AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Samsung SIR-T165 firewire menu, my HM-DH30000U is showing up with a label of "DVHS2". I had assumed this meant that at some point the T165 had seen another DVHS recorder (behind my back!) and therefore put my 30000U as the second DVHS recorder in its table.

Is this assumption correct? If so, is there a way to set this back to "DVHS1"? In other words I would like to reset the T165's firewire table the same way the 30000U allows an I-Link reset (which set the T165 to I-1). I would like to avoid a situation where if I were to add another 30000U I'd now see DVHS3 to describe VCR 2.

I've talked with Samsung customer service. It may come as a shock but they had no clue what I was talking about. Their suggestions ranged from plugging the 1394 cable into the other port to changing the switch position on the back of the 30000U (there is no switch on the back of the 30000U that I can find).

So rather than hear more Samsung guesses I thought I'd check with the experts. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I asked this same question in the HDTV hardware forum

under the thread "Hard reset of Samsung T165". No

replies.

I tried pressing other buttons while pressing the power-

on switch (this is how other devices like DVD players

often perform a reset), but no luck.

The T165 also does some funny stuff on the 1394 bus. It

has a hard time with bus analyzers and other nodes that

don't respond to Config ROM requests. Basically, it

tries to read the Config ROM of non-responding nodes

forever (infinite retries). Although this doesn't affect

normal operation, it's a bit goofy.

Anyways, if you discover the magic reset recipe, please

post.

Ron

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
Try disconnecting the power to both the JVC and 165 for about fifteen seconds, then reconnect. Then turn on both units. Then go into the JVC menu and reset the I-Link connection. Now try it, and I bet it will be fine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried your suggestion and it didn't seem to change anything. Let me run through the steps I used and maybe you'll see what I did wrong...

1) Unplugged both the T165 and the 30000U.

2) Let sit unplugged for over 15 seconds (probably in the neighborhood of 20 seconds).

3) Simultaneously plugged in the T165 and the 30000U

4) Powered on the T165 followed within a second by the 30000U

5) Went into the 30000U's menu system and performed an I-Link number reset.

6) Looked at the T165's firewire menu and still had "DVHS2" as the T165's label for the 30000U.

7) Changed from F-1 to I-1 on the 30000U and again did a I-Link number reset.

8) Looked at the T165's firewire menu and still had "DVHS2" as the T165's label for the 30000U.

9) Wrote this append to the forum.

I guess I don't understand why a 30000U reset would cause the T165 to change it's designation? I would have thought the T165 would have to do that since otherwise any device could cause the T165's table to erase.

Thanks for the attempt. I hope you may have some more suggestions or see something I did incorrectly.

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
I don't understand why the Samsung 165 designates your only D-VHS deck as #2!!! WEIRD. But does it work ok, can you record from the 165 via the JVC anyway, even though its #2 and not #1???

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, the 1394 data transfers between the 165 and 30000U occur as expected. I'm just not looking forward to the day when I add a second 30000U and have VCR1 show up as DVHS2 and VCR2 show up as DVHS3, which is what I suspect will happen.

I talked with Samsung again and they are researching the issue. At least the person I talked with knew what a 1394 bus was (she had a camcorder with I-Link).

·
Registered
739 Posts
Andrew,

Did you connect the 165 to another firewire device before you did the JVC?

Based upon Ron's messages, the 165 "remembers" these connects. That still does not answer the question you asked however.

Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.