AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is a digest from previous posts from several AVS forums coupled with my personal evaluation of current models from Pio, Fujitsu, and Panny.

I'm a bargain hunter so for me price has to be an issue.

1. Wait for a 20% off Dell peripherals coupon to purchas a Pio 503CMX. ( www.gotapex.com is a good src for this info)

2. Use an American Express credit card as it has been reported here that the 15% restocking fee may be waived/refunded. (this protects against bad pixels)

3. Forego any scaler until you've evaluated the unit without. (might save you a bundle)

4. If you must have the ultimate, go with Leeza with DVI and SDI DVD player. (AVS has had great deals on B-stock Leeza's)

5. HTPC with DVI is an option to #4 for some.

Even if you go all the way to #4 you'll still have spent less than just the panel at your local boutique.

Ken

· Premium Member
429 Posts
Have there been 20% off Dell Home Peripherals recently? I've seen some 20% off the small business section, but they charge sales tax in CA, which pretty much negates the benefit over the 10% off ongoing coupons for Home.

EBates also gives 2% off Home, and I have an American Express card that gives 1.5% cashback. (double in May..hmm.)

Alex

· Registered
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can get a 15% off coupon right now if you signup for their email newsletter. There's also another $100 off on purchases over $1k.

If you use your Amex card (platinum anyway) you get 90 day theft/loss/accident insurance and extended mfg. warranty thrown in NAC.

Ken

· Registered
59 Posts
Has anyone tried to use the AMEX price guarantee for a plasma purchase? In that way one could buy it from Dell, save on the tax and delivery, and use another cheaper on-line reference to submit a claim.

I recently bought a digital camera with my AMEX and when I found it advertised for $200 less, I submitted a claim to AMEX and they refunded the difference. I don't know whether there is a limit to how much they'll guarantee.

· Premium Member
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KenLand
You can get a 15% off coupon right now if you signup for their email newsletter. There's also another $100 off on purchases over $1k.

If you use your Amex card (platinum anyway) you get 90 day theft/loss/accident insurance and extended mfg. warranty thrown in NAC.
As always, check your terms. Mine (Platinum Cash Rebate) has the extended warranty and 90 day theft/accident (not loss) insurance up to $1000 per occurrence -- not so useful for plasmas. The March '02 benefits update says that it's $10,000 per occurrence for only "Platinum Card and Centurion Card members". I'm pretty sure that means only the "real" (non-Optima) Platinum Card owners ($300-$400/year), and IIRC, Centurion is the super-special "black" AmEx card. If you have one of those, kudos to you. ;)

Also, I'm pretty sure that AmEx discontinued the price protection for Blue cards. I hear it still exists for some corporate cards, but I'm not sure which.

Alex

· Registered
3,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I imagine a lot of folks who are eligible for plasma purchase have a Platinum or equivalent?

$10k merchandise insurance, $500k travel ins., rental car ins., 50% off airline tickets, flyer points - its a pretty good deal if you use the benefits.

Ken

· Registered
195 Posts
Just to quickly comment on Ken's point #3 - I'm in full agreement! Get the panel first, check it out with your sources, and wait a week or two before you jump into the scaler decision. It could save you a lot of money.

I should know - I'm in the middle of trying to get my NRS returned. It created more problems than it fixed, and viewing both SAT and DVD sources is better, for a variety of reasons, without it than with it.

Just a word to the wise...

Rich

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.