AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 50HP16 Toshiba Plasma and I recently put my Xbox 360 on the VGA input. The colors looked very washed out so I bought an AVIA DVD to calibrate the white level, black level and the RGB settings.

Ive successfully set the brightness/contrast to my liking, but now I'm trying to figure out the best way to set the individual R,G,B settings that the VGA input allows me to change. If I use the "Blue Color Bars" chart and look through a blue filter, changing the R,G or B levels seems to have negligible impact (I don't see any flashing boxes.) This is also true if I use the "Green Bars" or "Red Bars" charts looking through their respective color filter.

I guess what I'm also asking in addition to how best to calibrate RGB is what exactly am I changing when I fiddle with the R,G or B settings? It appears not to be hue or saturation based upon the "Blue Bars" test, perhaps this is changing how the TV does color decoding? Ive tried the color decoding chart and I do see changes in where the 0-point is when I move the RGB settings but it's pretty minimal. For most of the colors, I feel in order to get to the 0-point I need to be able to go above the max of 50 for the RGB settings that the TV allows. Ive gone into the service menu and I notice there are options for R Drive(N), G Drive(N) and B Drive(N). I didn't want to change any of these without consulting experts on this forum first as "drive" leads me to believe this is going to mess with voltages, which set correctly could do permanent damage to my TV. Any help and insight on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

· Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
I guess what I'm also asking in addition to how best to calibrate RGB is what exactly am I changing when I fiddle with the R,G or B settings? It appears not to be hue or saturation based upon the "Blue Bars" test, perhaps this is changing how the TV does color decoding?

That is correct. You do not use colorbar patterns with R,G,B gain and offsets. RGB controls are used to adjust greyscale, so you need to look at gray fields or windows and adjust to adjust the greyscale. This is very difficult to do with much precision by eye and generally requires colorimetry equipment. This is unrelated to color decoding.

Colorbars are used to adjust color saturation and color balance. If you are feeding your display RGB, then it is unlikely that you will have access to these controls as luma/chroma components do not exist in an RGB domain as they have already been decoded into RGB. If you need to adjust these parameters, you will need to move back in the signal chain to before it's being decoded into RGB. If you look at the colorbars and they are accurate, then you don't need to try to access these adjustments though...

· Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that makes alot more sense and explains why I don't have Saturation/Hue menu controls on the VGA input like I do in the component input. As you mentioned, it is hard to discern the grayscale changes by eye (especially of the untrained variety) I will leave the RGB settings at their default level of 25 out of 50.

Any idea on what the R/G/B Drive(N) settings do? I can't find info on these anywhere. I don't intend to change these but I am curios to know what they are/do. Thanks.

· Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So would a TV with "red push" show a gain for the R Drive(N) setting higher than its Blue or Green counterparts?

· Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegeX /forum/post/0

So would a TV with "red push" show a gain for the R Drive(N) setting higher than its Blue or Green counterparts?

No, not at all. Red push is a color decoder error. You never attempt to correct for color decoding error by using greyscale controls. They are distinct. You only mess with the greyscale controls for grayscale issues(color temperature for grays/whites).

· Registered
167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegeX /forum/post/0

I have a 50HP16 Toshiba Plasma and I recently put my Xbox 360 on the VGA input. The colors looked very washed out so I bought an AVIA DVD to calibrate the white level, black level and the RGB settings.

You could try SpyderTV Pro from ColorVision though it is a little pricey:

http://www.colorvision.com/product-pu-stv2stvp.php

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.