AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been actually toying with the idea of getting a DVD recorder of some flavor as a means for archiving all my VHS stuff that I haven't yet replaced with DVD or tossed out and copying the ocassional program from my stand-alone Tivo.

I've looked at the FAQs and searched this forum, but am having a tough time finding a good comparison let alone a consensus on any of the new DVD recording hardware available.

Can someone point me to helpful threads and failing that, tell me your experience help me figure out what might be best for my casual needs?

My home theater system is described here.

Your help and suggestions are appreciated! --Karl

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I don't think there is a consensus because each has its limitations. I choose the Phillips 985 because I felt it was the best combo of cost, portability and features, but if you do a search, its no saint.

It does let me:

Record via component video, S-VHS or DV.

Record on a fairly compatible re-writable format, DVD+RW, with locking and bit coding to 2.

Copy fairly easily to inexpensive DVD-R with a DVD-R computer drive.

The DMR-E20/30 does a great job with DVD-RAM, but for some unknown idiotic reason uses a non-standard video format for DVD-RAM that does not permit easy copying to DVD-R or other formats. It also does not support component video or DV inputs.

I haven't seen the Pioneer 7000, but it is supposedly very good, although more expensive. DVD-RW does not have a great reputation for rewrite flexibility but it doesn't have component input. So I don't know if the component input of the Phillips 985 gives better or worse PQ than the s-video of the Pioneer.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Major Astro,

Check out

http://www.dvdplusrw.org/

for their take on the debate. I don't know what the other format camps' web sites are.

I also bought the Philips 985. I like it, but it does have some problems. For example, it is somewhat sensitive to tapes with timebase errors (video that's been copied too many times can suffer from this). One nice feature, though, is the 985's firmware can be upgraded via CD-ROM. Philips' DVDR 1000 has already been upgraded to include write support for DVD +R.

Good luck with you decision!

David

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dwhite601
Major Astro,

Check out

http://www.dvdplusrw.org/

for their take on the debate. I don't know what the other format camps' web sites are.

I also bought the Philips 985. I like it, but it does have some problems. For example, it is somewhat sensitive to tapes with timebase errors (video that's been copied too many times can suffer from this). One nice feature, though, is the 985's firmware can be upgraded via CD-ROM. Philips' DVDR 1000 has already been upgraded to include write support for DVD +R.

Good luck with you decision!

David
Good information from both of you. Thanks. That web link was especially helpful.

After reading this, I'm intrigued by the PC based recorders since I'd be able to archive old material and also use it for backing up data. Unfortunately, it looks like the only external recording sources are IEEE1394 and ATAPI which would make archiving from my Tivo and from my old VHS quite a challenge.

I wonder if there is a easy way to get SVideo into these PC based drives for archiving purposes?

--Karl

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.