AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me that every movie is filmed at different sizes...

so how do I choose what size screen to use ??

does anyone use an "adjustable screen" or whatnot ??

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn /forum/post/12949299

You are right they are all over the map although there are some common aspect ratios that are repeated frequently. The best solution IMO is a masking system.

Art

what is this "masking" system you speak of ??

do you set up movable black frames for different aspect ratios??

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn /forum/post/12951246

Using a scaler with memories you set up aspect ratios and then the screen masks the edges.

Art

my PJ can letterbox and stuff to fill my screen....but shouldn't the movie be watched in the original format ??

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by illnastyimpreza /forum/post/12952098

my PJ can letterbox and stuff to fill my screen....but shouldn't the movie be watched in the original format ??

That is what Art was talking about - side masking the smaller ARs...

Mark

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Well ideally the movie should be watched in the original format...but there are many of them being used.

Typically the newest displays are 16:9 native. When watching 4:3, they put bars on each side. When watching 2.35:1, they put top and bottom bars. Obviously 16:9 stuff is displayed on the full panel.

Now ultimately since there are so many ratios, one has to figure out what they watch most...in many cases that is 2.35:1 (or similar). Regardless of what you choose, there will be changes to be made based on the movie.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by illnastyimpreza /forum/post/12945890

so how do I choose what size screen to use ??

I take a tape measure, measure from one wall to the other, and that's how wide I try to make my screen

Oh, you're talking about how to pick an aspect ratio...

In that case, it really comes down to several things:

What AR do you watch the most?

What AR do feel is most important to display "correctly"?

If you look through this subforum, you'll find that most here are of the mindset that width is the dimension that should be varied, that wide aspect ratios are chosen (by the creator) to create a larger, more enveloping experience, and that CIH is the only way to go (ie a 2.35:1 screen).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts