AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I am using a Parkland plastic screen, 80 x 60, hanging in front of 2 windows.

I bought a Dalite tripod screen that has never been used. I have removed the legs and the slider from the screen and its holder (not sure what else to call it). Now I am trying to determine how in world I can ceiling mount this thing.

Any ideas?

patrick

·
Registered
807 Posts
You are looking for brackets to attach to the wall that will support the case and then use it like a pull down. Is that right? If yes then a couple of things might work. THe most trouble would be to see if you can take the case apart and then drill a few holes through to mount some hardware that could then be used to attach the case to the ceiling. Dalite has a lot of special brackets and stuff so they may have something on their web site that could be attached to a wall or ceiling and then used to cradle either end of the case. I think a trip to home depot might be in order to get some hardware ideas.

·
Registered
807 Posts
One more. If the case is metal you could get somebody to weld a couple of eye bolts to the top of the case. Depends on the type and stength of the metal and how skillfull the welder is.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've tried this and found that it does NOT work. The springs in the Dalite tripod mount case are meant to retract the screen after it has been opened UP. They are not strong enough to work against gravity, as is necessary when rerolling a ceiling mounted screen which has been pulled DOWN.

I wound up remounting it on a pair of brackets low on the wall, and pulling it upwards to a hook near the ceiling. I tried this when initially evaluating the hipower material (I needed a portable screen, anyway.) I've since replaced it with a model C, and reassembled the tripod.

I took the screen out of the case, in order to try attaching hooks (to the case). Had a hell of a time reassembling it with proper spring tension. Beware! You'd be better off epoxying a pair of angle brackets to the outside of the case.

If you never plan to roll up your screen, however, it will work fine hung from the ceiling.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the responses. Yes, a trip to Lowes (don't like Home Depot) is in order.

I do not think I can take the case apart and the successfully put it back together.

I plan on pulling it done from the ceiling, so I know I will have to have a hook of some sort to keep is down.

I think my plan now is to build some sort of wood "box" around the case, then mount the "box" to the ceiling.

Wish me luck.

patrick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.