AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new to projectors. Bought an Epson 2000 since I'm sensitive to the rainbows produced by the Benq W1070. Aside from the high level of noise (in eco mode with auto iris off), I'm not pleased with the picture quality: overall sharpness and especially skin tones (very "orangey"). I'm using the default settings, zoom is maximum and focused to the best of my ability. The projector is on a coffee table in a dark room. There are many settings to tweak on this thing, but I don't know where to even start. Can anyone (especially someone with this projector) recommend a strategy for tweaking this thing?

Thank you!

rhz

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Sorry I can't help you. Mine is set to eco and natural with only a slight adjustment to sharpness and brightness to account for 2600 plus hours on the lamp. As to the zoom, maxing it out never looked good on my lcd or dlp projectors. How big is your image and how close are you sitting? Depending on the show/movie, I do switch from cinema to natural from time to time if the color looks off.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks...

Sorry I can't help you. Mine is set to eco and natural with only a slight adjustment to sharpness and brightness to account for 2600 plus hours on the lamp. As to the zoom, maxing it out never looked good on my lcd or dlp projectors. How big is your image and how close are you sitting? Depending on the show/movie, I do switch from cinema to natural from time to time if the color looks off.
Thanks for your response.
I'm sitting around 7.5 ft from an ~80inch diagonal image. I think I have it set to living room. I can look again with less zoom, but I don't think I noticed a significant improvement as the zoom was reduced.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Hi,

I am new to projectors. Bought an Epson 2000 since I'm sensitive to the rainbows produced by the Benq W1070. Aside from the high level of noise (in eco mode with auto iris off), I'm not pleased with the picture quality: overall sharpness and especially skin tones (very "orangey"). I'm using the default settings, zoom is maximum and focused to the best of my ability. The projector is on a coffee table in a dark room. There are many settings to tweak on this thing, but I don't know where to even start. Can anyone (especially someone with this projector) recommend a strategy for tweaking this thing?

Thank you!

rhz

You need equipment to calibrate. Soooooo.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Before you throw in the towel, make sure your projector is set to Fine (not fast) in the signal section and try natural verses living room (which makes my colors look like crap as well). In a dark room you should use natural or cinema to reduce the light output. It should reduce the fan speed as well.

The bottom line is if you are expecting a TV quality sharpness/blacks/contrast from the Epson, you will be disappointed. In my case I trade off a little quality (my 70 inch Sharp) for size (Epson with a 169inch image), but I am able to sit at a distance and the pixel structure doesn't impact my viewing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Before you throw in the towel, make sure your projector is set to Fine (not fast) in the signal section and try natural verses living room (which makes my colors look like crap as well). In a dark room you should use natural or cinema to reduce the light output. It should reduce the fan speed as well.

The bottom line is if you are expecting a TV quality sharpness/blacks/contrast from the Epson, you will be disappointed. In my case I trade off a little quality (my 70 inch Sharp) for size (Epson with a 169inch image), but I am able to sit at a distance and the pixel structure doesn't impact my viewing.
Thanks for the insight. I'll try out your suggestions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts