, so help me get it right. Is this accurate?

Caveat Extremetech HTPC article has some oversights:

VIA chipsets don't work well with M-Audio cards.

Minimum display is 1080i/540p HDTV, not 800x600.

CPU performance is a priority if running dScaler (which wasn't mentioned).

Remote control via Pronto or Girder.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Andrewswright:

___They missed the boat in a number of areas …
Quote:
It's probably true that a $1500 PC can't beat a dedicated scaler that costs $30K—
___As a matter of fact, most of the expensive scalers won’t do a custom refresh other than 60 Hz. and many former Faroudja users swear by a Radeon based HTPC over those over priced monsters in particular.
Quote:
The cool thing about video cards is that you can set them up to run at any arbitrary resolution
___He missed the custom refresh and custom T&R setup completely when using Powerstrip here.
Quote:
Any reasonably decent CPU will work, and it doesn't much matter whether it's AMD or Intel … please bear in mind that was more a factor of what we had available. A good Athlon system based on Nforce or later VIA hardware would fare just as well
___This guy never built an HTPC from the HW he has recommended obviously.
Quote:
At a minimum, you'll need the equivalent of about a 1GHz Pentium III. You can get by with less performance, but you probably won't be able to run at better than DVD resolution, and HDTV may be out of the question. So we recommend, at a minimum, an Athlon XP 1600+ or an Intel Pentium 4 1.6A
___Do we even have to discuss the shortcomings in this statement?
Quote:
You also don't need a raft of PCI slots
___This is a very limiting statement with a misstep if you want to add a higher quality Capture card for DScaler use, NIC if your is not included in your MATX board, HDTV card, M-Audio card … I just named 4 and that is using a minimalist approach with today’s latest and greatest HW. Who knows what we will add next week but the Leadtek NTSC digital capture board comes to mind as just another possible card/solution. PSU’s and CPU Coolers are off the mark obviously.
Quote:
Both the Radeon 7500 and 8500 products …
___I guess he did not know about the problem with the 8500’s although this problem will hopefully go away very soon.
Quote:
This brings up the issue of storage interfaces. If you do choose the Maxtor D540X for its capacity, you'll need to also get an ATA133 PCI card, since most motherboards don't support the 48-bit addressing needed to make full use of the Maxtor drive's capacity.
___Has this guy ever used an Asus CUSL2 with the 1012 bios? 48-bit addressing native directly and that board is over a year and a half old already.

___This guy needs to use the HW he has discussed or at least needs to visit the AVScience forums for a bit of an education but this is just my opinion ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have the newest VIA KT266A chipset, and DVD is chopping along using WinXP! What is the matter with these guys! I mean, my 266Mhz portable computer plays DVDs without chopping!

If anyone knows if there are any trics to fix this LOOOONG time bug, I would be VERY appreciative!

·
Registered
317 Posts
i had that same choppy problem. go to Control Panel and go to IDE Controller & Maker sure UDMA is enabled. fixed my prob

·
Registered
53 Posts
Happen to get an Athlon 1.4 G CPU, still trying to decide what mobo to get, of course I prefer VIA KT333 because of variety of choice to choose from, or even the obsolete 266A. Well sometime this year, or next year, will pprobaly upgrade to K8 with serial ATA etc. Please help, which VIA mobo do u have?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is a copy of my post on the extremetech forum:

First, I'd like to commend Lloyd Case on a nice overview of some of the issues surrounding the design and construction of a home theater PC. I'm looking forward to the next article in the series.

As mentioned previously, avsforum is a great resource for anyone interested in HTPC issues. The Meta FAQ is a nice place to start (Lloyd may be gratified to know that his article has been added to the Meta FAQ already). There is a thread discussing the extremetech article at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ht=extremetech

A few comments gleaned from the discussion at avsforum (note:these are not necessarily my views or opinions:

Via chipsets have had some issues in HTPC use, although some people use them with no problems.

While 800x600 resolution is ok for standard def TV tuners, 1080i or 540p is better for HDTV or scaled DVD.

While CPU performance isn't of paramount importance, an adequate CPU is needed for video scaling using a program such as Dscaler. A HTPC can be as good as or better than a dedicated multi-thousand dollar scaler.

Remote control of a HTPC can be obtained using Girder (or other) software with remote controls such as the Philips Pronto.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got a HTPC question. All of the divx movies I have seen have the black bars on the top and bottoms. If you were to play these movies on one of thoose wide screen tv's would you then have black bars on the sides also? Or would there be no black bars and the movie filling the entire tv? I guess I'm asking if the black bars are actually part of the move when it was encoded or if computer monitors add them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.