AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a new Sony KDS60A2000 (SXRD projection). I used my Avia disc and filters that I've had several years to get a pretty good calibration from the DVD player (I've got an older model Pioneer Elite) using component cables.

I realize that the calibration is really only for that particular input to the TV from the DVD player. I've got an HR10-250 (HD Tivo/Directv) using the HDMI cable to the TV. Are there any good suggestions on how to calibrate this particular input? I don't plan on buying a new DVD player with HDMI yet - waiting til later this year to see if HD or BR seems to take a lead and to let the prices drop considerably.

What is the best calibration I can get for the HDMI input? Is it to copy the settings I came up with from the DVD player to the settings for the HDMI input? or is there something fundamentally wrong with that theory?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Settings for 480 tend not to hold up when applied to HD signals. Things like brightness, color, tint ... and color decoder stuff may not carry over.

The HD NET morning test pattern would be a start ...

Regards

·
Banned
889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV /forum/post/0

Greetings

Settings for 480 tend not to hold up when applied to HD signals. Things like brightness, color, tint ... and color decoder stuff may not carry over.

The HD NET morning test pattern would be a start ...

Regards

IF ONE COULD FIND IT!!!!!

I tore that HDNet website from top to bottom and there is no schedule listing or any description of any such patterns.

Guess one would have to have HDNet and actually see it to know when it is on.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I just scanned my program guide which is 14+ days and the "HDNET Test Patterns" don't show up
they used to be broadcast every tuesday morning around 4am. The last one I captured was from Oct 10th on my DirecTV DVR.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith /forum/post/0

I just scanned my program guide which is 14+ days and the "HDNET Test Patterns" don't show up
they used to be broadcast every tuesday morning around 4am. The last one I captured was from Oct 10th on my DirecTV DVR.

I understand they are going to be shown again Sunday (1/28) morning for ten minutes starting at 6:50AM EST. It's not in the schedule. My recorder is set and I'm patiently waiting.

·
Banned
889 Posts
Test patterns on TV of any definition are as old as the hills. What is killing it is round-the-clock world-wide programming. There just aren't slots available to run SMPTE, PLUGE and other patterns for any appreciable length of time or regularity.

And for the GTVP, this is a sad thing, because most of them don't a clue which controls do what to their picture.

·
Registered
21 Posts
GDN,

Find your INHD channel on your listing guide and look for a show called "tune up". It should be on Sunday morning's at 7am EST. The test patterns are by no means comprehensive, but they aren't "old as the hills" either. If you can find it, toss it on your DVR and use it as a first pass calibration test. I just "discovered" it myself from reading these boards and found the program usefull.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately Directv doesn't carry the INHD channel. I'll try to catch the pattern that HDNet broadcasts. I recorded this 2 years ago when I had my Sony XBR tube. I'll try to record it again - its barely a start compared to what most of the DVD's offer - but I know it is more than I have right now - so I'll give it a shot.

Let me ask this question for future reference. I know that any calibration you do produces the best results for only the device you have connected to the input at that time. If I had I an Oppo DVD player or one that would output HDMI at 1080I or so - how close would it be to calibrate the input that I use for the HD DVR with that device - then unplug the device and plug the HD DVR back in. That would be about as good as it gets right?

I'm fairly confident in my abilities to get a pretty good picture - and I think through most of these things to come up with a solution - I just want to make sure I'm not missing something here.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Here is a link to the HDNET test patterns schedule :

TEST PATTERNS

Looks like HDNET moved them to Sundays.

·
Registered
21 Posts
GDN,

why did you get rid of your xbr tube? I'm not getting rid of my 34xbr-960 until it breaks, breaks my TV stand or broadcast goes 1080p

Anyways, to your question about using your oppo to calibrate the input connection that you normally use for your cablebox. Unfortunately, as you stated, the calibration is only good for the input, connection, TV combination you used to do it. My suggestion would be use the oppo and a calibration DVD to get it close, use the HDNET test patterns next get it closer and then go by person pref. Obviously, the oppo and your cablebox are using all sorts of different chips, electronics, source information (HD vs SD), etc to generate a signal to send to your TV, they will never be apples to apples.

If nothing else try to use different mode presets to save settings that you think look good for different types of viewing activites (daytime movie, nighttime movie, sports, reg TV, etc) and then just sit back and enjoy

A final side note, I posted this question on a similar thread. Can any of today's STB record a signal coming from something besides the cable company? ie record a dvd playing a calibration disk on to its DVR and then have the DVR send the signal to the TV?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.