AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to this http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/home-...r.html?start=4

fine chroma detail is lost due to 8-bit to 10-bit conversion when

running HDMI video through the Onkyo PR-SC5508 unless turning off the video processing completely.

I got an Onkyo TX-NR3008 which I think has the same video processor, is there a way to check if it has the same issues with bit-depth and loss of chroma data?

With the 'Spears & Munsil High Definition Benchmark Blu-ray Edition' perhaps?

Or do you need an HDMI analyzer?

·
Registered
11,518 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
The only way to be 110% sure is to simply Bypass the Sound processor(Onk/Denon) completely

Blu Players with Dual HDMI out's are A great idea because they allow Audio to be past to Sound Processor & video kept away thus Direct to VP & or Display Device..

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
As the other posters have said, Spears and Munsil is what I used to check for that, and once you have seen the correct results it's easy to determine if it is working or not.

However, you should make sure you test it on your display first, from the Blu-ray player, in all colorspaces that the Blu-ray player can do. Some displays only show the fine chroma detail on an RGB signal (I'm looking at you, Samsung) and lose it with 4:2:2 and 4:4:4, and some processors/receivers only lose it on certain colorspaces as well. They are both probably doing a colorspace conversion incorrectly, but you need to know what your display can do before you can assume it's the processor that is making it lose the resolution.

Potentially, you could have a display that doesn't do 4:4:4 correctly, and a player that only outputs 4:4:4 (Vizio, Pioneer, Toshiba) and then you won't see the fine chroma detail no matter what processor you have in the middle.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Oh, and for bit depth, my Marantz AV7005 processor has a nice HDMI Information page that tells me what colorspace is being input and what is being output over HDMI. It's very useful with these component that come in so I can tell that something like the Onkyo is taking 8-bit 4:2:2 and putting out 10-bit 4:4:4, for example. Or with the myriad of Blu-ray players that refuse to tell you what they are outputting anywhere in the menu, or say 'YCbCr' but not if it is 4:2:2 or 4:4:4. Most likely they are trying to avoid confusion with customers, but it drives me crazy.

·
Registered
11,518 Posts
 Secrets of Home Theater & High Fidelity during the bluray players testing they are using a Reference Quantum Data HDMI Analyzer, measuring with actual values the output of every player using different Color Space Output Options and comparing them to those that were encoded on the disc.

They are using multiple intensities of the primary colors (R, G, B) or the YCbCr components (Y, Cb, Cr) and compare those to their reference values. They look at 0%, 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% amplitude levels for each to see how they compare.

The Following Results are from the latest Benchmarks of some consumer Blu-Ray Players:

I'm curious how PS3 performs to these tests, because that Sony BDP-S580 had the largest dE to its Output., Terrible Performance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
We've run the numbers on a PS3 (both original model and slim model) but haven't finished the analysis yet, or writing it up. It's highly unlikely I'll get much further on them in the next week or two with CEDIA coming up and my helping to cover the show there. Players that were tested that have reviews coming up have priority over the PS3 but it will get done as soon as there is the time.

·
Registered
11,518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit /forum/post/20898587

We've run the numbers on a PS3 (both original model and slim model) but haven't finished the analysis yet, or writing it up. It's highly unlikely I'll get much further on them in the next week or two with CEDIA coming up and my helping to cover the show there. Players that were tested that have reviews coming up have priority over the PS3 but it will get done as soon as there is the time.

CNET uses PS3 as reference standard for HDTV's.

We will soon be able to see how it actually performs thanks to Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity Very Interesting Tests.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit /forum/post/20898468

Oh, and for bit depth, my Marantz AV7005 processor has a nice HDMI Information page that tells me what colorspace is being input and what is being output over HDMI.

Well, my Onkyo also displays bit depth and it is telling me it is outputting 8-bit (x3 = 24bit) which I why I am wondering about the 10-bit result.

This is the output I get from the Onkyo when I watch a blu-ray with my BDP-83: (press Home, arrow down to Info and arrow down to Video)
[Video] Blu-ray
Input : HDMI 1
1920x1080p 24hz YCbCr24bit
Output : HDMI Main
1920x1080p 24hz YCbCr24bit
Custom

Too bad my TV doesn't display what it gets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.